“Beautiful view”

Ranked #34 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Port Coquitlam BC Canada
“Beautiful view”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

A lovely old hotel. Excellent service in the hotel, lounge and restaurant. I don't have anything bad to say about the hotel. But....I wish the ceilings of the rooms didn't have the same ceiling as my office. Stayed in a room with a king bed which was very comfy. Sat in the lounge and had a few drinks watching the fantastic scenery. You can't gey any closer to the water than this. Wish I could have stayed another night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, cannot go wrong.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
I am happy to read that you took the time to enjoy the lounge and the view. I am sorry that the ceiling tiles in the bedroom reminded you of work, most of the rooms do not have ceiling tiles, so on your next visit you might get one of those rooms. The rooms with a view are great however they are limited, so eating in the restaurant or lounge is the next best thing to enjoy the activities on the beach and seawall. Hope to see you again soon, thank-you for the great scores and review comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed there last |Saturday for my birthday. What a wonderful hotel. The staff were all top notch. The room overrlooked the water and was clean and comfortable. The room service breakfast the next morning was very good and the lounge for cocktails was great. Again great staff and customers. This hotel is located right on English bay and nextdoor to Stanley Park. It's pet friendly but you wouldnt know it as the place was spotless.

1 Thank Andyneedsadrink
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! I am always so happy to read the comments about the service my crew offer, we all work so hard to exceed guest’s expectations. One of my personal favorite things to do is have breakfast in the restaurant over looking English Bay then going for a walk on the seawall around Stanley Park
Seattle
Reviewed March 24, 2013

What a gem of a hotel sitting right on English Bay.
Five star service for an affordable price.

And when bringing my beagle in, to not only not be asked for a pet deposit
or assigned a "special" room.. but to have her greeted with such joy (and treats) was
truly above and beyond.

The restaurant was also phenomenal... food,service,ambiance,view..
My new favorite Vancouver Hotel for certain.

Room Tip: Heated public outdoor pool from May thru Sept. across street and a short walk up the seawall...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank-you for bringing your pet with you on this stay. Yes we are very pet friendly and I believe the only hotel in Vancouver that does not charge for pets. I will pass on your comments to the Chef and Food and Beverage Manager about your comments on the food quality and service, I was happy to read you enjoyed your stay. We
Hope to see you again soon
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Sorry, just average, even though we stay here nearly every time we visit Vancouver. Its age shows in every nook and cranny, in every ill-fitting door and messy paint job. However, the location is unbeatable, the linens and bathrooms are clean, the lunch is great, breakfast adequate and the staff super friendly and helpful. There's free wi-fi which is one of my must-haves. So we will continue to return. Renovations are underway so that might mitigate the defects.

Hey Sylvia! I would love to have full length mirrors in the rooms, and a magnifying mirror in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Request a view of the magnificent English Bay.
1 Thank Beachwriter1
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank-you for your comments, we are 100 years old this year and yes we are doing some renovations to upgrade the hallways. I am happy to read that you appreciate the cleanliness of the hotel and the continued great service that you have enjoyed in the past. The new menu is a hit with all of our guests and I hope that we will see you again soon. Not sure we will add the full length mirrors however; I can add it to the list of recommendations for the future.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

No "plastic" here. Renovations are trying to pay attention to keeping the "old" in this vintage hotel. All staff, at EVERY encounter were wonderful. The location of this hotel is most unique allowing guests to be part of the variety of activities on the beach out front. Our stay for our anniversary weekend was simply delightful.

2 Thank bigJ65
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Thank-you for joining us on your anniversary and your kind comments about my crew. Yes we are doing some renovations to keep the hotel true to our heritage. We hope to see you again when coming to Vancouver as I know you enjoyed the location and service. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Lovely old hotel with a lot of character. A quirky room full of windows, comfy bed, and an amazing view of English Bay. Room service was at the door before I could have boiled water. The staff in general were polite and efficient. You are transported back to days gone by as you tour the hotel. A Vancouver gem, enjoy it for what it is, a historic old hotel celebrating her 100 birthday. Happy Birthday Sylvia Hotel!

• Stayed March 2013
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank-you for staying with us. I will pass along your comments to the Food and Beverage Manager to thank the room service attendant for great fast service; they all work hard to exceed the guest’s expectation. The views are great of English Bay. Thank-you for the birthday wishes; hope to see you again this year
Lancashire
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Visited the bar for wine after touring Stanley Park. Excellent location with great views of English Bay. Comfortably furnished and welcoming the only downside was slow service (mainly because they were so busy!) in fact the waiter declined to open and pour our bottle of wine because he was "too busy". Would I go there again? Yes.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank-you for your comments, I was happy to see that you would return and please accept my apologies for the slow service. If you could call me or email me about when you were in so that I can see which bartender was working so I can follow up on your comments about the wine service. Hope to see you again soon.