“Just About Perfect”
Review of Sylvia Hotel

Sylvia Hotel
Ranked #34 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed July 24, 2011

It's not the newest, nor the flashiest, and yes there are some worn spots and a few head-scratching nooks and crannies, but the Sylvia delivers comfort, convenience, and sophistication with understated style. We had a king suite on the seventh floor and were treated to a stunning view and deep quiet, along with a full kitchen and separate living room. There were closets galore and when we ordered coffee, it arrived promptly, hot and delicious at a minimal cost. Parking is simple, with a garage under accessed by a private elevator. The desk clerk even let my sister park for free there when she came to visit us. The neighborhood is the best in downtown Vancouver with access to the funky stores and eateries on Denman and to the beautiful Stanley Park.

The restaurant and bar are classic with direct overlook of English Bay. A very relaxing stay for three of us. We'd go back to the Sylvia ANYtime.

Room Tip: 701 was great
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2011

It makes me very happy when I read comments like yours; we train our staff and set high standards for service and when I read comments like yours I know that we are on the right track. I will post your comments in the lunch room to remind our crew that the hard work they do does make a difference. Not all rooms have the same closet space but the service will always be as expected. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Reviewed July 15, 2011

We have been coming to the Sylvia for many years.
It is like "coming home" each year.
We always feel so welcome by the courteous and amenable staff.
I cannot say enough good things about staying at the Sylvia.
I would also add that the restaurant and bar are excellent choices for dining or drinks with scenic English Bay views.
This hotel isn't for everyone. If you are looking for high end everything with high speed elevators, valet parking, 24 hour room service, AC, spa, etc, then this hotel isn't for you.
If you are someone who can appreciate a clean and comfortable, well managed historic hotel in a wonderful setting beside English Bay, with all of the amenities you could ever need without the frills, then you will love this very special hotel.
And did I mention it happens to be located in one of the world's most beautiful and delightful cities? My only regret about staying at the Sylvia is having to leave.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Welcome back, happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay again; we have so many guests that return year after year. I often hear the same comments from other guests. We are not like allot of other hotels in Vancouver. The Sylvia hotel is a special place indeed. We will look forward to your next visit. Thanks for your wonderful comments.

Reviewed July 14, 2011

My 11 year old son freaked out when we arrived. He said "mom! why did you book such an old hotel, you know it's haunted!" Turns out he was right. We stayed in room 604 which
has a seperate room with a twin bed which I slept in to get some peace and quiet. Someone sat on me twice, then tried to lie down. It was annoying, since I was not able
to get back to sleep. I asked the early morning agent about anything being reported,
he did say he's been poked while brushing his teeth in the restroom, but no one is around.
The rooms smell moldy, but the location is great, and the restaurant and bar is good.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Terianne19
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2011

Thank-you for the great scores and comments about your stay. I have no explaination for what you say was haunted? No other guests have told me about that kind of experience? Yes we will be celebrating our 100 year old Hotel next year so alot has happened over the years. If we ever do find out that we have spirits in the hotel we will need to find a way to charge them for thier stay. I have looked into the "moldy smell" you mentioned but could not smell anything when the housekeeper and I went to that room. Thank-you agian for your comments, happy to hear that you have a story to tell your friends about your stay at the Sylvia Hotel.

Reviewed July 4, 2011

Ok, so it's not like all of those other hotels that offer first-rate amenities, newspapers at the door and robes in the bathroom. Had enough of those? Because they all look the same. But at the Sylvia, you get the best location in Vancouver in a landmark hotel which is truly part of the history of the city and a feeling of charm that creeps out at you from all corners, recalling by-gone days of glory, hard times and yes, even resurrection. There's hope for all of us with a few wrinThe Sylvia is a magical place.

We reserved a day ahead for two nights, and upon arriving got upgraded to a one bedroom with kitchen and LR/DR on the corner overlooking English Bay. Oh man, did that ever feel good walking in that room. Nine - count 'em - nine full windows that all opened, letting in the ocean breezes and sounds of the west end. Walking out of the hotel, you have English Bay at your doorstep, left to the beach, right to the seawall, which we took all the way around Stanley Park to Coal Harbour and then to town. You couldn't ask for a better location if your goal is to just breathe in the atmosphere of this beautiful city.

