“Almost Perfect”
Review of Sylvia Hotel

Sylvia Hotel
Ranked #34 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Booked this hotel almost nine months ago, because of reviews and rates. Spent three nights before our cruise. During the nine month period communicated a couple times before arrival. Responses were always right away, thank you Kyle. Old hotel with great location on the English Bay. Generally clean and the staff is great. Rooms could use a little updating, but nice and clean.Location is perfect between the west end night life and the ability to walk from hotel to downtown area, to Gastown area, and even Granville Island if you enjoy walking.Would recommend highly. Have fun

Room Tip: Try and get a bay view
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

I always like it when Guests remember a staff member or two for the right reasons (great customer service), I will pass along your comments to Kyle and post your comments in the lunch room. The housekeeping department works very hard to keep the hotel spotless and so many guests comment about that which makes me very proud. Thanks for the recommendation. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

The Sylvia has a ton of character. If you can't stand a few cracks in the plaster, or creaks in the floor, or somewhat dated furnishings, or maybe a drawer that doesn't close just right, just don't stay here. Leave it for those of us who appreciate being able to stay in a nice old comfortable place, right on the water, for a reasonable price. I really liked the non-gross, washable, white cotton bedspreads! The only thing that was less than perfect for me was the lack of a pressure balancing valve in our shower, so the temperature fluctuated quite a bit. I was impressed with the housekeeping throughout our stay. I did yoga right on the rug and didn't have any qualms about it! Also, the free wireless worked just swell.

Breakfast is particularly good when it comes to the restaurant--I recommend the buckwheat pancakes with BC blueberries and real maple syrup. Dinner was kind of average, but the bar is a great place for a drink with a nice view of English Bay.

Room Tip: Maybe the plumbing is better in the newer addition part, but I really don't remember. I do know...
1  Thank LauraRoze
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thank-you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. I really enjoy the pancakes as well, nothing better on a cold morning looking at the view of English Bay. I will pass on your kind comments to the head housekeeper to share with her team. They work so very hard to impress our guests with the cleanliness of the hotel. I will also let the maintenance department know about the issue with the water pressure. I hope that you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Historic hotel in great location. Neat small old style rooms. Comfortable, with a case stand! I love that! Short walk to Granville Island markets, short trip by bus to city. Beautiful views. Good dinning with music on Thursdays. We liked it!

Room Tip: Ask for front top floors or lower floors if you want the water views past the trees.
1  Thank jmh2010
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank-you for taking time to write comments about your stay. The location is wonderful and close to everything in Vancouver. Thursday nights are very popular and well attended I was happy to read that you had time to experience entertainment. We hope that you will join us again soon.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

This hotel was recommended by friends who live in Vancouver and we couldn't have been happier.

For the age of the hotel our room was massive and while there were a few creaks and groans in the floorboards they weren't an annoyance, rather a gauge of character. The soundproofing was also incredibly good for a building of this age. The bed was comfortable, room temperature perfect and the bathroom, while not luxurious, was more than adequate and perfectly serviceable.

The restaurant was lovely, the service excellent and very friendly and the location breathtaking.

The lifts are small and slow but this just adds to the character of the place.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Whinnie
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

The hotel is 100 years old and it has its quirks like the floor boards. Thank-you for all your comments. I was happy to read that you enjoyed the restaurant and the service. I will let the staff know. I hope that we can serve you again this year on a return visit to the Vancouver.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had three rooms for a family wedding, on the bay side, June 14 and 15 with one being a suite. It is an older hotel but the rooms are clean and fresh with nice linens. The suite was nicely equipped for four to dine. The windows open to the breeze and with the trees and the beach just outside the door you do not feel the bustle of the city. Seawall walkway to take you around the Park is right outside the door for a refreshing morning jaunt and you can't resist joining the many who gather on the beach to watch the boats and the sunset in the evening. This location cannot be beat.

Check in was fast and easy with friendly staff. Convenient underground parking and I would definitely recommend the restaurant. The food is good and the prices are reasonable.

Thank you Wally for making our stay so memorable and enjoyable. Everyone was thrilled with the time spent at the Sylvia.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank marymary077
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

I love reading when guests bring the whole family to the Sylvia Hotel. I hope that the Wedding party will come back every year to celebrate your vows. I will post your comments in the lunch room to remind my crew how important their jobs are and yes will thank Wally on your behalf. Hope we see you again soon. Congratulations on your happy day and thank-you for making the Sylvia Hotel a part of it.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed at the Sylvia in mid June 2013. We wanted to be close to Stanley Park. We were over joyed to discover you literally walk out the front door and across the street to the little beach area on English Bay and start the walk on the miles long path along the waterfront skirting the outside of Stanley Park. Loved the ivy covered look of the historic hotel. We lucked out and were upgraded (without even asking) to a room with a full kitchen, a living room and the bedroom. The bed was very new and comfortable. Firm but pillowtop. People who prefer the glitz of modern hotels may not like the Sylvia as much. But those who like the charm and character of older buildings, with plaster walls, and the antique look will love it. For the price our room was amazing. We had some water views out the windows, though not straight on. If it had been hotter I would have been unhappy not to have air conditioning. But it was in the 60's, we could open the windows and it was fine. The bathroom was sparkling clean, with the older fixtures you'd expect in a historic hotel. All worked perfectly. If you want to be in the middle of the city action, this is not your hotel. If you want to be at the edge of the city and enjoy all that Stanley park offers, you can't find a better location. Off street parking below for $17/night. It's true there's no one to help you with bags up the steps from curb to reception. We packed light so it wasn't a problem. But we found each staff person to be friendly, helpful, willing to answer all our questions etc.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank-you for your review, I appreciate your comments. The beach is right across the street and Stanley Park is just blocks away. Thanks for mentioning my staff as I believe that they all work hard to assist our guests. I will mention that currently our parking rate is $15.00 not $17.00 however that may change as the city changes the taxes on the stalls. I hope that we will see you again on your next visit to Vancouver.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed at this hotel May 31 to June 2. Great location across from English Bay. Nice restaurant, food very good. Room very well appointed. Best chairs we have ever had at a hotel.
Missed not having a coffee maker. This is an old brick hotel so the elevators are small, but fast. Staff very accomodating. Underground parking for a fee or you can park on the street if you want to find a spot.This hotel is well located so one can access restaurants and shopping within a few blocks walk down Denman street or along the Bay. Close to little foot ferry to take you to the Maritime Museum and Grandville Island. Short walk to Stanley Park.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lobstick01
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Thank-you for taking the time to write a review. The location of the hotel is great for so many reasons, close to everything and the beach across the street. I was happy to read that you enjoyed the great food in the restaurant. We hope that we will see you again in the near future. Thank-you for the great scores and rating.