“Budget hotel - could be so much more”
Review of Sylvia Hotel

Sylvia Hotel
Ranked #34 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Perth, Australia
“Budget hotel - could be so much more”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed here for three days near the end of September. The staff were very helpful and dedicated and highly professional. I heard them offerring really detailed information that was tailored to specific guests requests while I was using the computer in the reception lobby.
The location is first class and the hotel cost was budget-end prices, but accordingly there are not many inclusions. Our room did not have a view despite the magnificent position of the property facing English Beach and close to Stanley Park and Granville Island. Perhaps we should have enquired about an upgrade but friends we were travelling with had booked it and seemed happy with the price.

The outside of the hotel and the timber-panelled reception with antique elevators give a stately impression but unfortunately it is really more faded glory beyond that. It is a pity that the hotel has not capitalised on this by doing a big renovation and providing really up to date facilities in the rooms and doing up the bathrooms. We have stayed at several historic hotels which have managed to do this really well, so its certainly achievable.

Our room was a bit spartan - it had no fridge, no tea or coffee making facilities (but to their credit when we asked for a kettle and milk, it was supplied to our door with a smile. We happened to have some tea bags with us.) The room itself was a reasonable size but was a bit uninspiring - practical and homely but no memorable furnishings. (Bizarrely I noticed that of the three framed items of artwork in the bedroom, two were identical and this was the same in our friends' room across the hall.) As other reviewers have commented, the bathroom was pretty dated, although clean and well lit. Carpets in the room and hallways were old and very evidently patched in places - the hall on level 2 even had this section than was ramped up past a couple of rooms, then ramped down again - it reminded us a bit of Faulty Towers. Fortunately we spent most of our time out of the room as we had lots to see and do.

I could not work out whether the hotel was aiming at business people (free coffee between 6am and 7am downstairs?) or tourists like us. With a big well considered refit internally it could so easily match the external grandeur - the location would support this. I think it could be top of the Tripadvisor ratings as a boutique quirky hotel, sadly its a bit run down and down at heel at present.

Room Tip: Ask for a view across the Bay.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank-you for all the details and opinions about your stay with us. Unfortunately not rooms have views; I wish they did as every guest would enjoy a view of English Bay. Every year we try and get into the rooms to upgrade what ever needs to be done, however we run full most of the year so it makes it hard to do Reno’s with out inconveniencing our guests. This year we hope to upgrade the hallways.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We recently stayed at the sylvia hotel as we had a wedding to attend in stanley park, the sylvia was conveniently located and our room was great. The manager and the staff were very friendly and accomodating. We will stay at the sylvia hotel again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for giving my crew accolades for the friendly service they offered while you stayed with us. So happy to read that you will be back. I hope you enjoyed the wine (nice picture you posted with your review) As the Manager I appreciate the mention as well.
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed at the Sylvia from July 28th to the 31st, 2012. The staff was excellent – very friendly and helpful and polite and just great customer service all around. It was my first time in B.C., so before I came (I am from Ontario) I would call the hotel periodically to ask about local attractions, the weather, etc. Everyone I talked to was, again, super helpful and polite and great.

Actually, I found that everything about the hotel was great. The restaurant, the room we stayed in, the location (right on the beach, walking distance to Stanley Park)….everything was perfect. I loved the old-school charm of the place too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Great review of the service offered by my staff, I will be posting your comments in the lunch room for the staff to read. I feel that they are all terrific. Happy to see that you feel the same way. We all look forward to serving you again, hopefully soon.
Chichester
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is a traditional hoteland with a room overlooking English Bay we were well placed to enjoy Vancouver and recover from the flight. Pleasant, friendly and helpful staff. Breakfasts were a bit mass-produced.
Would definitely stay there again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thank-you for your comments and taking the time to write a review. Happy to read that you will return, we will look forward to seeing you again.
Rhinelander, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The location was great. It houses a fine restaurant. The staff were friendly and informative. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The building is quiet and the climate was great. Lots of Character. You could spend hours just watching the people and traffic.

Room Tip: Request a Bay side view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank-you for your comments, location, location need I say more? I agree my work very hard to ensure that every guest enjoys their stay. People watching are one of my favorite things to do in the area, so much going on. Sit on a bench across the street or sit the lounge and watch Vancouver people do what they do best, be active. Hope to see you again soon.
Canada
Reviewed October 3, 2012

It feel like an older European hotel. Lots of character, a great pub with Thursday night entertainment. Easy walking distance to other restaurants and sidewalk coffee cafes. The best part is - it's just down the way from the sea wall of Stanley Park; if you love to walk this is for you. If it's not raining you will see the most amazing sunsets over the ocean; there are many park benches on the beach to enjoy the end of the day

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean. They have underground parking for a small fee.
1 Thank CanadaCypress
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank-you for writing, I could put your entire review in our brochure. This month the sun sets have been fantastic. Parking is $15.00 per night (1/2 of what other parking charges are in the area.) FYI
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I had a friend visiting from London, England and we had only one night in Vancouver so HAD to stay at the Sylvia. I requested a water view when I made my reservation and our room was fabulous. A corner unit on the 7th floor with four windows... three overlooking English Bay and one with an interesting cityscape. The room was clean and bright and the staff very friendly. We had breakfast in our room (very tasty) so as not to miss a moment of the great view. Our only slight disappointment was that the room had no coffee maker and no kettle for tea.

1 Thank Jackie B
Welcome, happy to hear that your friend from London enjoyed their stay. The views from the 7th and 8th floors are a spectacular, large window that open and keeps the fresh air flowing thru the room keeping everything fresh. Thanks for mentioning my staff and the great service they offer. They all work hard and I believe very good at their jobs. I appreciate all of them.