“Dump Don't Stay”
Review of Super 8 Vancouver

Super 8 Vancouver
Ranked #89 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed January 20, 2008

After a long flight into Vancouver I met my husband at this hotel as he was already in Vancouver and we needed something close for the night. When I arrived I noticed that the carpet out side was wet and I don't mean damp. I had to take a large step to get into the bathroom without getting my feet wet. I was so tired I just went to bed. In the morning I had a shower only to find the tub plugged and I had 3 inches of water at my feet. Then the sink was plugged.The room was very old and run down. I never complain and we are very easy to please but this was bad. I couldn't wait to leave. I told them at the front desk in the morning and they said ok. Next we thought we would have the continental breakfast and the dining area was in another room and was so cold we had to sit with our coats on. I asked the girls why so cold and she said the thermostate was broke and they won't fix. So what does that tell you. The area of town doesn't look that well. So just be forwarned.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kroswell

Reviewed November 17, 2007

Just wanted to say that my husband and I (and a number of friends) have stayed at this hotel twice this in 2007 and I am about to book for December. We have not had any real problems and the price was excellent (standard room about $ 70 as we are seniors).

The rooms are pleasant and clean (most have been recently renovated). The front desk guy was a bit testy but he was really busy. The service staff were perfect.

The airport bus service was a half hour late and the driver from the Quality Hotel (a rival) said, "they always are".

All in all, excellent value.

Sorry to here about the problems experienced by other posters but it sure didn't happen to us.

• Stayed: November 2007
2  Thank ugogirl7
Reviewed October 31, 2007

This property is terrible period.It does not have the same clean and welcoming feeling as other choice hotel properties. When we arrived if it had not been late we would have left and stayed somewhere else. In the end we should have left, as my wife was bitten no less than 15 times buy bed bugs. It subsuquently ruined her visit to Toronto. I talked to the manager Mr Gill and he asked that I send pics of the bites which I did with a letter requesting my wife be compensated for the medicine she bought in Toronto and also for the discomfort she went through . We got no reply from Mr gill. I called and left a message on two different occasions with my Phone number. He did not call back {we have call display and and answering machine].The 4th floor was eventually shut down. the whole place should be shut down. There wake up call machine didn t work either. This dump and it is a dump is not worthy of the choice hotels name. The lack of integrity in dealing with this issue is disgusting to say the least. One star is one to many for this place. DO NOT BOOK AT THIS PLACE.

Stayed: September 2007
3  Thank hurricane11
Reviewed October 10, 2006

We booked a double-bed room for the night of Aug 4th from the hotel's official website with the price $103.24. However, when we checked out on Aug 5th, the clerk at front desk charged us $114.84. We told him we were overcharged and showed him our reservation confirmation. He still insisted in charging the false amount of money and let us talk to the manager (She is not on duty that day). We emailed our situation to the manager later but the manager never gave us any reply.

I highly do NOT recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank orcafans
Reviewed August 28, 2006

Booking with Choice Hotels is obviously no guarantee of quality. Paid close to $100.00 Canadian for a one night stay which would have been worth $45.00 or less on the prairies.

When we arrived we had to wait in the lobby for nearly ten minutes because the front desk simply wasn't staffed. The clerk arrived back from a takeout place just before I was ready to conclude that the hotel didn't want my business. The hotel is older (not necessarily a disadvantage) but the upgrading is more in the nature of "tarting up" than a remodel. We arrived at our room to find an air conditioner that didn't work (leaving the room a sauna), the ice maker was out of commission and the pop machine ate my money.

Secured locked parking was the only plus at this hotel. I would recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank MKAnderson
Reviewed August 11, 2006

We were in Vancouver to attend a wedding back in June.
We booked our room through an online website for our hotel rooms. So our payment was made to this online website in advance to guarantee our room.

When we check in at the front desk on 6/22, we were told our room has been prepaid already but we still need to provide a credit card for deposit holding purpose only. So we did just that. We stayed for 3 days 2 nights. I've asked for a copy of the receipt when we checked out the hotel around 6:00am. But the lady at the front desk said since it was prepaid, there is no receipt for me.

