“Like visiting your favourite aunt...” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sylvia Hotel
Ranked #32 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Montreal
“Like visiting your favourite aunt...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

Ok, so it's not like all of those other hotels that offer first-rate amenities, newspapers at the door and robes in the bathroom. Had enough of those? Because they all look the same. But at the Sylvia, you get the best location in Vancouver in a landmark hotel which is truly part of the history of the city and a feeling of charm that creeps out at you from all corners, recalling by-gone days of glory, hard times and yes, even resurrection. There's hope for all of us with a few wrinThe Sylvia is a magical place.

We reserved a day ahead for two nights, and upon arriving got upgraded to a one bedroom with kitchen and LR/DR on the corner overlooking English Bay. Oh man, did that ever feel good walking in that room. Nine - count 'em - nine full windows that all opened, letting in the ocean breezes and sounds of the west end. Walking out of the hotel, you have English Bay at your doorstep, left to the beach, right to the seawall, which we took all the way around Stanley Park to Coal Harbour and then to town. You couldn't ask for a better location if your goal is to just breathe in the atmosphere of this beautiful city.

That night we had a great dinner in the restaurant overlooking the sunset on the beach with great staff and lots of attention. A family run hotel this size is almost impossible to find nowadays, let alone in such a great spot.

This one has been in the same hands since the 50's. Sure it's a little tired and her wrinkles are showing, but like visiting your favourite aunt, the one that always loved you best, it's a pleasure to visit her over and over, not just because she's got the best pad on the beach.

Strongly recommended as a break from the 4 star uniformity out there. You won't regret it.

3 Thank KerryMontreal
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Thank-you for your kind words about the Sylvia Hotel. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay, I often hear that people compare the feeling of staying here to "going home" when they tell me about thier stay. I love it when people see us as family. I will pass along your comments about the Restaurant to the staff and the Chef. We are looking forward to your next visit. Ross Dyck General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

Liked- location right by English Beach and plenty to do, wireless worked, which was great for my US 'smart' phone that did not work in Canada for calls, restaurant on site for a spinach salad, and friendly enough staff.
Disliked- one community computer in the lobby that was incredibly slow and often busy Sylvia is on the edge of old and charming vs. time to replace those carpets. Asking about the three tourist buses (Pink, Big bus and Trolley) and how to choose led to the sharing of one brochure. 'that's all we have'. End of story. I know it is sort of a trite thing to do, but when jet lagged on day #1 it can be ok. No window screens, yet hey, the windows open!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
I appreciate your comments about the "community computer" in the lobby, at this time we do only have one computer that we offer free of charge for our Guests to use. I am sorry that it was being used when you needed it. With more and more people needing computer time I may have to look at getting a second computer in the off season. Thank-you for your comments and hope to see you agian on your next visit.
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2011

The Sylvia Hotel is comparable to being home. It is a fine respit from the hustle and bustle of Downtown Vancouver and yet within walking distance to everything. I just walked around Stanley Park and found the views breathtakingly beautiful and wound up back at the Sylvia, happy to get back into my very quiet and charming room. The staff are very friendly es[ecially Christian nd Kyel at the desk! And have exchanged my US dollars at par, better than any bank or exchange office. Being right on the English Bay is fabulous and a stone's throw from Denman street where restaurants and shops abound. You can also conveniently catch a bus to sights beyond. I would always return to the Sylvia because it has stolen my heart. ENJOY.......

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
bobbyGRichmond, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
I am always so happy to read the comments like yours. You have described exactly the fell and service that we try to offer to all of our guests, the location is great, but what I am most proud of is my staff and the service they offer. I know we "stole your heart" and you can have it back every time you return. Thank-you for your comments
San Jose, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

My husband and I spent one night in the Sylvia, based on a recommendation we read in Sunset magazine. While the location was great, our hotel room was not.

Our room was in the old wing of the hotel and within 5 minutes of entering the very small room, a mouse ran over my husband's foot while he was using the toilet. We called the front desk and they sent up a guy with three Orkin sticky strips and let us know that if we heard any squeaking we could call the front desk and they would send someone up to dispose of the offending mouse. And that was it. No offer to switch rooms, no complementary drinks in the bar, no discount, just some sticky strips on the floor that we had to avoid for the rest of our stay. Closer inspection of the room found many mouse holes in the drywall that had been painted over, so it was rather obvious that they have had this mouse problem for a while.

I was disgusted with the complete lack of concern over this health issue. We will not be returning to the Sylvia and would not recommend it to other travelers.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LaJaques
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
Thank-you for your comments about your stay. I am sorry that you had a mouse in your room. We are located close to the beach and Stanley Park and on occasion we do have pests that find a way into the hotel. I can assure you that we have a very good program in place to deal with these issues and have a contract with one of the best pest control companies in Vancouver. This is a very rare occurrence and I am sorry that you had to experience it while you were here. We could not move you to another room as we were sold out during your stay. Our rooms are spotless and are very safe. Again if you have any other concerns or comments you would like me to address please contact me directly.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

Stayed in this hotel during the Stanley cup playoffs and thoroughly enjoyed every aspect ... Including the fantastic breakfast room service! It is located on the sea wall of Stanley park. The service was fantastic and we were even given personal attention from the hotel manager. Thanks Ross! Can't wait to come back.

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank Nicola1979a
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Thank-you for your kind words. We enjoyed having you stay with us. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay. Wish the Canucks won the cup to make your trip a full success. Oh well, next year. Looking forward to your return trip. Ross Dyck
WV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2011

We greatly enjoyed our stay at the Sylvia Hotel! The best thing about the Sylvia is the location. It is located on the English Bay right next to Stanley Park. We loved being so close to the sea wall. The hotel is also located next to Denman street which is home to a variety of restaurants, bike rental shops, and a grocery store. The West End is a wonderful and safe part of Vancouver with much to offer. Everyone at the Sylvia was very helpful. They were always willing to help if we had questions about how to get somewhere by bus.
The room was small;however, we were expecting it and felt that it was big enough for the both of us. We felt it was a good value for the cost. This hotel cost much less than I thought it would due to it's excellent location. The only thing I would have liked that the room did not have, was ventilation in the bathroom.
We would definately stay at the Sylvia again! I don't think we would even cosider staying anywhere else is we were to make a return visit to Vancouver.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Thank-you for your comments about your stay, You are correct, great restaurants blocks away, Stanley Park at our door step and the beach across the street. The lack of a bathroom vent is due to the age of the property however it is something that we are looking into to see if we can add vents in the off season. Please come back and see us agian.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2011

I stayed at the Sylvia Hotel June 12 and 13. It is hands down the best hotel in Vancouver for location and ambiance. Our room was at the front of the hotel overlooking English Bay. To watch a heron fly past the window and fall asleep to the sound of waves rolling on the beach was beyond perfection. The food at the restaurant was excellent and the hotel staff are simply the best.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk, they are incredibly helpful.