“Renovations, dusting, amazing service”

The Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront
Ranked #39 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The family stayed here for Pokemon Worlds from August 7-11th. It was very convenient to the waterfront and the convention center which is a lovely area to visit. The hotel is going through some renovations which is a GOOD thing since it NEEDS these renovations. I had the choice of a high level floor with a city or 5th floor with a harbor view. I went against MY OWN ADVICE and took the low floor for the better view. Well, I should have taken really high up since we heard the construction starting at 8AM. We were up before 8AM each morning so it didn't affect our sleep but if anyone wanted to sleep in, it would have been very annoying.
Also, I was in room 525. When we go there, it was well organized and neat. However, it really needed a good dusting and honestly, a good vacuuming. The next morning, I went to the front desk and reported what I found. They were very apologetic and quickly rectified this situation. When we returned that night, our room was VERY clean and it was 100% improved. Maybe housekeeping or my specific housekeeper was a little lax on the job but the next few days, everything was fine.
Oh, btw, use the internet in the lobby. It is free for 4 hours at a time. Don't bother with room internet fees.
Now, why did I give this hotel 4 stars and not 3? Because of the service. It truly offered 4 star service. From front desk to bell hop to waiters to concierge, everyone was VERY good at their job and always greeted us with a smile. I value good service. This is what I feel sets hotels apart from each other.
There is one other thing to note and this has nothing to do with the hotel but with Vancouver in general…..the food is VERY expensive and not always that tasty. We did the hotel restaurant for lunch one day and that was perfectly fine but again, way overpriced. But then I ate in the city over the next 5 days and food prices were crazy high! I was raised in NY and I have no idea why they are so high and not have the tasty cuisine to really back it up. Even McDonalds and Subway prices are higher than what we pay here in the states. And it has nothing to do with the exchange rate as we are SO close to each other right now. Very odd.

Room Tip: Use hotel lobby internet since it is free and always a high floor!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PokeMomNJ

Reviewed August 10, 2013

This hotel, although still a nice spot, is beginning to show its age relative to the some of the nicer properties surrounding it. Pros include a clean room with a nice harbour view (albeit between two condo buildings), as well as flat panel TV with various inputs and power outlets on the desk (probably the nicest technical capabilities I've seen to be honest). The King size bed was very comfortable, although my 15 yr-old daughter did not appreciate the noisy (yup) roll-away bed provided for her. We had to wait one day for an in-room refrigerator, due to short supply. The cons included some minor repairs required upon arrival (sliding bathroom door did not move freely, loose toilet seat) but these were quickly fixed. During the week, repairs were being done to the garage so there was lots of construction noise that thankfully started only at 9:30 AM.

Room Tip: Request a Harbour View Room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Hgross88
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Both literally and figuratively. Over the many years, I have only once been disappointed by a stay at a Renaissance (Richardson, Texas). This stay now makes two. We had a wonderful eight nights stay in Vancouver on our first ever visit to the beautiful Pacific Northwest. The harbor view from our upgraded 'suite' was grand and the staff was warm, friendly, and helpful. However, they were woefully understaffed and overwhelmed. From the front desk, to the concierge's desk, to the concierge's lounge, they simply did not have adequate numbers to meet the needs of their guests. Make no mistake - this is not a problem of the staff but of the hotel's management.

Their wireless internet was all but worthless. The signal quality was poor in the room, in the lobby, and in the lounge. Even when connected, it often simply dropped requiring frequent (between 5 and 20 minutes) reconnects and repeated authentications. If I sat by the window in the lounge, the Marriott across the street actually had a better signal. Yes, I spoke to the front desk about this and the internet tech support to no appreciable avail. (I'm an IT consultant / engineer, so really do I know this stuff.)

The walls between rooms are thin and the adjoining doors are useless. On the start of our stay, we got to listen to "Loud Howard" of Dilbert fame and his late night / early morning critical business calls. The last day of our stay, our new neighbor actually knocked and asked us to turn down the music on my wife's iPad. Really? It has a 1.5 by 0.5 inch speaker and was on about 3/4 volume. It can't get that loud.

The upgraded room on the 18th floor itself had a spectacular view of the Vancouver Harbour from the balcony (a couple of chairs would have been nice though). The bed was a dream to sink into each night and the room was well furnished and decorated. However, calling it a 'suite' was a bit of a stretch. It was really a corner room with open doors to an adjacent smaller room. After a look through upon entering on our first day, we quickly opted for hers and his bathrooms (small and smaller) and closets (ditto). The second room made for a nice 'reading room' for me while my wife watched the evening news and talk shows in the main room. Unfortunately, the VAC system is quite loud as it is an older hotel.

