“Home away from home”

Ranked #13 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
West Kelowna, Canada
“Home away from home”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This was our second stay here and again we were very impressed by this hotel and the staff who work there. The location is excellent, being steps away from the stores and restaurants of downtown Vancouver, and also close to the beaches and Stanley Park. The bus stop is right around the corner, and it only cost us $10.25 to take a taxi back to the hotel after we attended a concert at Rogers Arena. This place has everything you could want to be comfortable included in the price of the room. Free parking, free breakfast, free internet, free local calls, free morning paper at the door, and complimentary coffee in the room. Our suite was beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean. It had one bedroom with a wonderful pillowtop king size bed and a big flat screen tv, a living room with 2 very comfortable pull out sofas and another big flat screen tv, and a fully equipped little kitchen with an adjoining dining area. We also had a wonderful balcony where we sat and enjoyed the sunshine and the view at the front of the hotel. It just doesn't get better than this, and I would highly recommend this place to everyone.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra to get a room at the front of the hotel with a balcony
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank janiray570

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Reviews are all correct for the most part. View is nasty, Rooms are spacious. People working there are very accommodating and friendly. Breakfast is less than desirable - bring your own and cook it in your room. Parking is tight. But all in all I would highly recommend it to anyone ( already have in fact) and will happily book again on my next trip to Vancouver.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Located on a quiet street, at the cheerful gaybourhood of Vancouver, and 10 minutes walking from downtown, having a suite - a sweet little apartment with a bedroom, a wide living room, a balcony, and a fully equipped kitchen, was a warming experience of staying in this city.

the suite was perfectly clean, pleasant, with good quality wifi, view of some water on one side and the snowy mountaintops behind buildings on the other. the staff was casual, free of the weigh of too much formality, and always smiling and happy (not especially towards clients, but among themselves too, even the maids never looked depressed and had good temper), which implies that probably the management treats them all well - and that radiates on to the general atmosphere of the place.

Oh, if any cons are necessary - the breakfast is very very basic, with supermarket breads that are somewhat sere, but on the other hand offers two kinds of cerial, and some fresh fruit.

Very happy with Sunset Inn! :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Camano Island, Wa.
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The Sunset Suites is our favorite place to stay when we're in Vancouver. As a converted apartment building, the rooms are much larger then your standard hotel room. Even the smaller studio suite, which we usually book, is a nice size. It has a king size bed, a balcony and a full kitchen, complete with everything you need to cook ensuite. The upper floors have a nice view.
When we first started going to the Sunset Suites we always requested an upper floor. Since they remodeled a few years ago, they began charging more for floors 6 to 11. It's worth the extra cost for the view. But since I'm now retired on a limited income, we chose a lower floor studio. We wound up on the fourth floor. We still had a decent view, but not as nice as we used to have on a higher floor.

Another change since last time we were there is they now have a Continental breakfast in the lobby. It's pretty basic ... toast, bagels, croissants, fruit, juice, two types of cereal. You need to bring bowls from you room for the cereal. There is no seating, but the suites are so nice, I prefer to eat breakfast there anyway.

The location is great as well. Right around the corner is Davie Street, which has a number of restaurants along it. Robson Street, Denman Street, False Creek, English Bay, Granville Steet, are all a short walk away. A Translink bus stop is right there at Davie and Thurlow if you want to venture further away. You can pick up a day pass at Shoppers Drug.

The only negative that I have about the Sunset Suites is the creepy alley that is on the north side of the building. Especially if you're driving your own car. You park out front to check in. Then they direct you to drive two blocks west, and turn down the alley and back to the hotel parking lot. The first time we were there, it was a weird introduction to the Sunset Suites. But we're used to it now, and we've never felt the neighborhood was unsafe because of that alleyway. Speaking of parking, that's another great thing about this hotel. Secure parking is free, which is very rare in downtown Vancouver. There are two levels of parking, each with it's own gate. I prefer the lower level. It's completely under the building. The upper level has both covered and uncovered spaces.

Overall, I find the Sunset Suites to be a hidden little gem in Vancouver's West End. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I would highly recommend this hotel for a weekend getaway. We had an executive suite that became our home away from home. The location, the room, and the front desk staff were excellent. The neighborhood was great, easily walkable, huge choice of local restaurants and coffee shops and very safe. The front desk staff was very friendly and had some great recommendations to add to our stay. The free umbrellas were very much appreciated, as well as the jelly beans in the lobby were a perfect, make you feel at home touch.

