“A great hotel for meeting and pleasure”

Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #27 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Montreal, Canada
“A great hotel for meeting and pleasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

Very professional staff at every level. Interesting meeting space for small group. Great location.
Beautiful junior suite. Diva is a great restaurant but limited menu. Group menu is extremely expensive, too expensive.
Thank you to all the team of this wonderful hotel!!!!

Room Tip: Junior suite is very interesting
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Paul H, Director of Sales at Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you for your comments. The Junior Suite is also a personal favourite of mine, done in a tasteful modern style. We hope you are back again soon to enjoy it again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Korean first
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

I stayed here for two nights at the end of a longer vacation in Vancouver. I got this for a bargain. It's a very smart place, right opposite the main mall (Pacific Centre). There aren't too many restaurants in the immediate couple of blocks, which is one of the few drawbacks here (more so given the price of the in room nibbles). We did suffer problems with elevator while there, but these were fixed in a day. Overall a stylish place, very good for business travellers in particular.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Chilliwack, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

We stayed a night at the Met before the 2014 Vancouver Sun Run. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was smallish, but clean and comfortable. Bed was a tad firm for my liking, but not like sleeping in a board!
We couldn't ask for more!!! We'll definitely be back!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul H, Director of Sales at Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Great to hear that you stayed with us and we hope you had a great time during the run! Can't beat our location for the Sun Run! We look forward to seeing you back again next year.
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for one night for business. The staff were very helpful. The bellman David was extra nice. He explained were everything was and opened by balcony door for me (I had travel brain). The location is great....2 blocks from Robson, the Sky Train to the airport is just a 1-2 min walk, the water is a 5ish min walk and Pacific Centre is across the street. The price was right. I would definitely recommend and stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank JK_Queen
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you found our location to be quite handy and hope to see you back again soon!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to stay here over the long weekend to celebrate his birthday. We have both stayed at this hotel 4 times before. Luckily, we happened to find a Living Social voucher, and jumped right at the chance.

It's a very charming and beautiful hotel. Although it is showing its age, it has been very well kept. We decided to upgrade to a luxury king, as its the room we're used to (Living Social comes with deluxe room, but an upgrade is available at $10/night).

Rooms
- The size of the rooms are on par with other downtown Vancouver hotels
- Bathroom is fairly large
- Clean
- Thick towels
- No slippers (something I really enjoy having at 'luxury' hotels)
- Only 1 robe (although I know we could always call down and ask for another one, it's just not worth the hassle. It's very rare for us to go to a hotel and for there to be only one robe)

Health and Fitness centre
- There's a squash court! How cool!
- Pools are well maintained. Clean and not too "chloriney" as with other pools. We've consistently seen someone checking up on it as well as someone checking on the chemicals in the water.
- Gym is one of the best hotel gyms we've gone to. Although it is not new, both my boyfriend and I are gym rats, and we both agreed it has all the equipment you would really need for a decent strength training and cardio workout. There are ellipticals, treadmills, and stair climbers. The dumbbells go up to 60lbs. There is also a flat barbell bench with plenty of plates. There is also a machine that has all your basic exercises.

- This is where the hotel falls short.

One of our room cards did not work upon check-in. Not a big deal, it happens. I go downstairs and speak with front desk, Ira, and she was pleasant and professional. After we left the hotel, we came back at about 12:30 am, and the same card somehow stopped working again. Okay, fine, we understand. We called front desk from the 15th floor phone, After calling twice, no one picked up, so we decided to trek back down to the lobby. Not a fun way to end off the night, but we're understanding.

This is where it unfolds. The front desk clerk, Eric Villard (? Vallard?), was rude, uninterested, unapologetic, and was just plain disrespectful. I have never ever met someone working at a so-called "luxury" hotel, that was this disrespectful. I find this to be a great shame, as many of the other workers were professional (valets, concierge, housekeepers, etc.). We were there for a bit, and waited and waited. Another worker had to help us get his attention. Eric came out looking sleepy eyed, but whatever, we're understanding.

I told him about my card not working. I do not work in the hospitality industry, but I would think it would go something like "I apologize for the inconvenience. What is your room number? For security, I would also require a piece of ID". Nope, instead, he asks "What is your room number? I need a piece of ID". Look, first of all, if i'm paying money for a luxury hotel, I don't care if you're actually sorry about a card not working. Out of professionalism, you say you are sorry. Do not just demand ID.

So fine, he was rude, I let that slide. While he was working on the computer, I commented that it was the second time this happened. Perhaps then he'll say something right? He did not even look up once to acknowledge my comment. Just merely smirked and continued typing. Wow. Do they train their staff here?

My boyfriend I asked him what would happen if a guest does not have ID on them. He explained, quite frankly and arrogantly, that usually they would fix the card and have them go and get their ID and come right back down. He ended off his little lecture with "Come on guys, it's security."

That was the final straw for me and my boyfriend. There is a certain amount of rudeness and belittling that we can take. We spewed on that this is not what hospitality is about, and he has no right to speak to us this way. He continued to try and justify his actions (really?), but quickly apologized. HALLELUJAH, I get an (haphazard) apology from this guy.

Perhaps, maybe, if he cared and realized the possible repercussions of his actions, he would've gone out of his way to apologize. Maybe just a phone call up to make sure we were able to get in. Nope, nothing. I would highly suggest either a) he finds another career path or b) undergo professional development courses.

Maybe he thought it would be fine treating just some Living Social customers like low class scum. Maybe we looked young and he didn't care. But my boyfriend and I are working professionals, and WERE repeat guests. The amount of disrespect we received turned us off from staying at this hotel ever again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ehl4
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

My wife and I stayed 4 nights recently for a business trip. Although the hotel is under renovation, the service was up to par. After arriving home, my wife realized she had left one of her coats in the closet. She called the hotel and they said they would try to locate it. They did and couriered it to us the next day. I am a President's Club member and this level of attention and care is one of the reasons I always stay at a Fairmont hotel. Thank you.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Canadiantraveler8888
Gibsons, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

Everything about our stay was excellent!! We arrived quite a bit earlier than normal check-in time and asked if we could store our bags and park the car until check-in and the woman at the front desk told us we could go up early and waived the "early check-in fee". Doors were held open, the staff helped carry our bags, and even called the elevator for us! (NOTE: I should mention that we were little fish in a big pond here, and the only reason we were able to book a deluxe King room is because I cashed in all my Flight Network points! We were easily impressed!) Our room was great, the decor was lush and fancy, and the soaker tub was a dream come true! And speaking of dreams, I would gladly cough up another $200 just to sleep in that bed with the super soft sheets again!
In the morning we got up and ,made ourselves a coffee with the Keurig machine, but sadly it ended up being gross because of those little whitener packs... In my opinion, a big fancy hotel like this could have a few creamers stocked in the fridge as opposed to Coffee Mate... but really, this was no big deal. I didn't expect the coffee to be good anyway and prefer to go out for an espresso!
My only criticism of The Met is the overpricing of the food/snacks once you get to your room. A regular sized Aero bar was $4, a small can of Pringles was $5, and those teeny tiny bottles of liquor were $10 (plus the $3 can of pop, you're looking at a $13 drink and you're still drinking it out of a plastic cup...I understand you're paying for convenience, but still...) I get that the Met attracts people with money, but I just can't wrap my head around how they justify charging $40/night to park my car... That's a little less than what we usually pay for a hotel for ourselves! I guess that's just what you have to do if you want to swim in the big pond!!
To sum it up, I would definitely stay here again (If I could afford to!)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KM_Gibsons
Paul H, Director of Sales at Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Keep tuned to our website for your next visit, as we often have specials available there!