“great location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Sydney, Australia
“great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

The Sylvia has a great location, beautiful views, lots of atmosphere, friendly staff. I asked for a room on a lower floor and got one on the second floor, but above the side entrance that guests use after hours, so there was some noise at night. Also discovered that the walls are paper-thin, and I could hear little kids next door bouncing on the bed - could have been worse, I suppose! The bathroom was clean but had a mouldy smell.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2011
Thank-you for your comments, We work very hard to ensure that we take care of everything that we can control, in the summer people are up later and lots of people around at night enjoying the beach across the street. Yes the bathrooms are small but as you mentioned very clean, not sure what that smell you referrered is? I have gone to the room you stayed in and could not find anything out of the ordinary however thank-you for bringing it to my attention.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
Hartford, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

We booked this hotel because we came to B.C. to view the Celebration of Lights fireworks competition. The location is perfect right on English Bay, adjacent to Stanley Park. This is a very old, historic hotel and the rooms reflect that. (Don't expect modern luxurious rooms). I requested a high room #, but when we arrived they could only give me the second floor. There is an onsite parking garage for guests (extra $) from which the license plate was STOLEN off my rental car. That turned in to a huge hastle to attempt to exchange this vehicle when in a foreign country (we drove up from Seattle). The hotel was aplogetic, but there was nothing they could do to help. Maybe they need better security coverage in their garage?
We only had to walk across the street to claim our spot and watch the fireworks, which were amazing. The beach was PACKED! And it was very nice to just run up to our room for bathroom breaks instead of using the smelly porta-potties on the beach.
The morning of our checkout we wanted to try the Hotels restaurant for breakfast. We stood at the check-in podium with a few other people waiting for a hostess.... no one ever came. We can easily see inside the restaurant as 5 or 6 waiters served people and walked by us numerous times. No one ever helped us. After about 5 or 10 minutes of waiting with other parties, we left. They should have one less waiter to have someone standing at the checkin desk. They lost our business that morning and we walked elsewhere. Good thing there are tons of shops and restaurants in walking distance!

Next time we will try another hotel. The combination of the above problems kinda spoiled our 3 nights in B.C.

Room Tip: Most Bay-View rooms are obstructed by the trees that line the opposite side of the street
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lucinda88420
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2011
The fireworks are very special and you are right, our guests love the location and convenience. I am sorry that your lic plate was stolen and the issues that come from that. We do have security on 7 nights per week and on fire works nights 4 guards on duty. It is very rare that we have any issues with security; we consider the parking area very safe. Not all rooms have views and yes the trees over the year have grown. I am very concerned that you were not acknowledged while waiting for a seat in the restaurant; even though we were very busy you should have been acknowledged for the I am sorry. I will forward your comments to the Food and Beverage Manager as well.
Annapolis, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

The Sylvia has charm, a pleasant staff, a good location on English Bay and practically next to Stanley Park, and a decent restaurant and solid bar. The hotel itself needs to be renovated... room was pretty shabby with no air conditioning...and the windows didn't have screens so I had a few flies to keep me company. If you are a light sleeper It would be tough to get some shut eye. The bathroom rally needed a marble and tile facelift.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Thank-you for your comments, I see that you rated us very high on cleanliness and service, these issues are very important to me. The hotel is 99 years old and the bathrooms are small, over the years we have found that there is no need for air conditioners in the rooms as all the windows open and a breeze from English bay seem to do the job, plus our guests say that they like the fresh air. We plan like every year to keep improving the hotel any way we can so thank-you for your input, we look forward to seeing you again on your next stay.
New Westminster, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

The staff was helpful and friendly and the location is breathtaking!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Short and sweet review. Thanks, hope to see you again soon.
Calgary , Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

we where staying at the Sylvia for a Wedding . The Service for the Price we paid was
plain terrible. The Ocean or Harbour View was none existent . All we looked at was a Wall of Tree's , altough we paid extra for an Harbour View. No Coffee Machine , Fridge etc.
The Bathroom was like a Closet , tight and narrow. Not what I expected for $490.00 . And the Front end Staff was not very helpfull or unwilling to do so. Overall not a good Experience.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank duslbeck
I am sorry that you did not see the value in your stay with us. The trees over the years have grown up and do restrict some of the views in summer, when the leaves fall off the trees the view is much better in some rooms. The $490.00 was for two nights stay with taxes and other charges so it is unfair in my opinion to state that the way you did. I feel that we do offer good value for the money. Again I am sorry that the lack of view spoiled your stay.
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

We (2 adults, six year old son) stayer at the Sylvia for three nights during our trip through Canada. We enjoyed our stay a lot. Very friendly front desk staff, getting our of their way to help with anything we asked. Our room (317) was large. You feel that this is an old building, and it has retained its charms. Nicely decorated and very clean.

The location is good, close to Denman Street with dozens of restaurants of all types, the hop-on-hop-of bus stops pretty much in front of the hotel, and the beach is across the street. Also bike rental for tours through Stanley park are in walking distance.

We can really recommend this hotel

• 5 of 5 bubbles
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay withy us. I agree that my staff do a great job. I will pass along your comments to the cleaning crew about your comments and I know that they will be happy to hear that all the hard work they do is noticed by the guests. Based on your comments I hope to see you again on your next visit to Vancouver. Have a safe return trip home.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

My husband and I spent ten days at the Sylvia in August 2011. Full disclosure: we discovered this hotel some twenty years ago and have been traveling there ever since. The hotel is situated next to Stanley Park (probably the best city park in the world), and we were meters away from the beach (visible from our hotel windows). The location is perfect.

The hotel is old and those who are looking for Bauhaus-style or Louis XVI-style furniture etc. will be disappointed. The Sylvia is very British and very modest in its room appointments. But the beds were spotless, the pillows just right, our kitchenette acceptable, and so was the restaurant (those who like English breakfast will give it higher marks than I). Miles of trails in Stanley Park and around the peninsula/seawall. Informal surroundings, yet with a touch of that Britishness that makes things predictable and orderly. I give the hotel an A; I once traveled to Vancouver on business and stayed in a posh hotel downtown, but I would not exchange Sylvia for it. If you like nature and a relaxed yet civilized atmosphere, Sylvia is for you.

1 Thank onediogenes1
bobbyGRichmond, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
I am so thankful that 100 years ago a very smart forward thinking man thought a hotel should be built right across the beach of English Bay and only blocks from Stanley Park. Our guests have being coming ever since to enjoy the sun sets, views and a quiet so close to such a beautiful city. The Sylvia Hotel has been serving guests and will continue to do so for all of those that find their way to our door. Like many of the rest we hope to convert you as well to someone that will come back year after year.