Surprisingly, there is NO printer in the business center next to the front desk. One must go to the gift shop (NOT part of Marriott) to print boarding passes. Anything else will be charged per page. That makes it rather difficult to do any actual work (expense reports and the like) or print online tickets for attractions. Fortunately, the front desk was far more gracious and caring than the shop in taking care of this for us.

The Concierge's Lounge has recently been moved from the 19th floor to the lobby due to lack of space. I don't believe that this has helped much as there is now no access control to the lounge. It's a free for all. On a few mornings there were no seats available. On 'Cruise Ship Sunday', it was filled beyond capacity and we took our food into the lobby instead. Worse still, they were constantly out of food even on slow days. While most Marriott lounges keep the deserts and cheese/crackers until closing at 10 PM, this lounge cleared everything out but the drinks by 7:30.

Finally, it is an older property and it shows - especially the 'elevators of death'. The doors on two of the cars (1 & 3 if you wish to be on your guard) tend to shut without warning and when on the threshold. My wife took one hit and I took three, one of those with a fresh cup of hot coffee sans lid. I was glad I packed an extra outfit for the week.

Despite these failings, we had a fantastic week in one of the most beautiful parts of the world. We will return for more (a week simply wasn't enough); however, we will likely stay across the street at the Pinnacle next time.

Room Tip: Stay across the street at the Marriott Pinnacle instead.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TexasVoyager_BW
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Our first visit to Beautiful Vancouver! Gorgeous city, nice hotel with a great harbor view. The staff was curteous and professional as I know I can rely on at a Marriott property. However, I've never had a more unreliable Internet connection anywhere. It would randomly cut out while we were in the middle of something. Makes it hard to make plans or reserve things online when you have to log back in every 5-10 min. My mobile phone never connected at all. Elevators had problems. Door might not close, door closed very quickly once as my husband stepped over the threshold and he took a coffee bath. The concierge (navigator) was very helpful and professional, but overwhelmed. They need more staffers in that position, there was always a long line. No printer in the business center (seriously?). The day the cruise ship passengers came in and had breakfast in the Concierge lounge (maybe they had vouchers or something?), there were not enough seats, not enough staff and not enough food. The staff was scrambling around doing what they could, but they could only do so much. This was a management problem. Again, the staff was consistently curteous and professional and always had a great attitude, but there were things out of their control. Would I stay there again, probably, because the view from the harbor side is fabulous. But they need to do some fixes.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Terri W
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is a very good hotel in a great location. Ask for a room overlooking the harbor, and you can watch planes take off from your room. I was here for two nights on business, and the location allows you to walk to many restaurants.

If you like to run, all you have to do is walk out of the hotel, turn right and run. You can run along the water on the path and go all the way around to the other side of the harbor. It is beautiful in the morning, and there are a lot of other runners/walkers out. There are a few places to sit overlooking the harbor which is nice on a clear day.

The rooms are well kept and a decent size. I only had drinks in the restaurant, so I can't provide much guidance with dining. The club lounge is on the first floor in what looks like an old restaurant. Breakfast there was well stocked and good quality.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the harbor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Yes, the carpeting is a little dated and its not all hopped up on technology - but with this view - who is looking at the room? And since the room is old - its huge! Enough room for a dance floor and a chaise lounge ;) The little patio is unsittable because of the cement - but the view is from your room all the time. Maybe I am biased because of the company with me - made it fantastic - see flowers/chocolate strawberries/champagne delivered - not Whistler Westin standards but still nice. No complaints and we brought our own music - nobody complained. Originally bought through priceline with an upgrade to a nice view purchased - well worth the money! Couldn't fit chevy truck in parkade - so we were forced to park across the street - but staff was helpful. Upgrade was a surprise and front desk kept secret til the very end. Beautiful view of harbour/mountains/stanley park.

Room Tip: upgrade for a view of the harbour - its worth it
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2013

after staying across the street at the Vancouver Marriot, this hotel was a disappointment...

-what's up with the entrance not being on the same level as the lobby? Made lugging a stroller and our luggage into the hotel a pain...since the hotel doesn't seem to have any bell boys...after asking the front desk and calling down, our bags were finally delivered to our room after an hour

-Room was much smaller...very cramped...and there are two sets of windows with about half a foot between them...then another peice of glass...very strange...compromised the view of the harbor...

-9am...housekeeping came a knocking...

-this hotel has seen better days...it shows everywhere despite many attempts throughout the facility to hide it.

-if you have a choice, stay across the street! That hotel was exceptional.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family