“Hotel, great location”
Review of Sylvia Hotel

Sylvia Hotel
Ranked #34 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We had a great 3-night stay at the Sylvia. After checking in, we asked for a small refrigerator and it was delivered to our room. It's a great location on the West end, just across from the Sunset Beach Park. It's an old hotel, but well maintained.

Room Tip: Suites with a small kitchen are available
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Short and to the point. Thank-you for your comments. hope you get back up to Vancouver again one day, I see that you come from Colorado, a place I love to visit, I hope to get back their again soon myself.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,539)

Reviewed September 23, 2012

I am surprised nobody in past reviews has mentioned the great location? Yes, tongue firmly planted in cheek :). It certainly has a quirky and warm demeanor to it, right down to having to leave your hotel room key at the front desk when you leave (not just when you check out). The rooms and decor bring about elegance, while the more modern television and bathroom fixtures give you those creature comforts when you retire to your room and wake up (the only time you should really be spending in a hotel). Absolutely perfect spot to start your run, being steps from Beach Road. I did close to an 8 K (there and back) in the morning and not once had to stray from the waterside. The jaunt along the beach line (breathing in clean air and) was a perfect way to start the day.

Room Tip: I travel more for business than pleasure and found my room a bit small, but considering the trip was...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Some humor in a review, great. Lots of runners and dog people love staying with us as they love the area. It is perfect with the seawall right across the street, flat and safe and beautiful, great for runs and walking your pet. So happy that you took full advantage of the location and the great weather we had all of last week. We hope to see you again on the west coast and when you do stay with us and bring your runners.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

We normally stay in B&Bs (we love the Auld Dublin Guest House), but this trip we had such a large group we needed somewhere with more rooms.
The Sylvia had such good evaluations and the manager seems very responsive to concerns raised, so we gave it a shot:
Literally two blocks from Stanley Park, one block from the wonderful varied restaurants of Denman Street, a short walk to the taxi-ferries to Granville Island (and more); the Sylvia's location puts everything you want in a city visit in your grasp.
The staff was helpful and accommodating: when we needed another room they were able to find space, helping our vacation party stay together.
This is an old building, but we found it clean and well-maintained - obviously well cared for.
I've seen negative comments about having to pay for parking, but between the great public transportation and great location, we've never needed a rental car while visiting Vancouver.

Room Tip: Denman Street is busy on Friday & Saturday nights, so ask for a higher floor if noise is a probl...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

As the Manager I have to say thank-you for noticing that I do answer all reviews offered by our guests. I enjoy hearing from our guests about their stay. Parking is only $15.00 per night (which is great value for this area) Please bring back your family any time.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We had a wonderful stay here with its delightful ambiance, and perfect location to Stanley Park, and city activites! Across the street is the park and bay! What a great spot with restaurants, and walkable sights! We definitely will return here!

• Stayed: August 2012
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

I can tell that you are an experienced traveler, you mentioned all the right things that other Guests would like to know. I am sure they will appreciate as I do your comments. Thank-you for your comments.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I had heard that 'The Sylvia " hotel was a nice hotel, but had never stayed in it, as i live in Vancouver. My mom treated me to a room, as my apt was getting renovated. The hotel is located down by English Bay, and Stanley Park. A great location for those who like to be close to the ocean , go for a stroll ...enjoy the beauty of Vancouver. For a hotel that is over 100 years old. It has been well taken care of. Yes the hallways could have a little more work done on them. But the rooms are very nice. We stayed in one of the smallest rooms 15 x15 feet. It has a queen size bed, but seemed like a double? We had a view of some trees and some ivy. There was a small updated bathroom, very clean, and bright. There is a good size flat screen tv, and a closet. For such a small room....it was well laid out. We had a very good sleep, as it was very quiet. There is a nice restaurant on the main floor of the hotel, which serves a delicious breakfast, lunch or dinner. On Thursday nights there is live music, It has a great view of english bay, and you can enjoy a beautiful sunset from your seat.
I think the only complaint we, and others may have, is that they only give you one room key. Which may inconvienance some people.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Please thank your Mother for the recommendation, happy to hear that you had some fun time with us and enjoyed the location. The chef and restaurant crew will be happy to hear that you enjoyed all your meals and the service when your apt was being repaired. As for the one key comment, we have used this system for 100 years (this is to ensure that the keys don't get lost around the city or are taken home by mistake, plus it helps us get to know our guests better). When you leave your room drop of the key and pick it up when you return, if you get back before the other person in your room they will pick up the key and you can let them in when they arrive, the system has been working well and I do not see us changing until we are forced to upgrade to electronic locks. I really hope that you choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is the place for sunset views from the restaurant and bar (blankets provided if you're sitting outdoors), or simply cross the street to the Sea Wall path for an evening stroll. Choose a bench and enjoy the truly splendid view of English Bay and Pacific sunset. Explore Stanley Park on foot or by bike - the trails are literally steps away. Ample selection of restaurants and cafes nearby. Hotel is 100 years old, but we were in the newer wing, spacious king room with pleasant decor, flat screen TV, but no frills like fridge or coffee maker. I didn't see an air conditioner, but it's not really necessary in Vancouver. We were on a lower floor, facing away from the street, and slept well - it was dead quiet at night. Staff were friendly and professional, and It was fun to look at the historic photos in the lobby. The restaurant was disappointing - gluey soup (I had to send my first bowl back, as it was lukewarm and contained not a speck of the advertised smoked salmon.) Breakfast was pleasant, very friendly servers, but their system seemed disorganized and again the food was served unimaginatively and could easily have been upgraded - for example, why serve the oatmeal with just a pot of brown sugar when adding a few nuts and dried fruits on the side would make it special? (fresh fruit topping is available but costs extra). Go for the location and ambiance!

Room Tip: Ask for a view room on higher floors.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

A well written review. I will pass along your comments to the F&B Manager about the oatmeal. We are proud of our Heritage and my crew work very hard to ensure that every room is spotlessly clean and we do often get great comments about the quality of the beds. After all we do sell sleep. Being in a residential area the street and area are very quiet.

Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Sylvia is a pretty good place to stay. It is old but the location makes up for any limitations created by it's age. It's close to great dining, transportation, Stanley Park and the beautiful view of English Bay.

• Stayed: September 2012

Thank-you for staying with us. The location is great and the views are the best in the city in my opinion. 100 years and going strong. Hope to see you again soon.