“LOVE this hotel”
Review of Sylvia Hotel

Sylvia Hotel
Ranked #34 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed August 4, 2011

My wife and I recently had the pleasure of celebrating our 60th. Wedding Anniversary at Vancouver's premier heritage hotel, "The Sylvia". Sixty years ago, we spent our honeymoon at this same hotel in June, 1951. The ivy covered building was, and still remains, one of the most scenic locations in Vancouver - perched overlooking English Bay and the west end. The rooms and lobby retain their original, historic character, and the service and amenities are top notch!! Special kudos to the manager, Ross Dyck, who's hospitality made our stay very, very special. We both appreciated it. Charlie and Doreen Warner

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2011

I wanted to again congratulate you and your wife on 60 years together. I love hearing the stories like yours and happy that we were here to be a part of it. Sounds like you had a great time. I was happy to help is a small way. We hope to see you again soon. Thanks for your kind words.

There are newer reviews for Sylvia Hotel

Reviewed August 3, 2011

An odd, unpleasant odor fills the entire hotel. The rooms are old fashioned -without any irony or charm -and generally have a depressing decor. The food at the restaurant downstairs is worthy of a cheap diner and the service at reception is unfriendly and poor. The are infinitely better places to stay in this city for what they charge, and certainly for much less. Avoid!

• Stayed: September 2010
2  Thank TravelisLondon

I am sorry that you did not see the value in your stay with us. I would hope that in the future you would say something to the General Manager or Front desk clerks if you were unhappy with something to give us an opportunity to aid in making your stay more enjoyable. The hotel is 100 years old as you can read from other guests on this site that we do appeal to allot of guests that appreciate our heritage. For the location and service we feel that we offer a fair deal and competitive rates. You are entitled to your option however I do feel that it is unfair to say that we are a RIP OFF and to AVOID US when you did not even have the courtesy of speaking to us first. However we are not a hotel that meets everyone’s needs but I can assure you that if you bring concerns to my attention I would have tried to make you more comfortable, when you do not say anything it is hard to help.

Reviewed July 29, 2011

beautiful spot in the west end, so convenient to activities in English Bay area and downtown, great for the summer fireworks competition as well.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2011

We are the closest hotel to the fireworks (which are tonight) and right across the beach from English bay. Book early if you want a room on fireworks nights we are often booked a year in advance. So will we see you again next year? Book early to avoid disappointment. You can book a reservation for dinner on fireworks nights and just walk across street for the best seat in the house. Thanks for your comments.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

We tried the Sylvia after many years of thinking about it. It is an older hotel, but situated right across the street from a parkway and English Bay in Vancouver. The room (no view) was surprisingly large, with ample sofa and armchair in one half, the bed in the other. Apparently the hotel has been a hotel, then an apartment building, and again a hotel, so it explains the size and the layout. I do fear, though, that a person over six two or three might have real difficulty using the toilet. As it was, one had to get one's knees under the counter (in a created opening) while sitting. All was clean, paint fresh - or looked that way - and neat. The closet was big. One could keep a trunk there, if one still used a trunk. The real plus, to my mind, was accessibility to the walk/bikeway that goes around Vancouver. I could walk into Stanley Park with ease. On the way it is easy to observe the water, ships, yachts, and a variety of wildlife. Most interesting were a pair of raccoons in a tide pool, scratching underwater for brunch. There are people out walking, and it is a very small town feel, even while one is in a major Canadian city.

Room Tip: Don't plan to have a coffee making machine - there is none.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

You are correct the hotel was converted in the 30's to an apartment for a short time and then converted back to a hotel; some rooms are very large some are very small; we have rooms for all needs. As you pointed out some of the bathrooms are very small but very clean. I see you met some of the local creatures that live in the park near by. It sounds to me like you enjoyed your stay and will be back again. We will welcome you back with open arms and a smile.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

We just returned home from 3 nights at the Sylvia Hotel. The location is ideal. The hotel itself could use a bit of updating. The staff was friendly, and helpful. Breakfast was reasonably priced. Feel the hotel is a bit overpriced for the condition of the hotel. They do charge for parking, but that seems to be the norm for Vancouver hotels.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

The Sylvia hotel will be 100 years old next year (2012) so many years of offering our guests a great Vancouver hotel experience has left some marks, upgrades to some area will be looked at in the off season. Our rates are very reasonable for the location and during peak season, if you visit Vancouver and stay with us in the off season the rates are lower, plus we have weekly and monthly rates with rooms with full kitchens from November thru April. We hope to see you again, maybe next year for our 100th??

Reviewed July 25, 2011

I had often come to Sylvia for cocktails but this was my first stay. I was here for 8 nights; my husband joined me half way. I came in late the first night and was assigned a tiny room. On the following day, I requested a larger room to the staff given the lenght of my stay. Without problem, they offered me a much larger room, which was very comfortable. The staff also kindly brought a small fridge and that help keep the OJ and fruit fresh.

It is true that the Sylvia is old - in fact, it is one of the oldest in town... the very first to open a cocktail bar in Vancouver. But that is part of its charm. If a traveler is looking for modern decor and amenities, this is not the place for them. If a traveler is looking for authenticity and charm, Sylvia is the place to be. Right on the beautiful English Bay, which offers stunning sun sets, and steps away from the awesome Stanley Park.

Rachel

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2011

I am so happy that after so many years of visiting our lounge you stayed in one of our rooms. We have a number of room types all different sizes, so for the longer stay upgrading you to a larger room made sense and we were happy to do it. We can not always upgrade at this time of year however in your case it worked out well. We will look forward to your next visit, thank-you for your comments.

Reviewed July 24, 2011

It's not the newest, nor the flashiest, and yes there are some worn spots and a few head-scratching nooks and crannies, but the Sylvia delivers comfort, convenience, and sophistication with understated style. We had a king suite on the seventh floor and were treated to a stunning view and deep quiet, along with a full kitchen and separate living room. There were closets galore and when we ordered coffee, it arrived promptly, hot and delicious at a minimal cost. Parking is simple, with a garage under accessed by a private elevator. The desk clerk even let my sister park for free there when she came to visit us. The neighborhood is the best in downtown Vancouver with access to the funky stores and eateries on Denman and to the beautiful Stanley Park.

The restaurant and bar are classic with direct overlook of English Bay. A very relaxing stay for three of us. We'd go back to the Sylvia ANYtime.

Room Tip: 701 was great
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

It makes me very happy when I read comments like yours; we train our staff and set high standards for service and when I read comments like yours I know that we are on the right track. I will post your comments in the lunch room to remind our crew that the hard work they do does make a difference. Not all rooms have the same closet space but the service will always be as expected. Thanks for posting the pictures.