Then when I received my credit card statement the following month, I saw my card was charged for USD555 from this Quality Inn Vancouver Airport. I called the hotel and spoke to a lady name Laure, she checked her computer and confirmed that I should not have been charged and said sometimes it takes a week or so for the charge to be reverse. She suggested I called back again if this has not been resolved. Then I called back 2 weeks later when the amount still has not been reversed. I spoke to another person named Zully and explained the situation to him. He said they've closed June's activities and need to check with his accountant on this case and will let me know. I've been calling at least 3 to 4 times a week trying to see if they have done anything about this case. Then on 8/01, Zully asked me to fax him copy of my statement with the charge shown and he will ask his auditor to investigate. I faxed it over on 8/02. Ever since then, whenever I called, either he's not on duty or he's off on vacation. I've left message for him to call back and he never did. I've asked if other people can help me, and they said since Zully is working on this, I can only speak to him.

I emailed my situation and copy of the statement charge to the online website that I make the reservation with. They were very quick in replying my email and had also tried to resolve this with the hotel. However, they were gettting the run around as well. No one at the hotel is willing to take the extra step to check and take care of this case. All they've said was that they would only hold $100 as deposit so it's impossible for them to charge the $555 I've claimed they did. Even this online website representative coundn't believe hotel people are just denying the fact that they double and over charged.

I've already notified my credit card company of this unauthorized charge and they will begin to investigate this case as well. Today is already 8/12 and after 2 months this still has not been resolved.

I HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMAND STAYING IN THIS HOTEL!!!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank aeon_flex
Reviewed August 4, 2006

I first stayed at the hotel in 2002, based on its price, information gathered from the Internet, and its close proximity to the airport and airport shuttle (a plus for a first-time visitor to a new city). With mostly late-afternoon arrivals at the airport, my calls to the hotel result in a pick-up within 30 minutes. At the hotel, I have always found the staff to be attentive (and even after five years, some of the same staff still there).

The hotel is not new, and it's not elegant by any means. However, the rooms are clean, and the amenities/level of service are adequate for the price of the room. I do like the fact that guest floor (3-6) access is restricted by room key, especially when there are a lot of non-guests on property (like when there used to be a casino on site--gone since 2005). Although the A/C units are window-mounted, it's not often that the Vancouver climate requires their use. I opened up the windows to enjoy the cool and dry air--a departure from my sticky Florida home.

Having taken two trips with someone needing wheelchair accessibility, I found the facilities to be mostly easy to navigate. Reserved parking is scarce though (only three spaces up front, usually taken by those without parking permits), and the bathrooms may be a little small. Ask for an accessible room, but call **well in advance**--they only have 2 or 3 accessible rooms.

There is secured parking, but one is advised to be careful with belongings in the car. Vancouver is a relatively safe city compared to other cities of the same size. But property crime is an epidemic, including auto theft/break-ins. It's not just this hotel--it's one of the few flaws that I've discovered citywide in my many trips there.

If you don't need to rent a car, don't. This hotel sits immediately along two bus routes (100 is east/west with connections to YVR, 8 for more frequent north/south, and up to the downtown core). The system is efficient, reasonably clean and safe, and far-reaching. Save money on the rental car and spend $8 CDN on a day pass. hint...the Esso station across the street sells the passes, but it seems to be a well-kept secret.

I choose to stay there year-after-year for the value and the staff. Although I could spend more on a hotel and get a more upscale decor, I stay here, spend less, and have extra spending money for the rest of my vacation. My main purpose of a hotel is to have a place to sleep and keep my stuff, and so a wealth of amenities is not important to me.

As for food, it is limited on site, unless you like to laugh at (bad) multi-lingual karaoke. There's a White Spot about a 10-minute walk east (under a minute by car). Open late, and good quality food.

Bottom line: It's not pretty, but it's adequate for the price.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank jasonacg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vancouver
Bridgeport
South Main
Best Western Plus Uptown Hotel
Coast Vancouver Airport
#67 of 92 in Vancouver

Been to Super 8 Vancouver? Share your experiences!