“Vancouver Beach hotel”
Review of Sylvia Hotel

Sylvia Hotel
Ranked #34 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed October 3, 2012

It feel like an older European hotel. Lots of character, a great pub with Thursday night entertainment. Easy walking distance to other restaurants and sidewalk coffee cafes. The best part is - it's just down the way from the sea wall of Stanley Park; if you love to walk this is for you. If it's not raining you will see the most amazing sunsets over the ocean; there are many park benches on the beach to enjoy the end of the day

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean. They have underground parking for a small fee.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CanadaCypress
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Thank-you for writing, I could put your entire review in our brochure. This month the sun sets have been fantastic. Parking is $15.00 per night (1/2 of what other parking charges are in the area.) FYI

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I had a friend visiting from London, England and we had only one night in Vancouver so HAD to stay at the Sylvia. I requested a water view when I made my reservation and our room was fabulous. A corner unit on the 7th floor with four windows... three overlooking English Bay and one with an interesting cityscape. The room was clean and bright and the staff very friendly. We had breakfast in our room (very tasty) so as not to miss a moment of the great view. Our only slight disappointment was that the room had no coffee maker and no kettle for tea.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jackie B
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Welcome, happy to hear that your friend from London enjoyed their stay. The views from the 7th and 8th floors are a spectacular, large window that open and keeps the fresh air flowing thru the room keeping everything fresh. Thanks for mentioning my staff and the great service they offer. They all work hard and I believe very good at their jobs. I appreciate all of them.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed in the Sylvia because it was so highly recommended. Our expectations may have been a little high. From the exterior the hotel is impressive and stately and ivy-covered. The best I can say of the decor in our room was that it was clean. The bedspreads, the furniture and the fittings in the bathroom were dated and downright homely. For so highly rated a hotel I guess I thought the room should be a little nice-looking. We stayed in a room with 2 queen-sized beds and a kitchenette. We had everything we needed, but it wasn't a room I wanted to linger in at all. That worked out fine, as we were in Vancouver to see the sights.
The hotel is in a great location if you're interested in seeing Stanley Park. We rented bicycles and rode them on the trail that circles the park. It was a beautiful ride. If you are interested in keeping the cost of your hotel low and staying close to the park I would point you towards the Sylvia.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

I would like to thank the person that recommended the Sylvia Hotel to you, could you pass along a thank-you for me. We are a heritage site and the hotel is 100 years old. Comfortable and clean are things all Manager want to hear about their property. The kitchen units are all fully stocked with everything you would need. Hope your family stays with us again soon.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We had a great 3-night stay at the Sylvia. After checking in, we asked for a small refrigerator and it was delivered to our room. It's a great location on the West end, just across from the Sunset Beach Park. It's an old hotel, but well maintained.

Room Tip: Suites with a small kitchen are available
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Short and to the point. Thank-you for your comments. hope you get back up to Vancouver again one day, I see that you come from Colorado, a place I love to visit, I hope to get back their again soon myself.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

I am surprised nobody in past reviews has mentioned the great location? Yes, tongue firmly planted in cheek :). It certainly has a quirky and warm demeanor to it, right down to having to leave your hotel room key at the front desk when you leave (not just when you check out). The rooms and decor bring about elegance, while the more modern television and bathroom fixtures give you those creature comforts when you retire to your room and wake up (the only time you should really be spending in a hotel). Absolutely perfect spot to start your run, being steps from Beach Road. I did close to an 8 K (there and back) in the morning and not once had to stray from the waterside. The jaunt along the beach line (breathing in clean air and) was a perfect way to start the day.

Room Tip: I travel more for business than pleasure and found my room a bit small, but considering the trip was...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Some humor in a review, great. Lots of runners and dog people love staying with us as they love the area. It is perfect with the seawall right across the street, flat and safe and beautiful, great for runs and walking your pet. So happy that you took full advantage of the location and the great weather we had all of last week. We hope to see you again on the west coast and when you do stay with us and bring your runners.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

We normally stay in B&Bs (we love the Auld Dublin Guest House), but this trip we had such a large group we needed somewhere with more rooms.
The Sylvia had such good evaluations and the manager seems very responsive to concerns raised, so we gave it a shot:
Literally two blocks from Stanley Park, one block from the wonderful varied restaurants of Denman Street, a short walk to the taxi-ferries to Granville Island (and more); the Sylvia's location puts everything you want in a city visit in your grasp.
The staff was helpful and accommodating: when we needed another room they were able to find space, helping our vacation party stay together.
This is an old building, but we found it clean and well-maintained - obviously well cared for.
I've seen negative comments about having to pay for parking, but between the great public transportation and great location, we've never needed a rental car while visiting Vancouver.

Room Tip: Denman Street is busy on Friday & Saturday nights, so ask for a higher floor if noise is a probl...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

As the Manager I have to say thank-you for noticing that I do answer all reviews offered by our guests. I enjoy hearing from our guests about their stay. Parking is only $15.00 per night (which is great value for this area) Please bring back your family any time.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We had a wonderful stay here with its delightful ambiance, and perfect location to Stanley Park, and city activites! Across the street is the park and bay! What a great spot with restaurants, and walkable sights! We definitely will return here!

• Stayed: August 2012
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

I can tell that you are an experienced traveler, you mentioned all the right things that other Guests would like to know. I am sure they will appreciate as I do your comments. Thank-you for your comments.