We would return to stay here in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Brisbane
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I absolutely loved my stay at this Inn and stayed 5 nights in January. I received an upgrade when I first checked in from a studio to a 1 bedroom suite. I was meant to check out for a day and then come back, which fell through so staff were super helpful to book me in that missing day and charge me the same fee as the other 4 nights.

The Inn is very close to the ferry to Granville Island, an easy stroll to Robson Street for shopping and yet still not that far to Gastown, Stanley Park and Rogers Arena. There are so many restaurants and cafes I enjoyed trying something different every day. The room itself is high quality, super comfortable and spacious. Having a fully stocked kitchen ‘almost’ made me want to cook myself. I really enjoyed the DVD library you can borrow from for days when you don’t feel like doing anything. Breakfast was simple and exactly what I wanted after 8 weeks travelling – cereals, toast and juice.

I can not speak more highly of the staff - they assisted with all of my requests and questions and always with a smile. I was at the back of the Inn facing the car park which did get quite noisy over the weekend until early hours - the front facing rooms may have been quieter.

I recommend this hotel because of its excellent price, location, staff and fantastic suites.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Victoria, BC
Reviewed February 14, 2013

First off, let me say that I do recommend this hotel but read on for some qualifiers...
**********************************************************************************************************
This stay was a little unusual for me and it's difficult to write about the hotel in as positive a manner as it perhaps deserves because it is quite different from the places I usually stay.
So, that "4" I gave it as a rating doesn't compare to a "4" I might give a more luxury property.

I usually pick 4 and 5-star properties when I go anywhere--it is a treat to myself and a pleasure to experience luxury while I'm away from the comfort and safety of home.
My favorites in Vancouver include (and I've stayed in most of the best) in order: L'Hermitage, The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver and Le Soleil.

The Sunset Inn And Suites (henceforth referred to as SIAS) is nowhere near that level of property, but for what it is, it is really quite good.

Here's the good:

FREE PARKING! If you have spent any time in Vancouver you know that parking is a nightmare in the city and it's very expensive--$20 + per night in most places you would stay.
When I was researching where I would stay during this four-night trip, THAT was the final straw that edged out the other hotels I was considering.
The location is close to town (hotel to the heart of downtown in 4 minutes) but in a **sort of** sketchy neighborhood. It's not East Hastings but it aint downtown either...

The parking was underground and secured by a large gate that the guests control w/ their room keys. Very safe.

The room was --in relation to most I stay at--huge. Living room with a full kitchen (microwave, full-sized fridge, stove cupboards) that was as big as the kitchen in a one bedroom apartment I once rented in my 20s!
There was also a large bedroom with a decently comfortable, not great, queen sized bed.

Globe and Mail Newspaper at my door--first thing--every morning without fail.
Props.

The elevators were fast.

The Not-So-Good (but not bad)

The Hotel is slightly worn but well kept. I actually felt as though the housekeeping staff were cleaning the place within an inch of its life. As though thinking, "if it squeaks perhaps he won't notice the stained carper/drapes etc..."

NO TV in the bedroom--this is a big one for me.
when I travel, if I have trouble sleeping, once i wake up in the middle of the night I use the TV as a sort of white noise pacifier and it helps lull me back to sleep. In this case I had to head out to the living room and lay on the old looking, too-firm couch and hope for relief.
The TV itself, it should be noted was a CRT (old school) TV. Not a flat screen LED, plasma or what not.
Just a note.

My room face the alley behind the hotel and it was kind of noisy-- a combination of homeless people getting cans from dumpsters and the various businesses around the hotel that were receiving shipments. form large, beeping trucks.
This noise was not constant at all but it happened, on and off, every night.

Tub and shower combination--not separate units.
(small complaint, especially given the quality level of the property)
The drains in the sink and shower were slow to drain and the tub, when filled and plugged, actually slowly drained until I was sitting in 6 inches of water. I was reading and didn't notice until I was freezing!
These are the things that stood out to me.

Overall, this is a good mid-level hotel. The money you save by staying here (and that money could easily be greatly increased by buying food at a grocer and making meals in the room) can now be spent on the amazing attractions Vancouver has to offer.
If you are on a budget, this is a solid choice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business