That night we had a great dinner in the restaurant overlooking the sunset on the beach with great staff and lots of attention. A family run hotel this size is almost impossible to find nowadays, let alone in such a great spot.

This one has been in the same hands since the 50's. Sure it's a little tired and her wrinkles are showing, but like visiting your favourite aunt, the one that always loved you best, it's a pleasure to visit her over and over, not just because she's got the best pad on the beach.

Strongly recommended as a break from the 4 star uniformity out there. You won't regret it.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KerryMontreal
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2011

Thank-you for your kind words about the Sylvia Hotel. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay, I often hear that people compare the feeling of staying here to "going home" when they tell me about thier stay. I love it when people see us as family. I will pass along your comments about the Restaurant to the staff and the Chef. We are looking forward to your next visit. Ross Dyck General Manager

Reviewed July 1, 2011

Liked- location right by English Beach and plenty to do, wireless worked, which was great for my US 'smart' phone that did not work in Canada for calls, restaurant on site for a spinach salad, and friendly enough staff.
Disliked- one community computer in the lobby that was incredibly slow and often busy Sylvia is on the edge of old and charming vs. time to replace those carpets. Asking about the three tourist buses (Pink, Big bus and Trolley) and how to choose led to the sharing of one brochure. 'that's all we have'. End of story. I know it is sort of a trite thing to do, but when jet lagged on day #1 it can be ok. No window screens, yet hey, the windows open!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo

I appreciate your comments about the "community computer" in the lobby, at this time we do only have one computer that we offer free of charge for our Guests to use. I am sorry that it was being used when you needed it. With more and more people needing computer time I may have to look at getting a second computer in the off season. Thank-you for your comments and hope to see you agian on your next visit.

Reviewed June 29, 2011

The Sylvia Hotel is comparable to being home. It is a fine respit from the hustle and bustle of Downtown Vancouver and yet within walking distance to everything. I just walked around Stanley Park and found the views breathtakingly beautiful and wound up back at the Sylvia, happy to get back into my very quiet and charming room. The staff are very friendly es[ecially Christian nd Kyel at the desk! And have exchanged my US dollars at par, better than any bank or exchange office. Being right on the English Bay is fabulous and a stone's throw from Denman street where restaurants and shops abound. You can also conveniently catch a bus to sights beyond. I would always return to the Sylvia because it has stolen my heart. ENJOY.......

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
bobbyGRichmond, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2011

I am always so happy to read the comments like yours. You have described exactly the fell and service that we try to offer to all of our guests, the location is great, but what I am most proud of is my staff and the service they offer. I know we "stole your heart" and you can have it back every time you return. Thank-you for your comments

Reviewed June 27, 2011

My husband and I spent one night in the Sylvia, based on a recommendation we read in Sunset magazine. While the location was great, our hotel room was not.

Our room was in the old wing of the hotel and within 5 minutes of entering the very small room, a mouse ran over my husband's foot while he was using the toilet. We called the front desk and they sent up a guy with three Orkin sticky strips and let us know that if we heard any squeaking we could call the front desk and they would send someone up to dispose of the offending mouse. And that was it. No offer to switch rooms, no complementary drinks in the bar, no discount, just some sticky strips on the floor that we had to avoid for the rest of our stay. Closer inspection of the room found many mouse holes in the drywall that had been painted over, so it was rather obvious that they have had this mouse problem for a while.

I was disgusted with the complete lack of concern over this health issue. We will not be returning to the Sylvia and would not recommend it to other travelers.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LaJaques
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2011

Thank-you for your comments about your stay. I am sorry that you had a mouse in your room. We are located close to the beach and Stanley Park and on occasion we do have pests that find a way into the hotel. I can assure you that we have a very good program in place to deal with these issues and have a contract with one of the best pest control companies in Vancouver. This is a very rare occurrence and I am sorry that you had to experience it while you were here. We could not move you to another room as we were sold out during your stay. Our rooms are spotless and are very safe. Again if you have any other concerns or comments you would like me to address please contact me directly.