“Beautiful hotel.. but..”

Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #28 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed April 20, 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to stay here over the long weekend to celebrate his birthday. We have both stayed at this hotel 4 times before. Luckily, we happened to find a Living Social voucher, and jumped right at the chance.

It's a very charming and beautiful hotel. Although it is showing its age, it has been very well kept. We decided to upgrade to a luxury king, as its the room we're used to (Living Social comes with deluxe room, but an upgrade is available at $10/night).

Rooms
- The size of the rooms are on par with other downtown Vancouver hotels
- Bathroom is fairly large
- Clean
- Thick towels
- No slippers (something I really enjoy having at 'luxury' hotels)
- Only 1 robe (although I know we could always call down and ask for another one, it's just not worth the hassle. It's very rare for us to go to a hotel and for there to be only one robe)

Health and Fitness centre
- There's a squash court! How cool!
- Pools are well maintained. Clean and not too "chloriney" as with other pools. We've consistently seen someone checking up on it as well as someone checking on the chemicals in the water.
- Gym is one of the best hotel gyms we've gone to. Although it is not new, both my boyfriend and I are gym rats, and we both agreed it has all the equipment you would really need for a decent strength training and cardio workout. There are ellipticals, treadmills, and stair climbers. The dumbbells go up to 60lbs. There is also a flat barbell bench with plenty of plates. There is also a machine that has all your basic exercises.

- This is where the hotel falls short.

One of our room cards did not work upon check-in. Not a big deal, it happens. I go downstairs and speak with front desk, Ira, and she was pleasant and professional. After we left the hotel, we came back at about 12:30 am, and the same card somehow stopped working again. Okay, fine, we understand. We called front desk from the 15th floor phone, After calling twice, no one picked up, so we decided to trek back down to the lobby. Not a fun way to end off the night, but we're understanding.

This is where it unfolds. The front desk clerk, Eric Villard (? Vallard?), was rude, uninterested, unapologetic, and was just plain disrespectful. I have never ever met someone working at a so-called "luxury" hotel, that was this disrespectful. I find this to be a great shame, as many of the other workers were professional (valets, concierge, housekeepers, etc.). We were there for a bit, and waited and waited. Another worker had to help us get his attention. Eric came out looking sleepy eyed, but whatever, we're understanding.

I told him about my card not working. I do not work in the hospitality industry, but I would think it would go something like "I apologize for the inconvenience. What is your room number? For security, I would also require a piece of ID". Nope, instead, he asks "What is your room number? I need a piece of ID". Look, first of all, if i'm paying money for a luxury hotel, I don't care if you're actually sorry about a card not working. Out of professionalism, you say you are sorry. Do not just demand ID.

So fine, he was rude, I let that slide. While he was working on the computer, I commented that it was the second time this happened. Perhaps then he'll say something right? He did not even look up once to acknowledge my comment. Just merely smirked and continued typing. Wow. Do they train their staff here?

My boyfriend I asked him what would happen if a guest does not have ID on them. He explained, quite frankly and arrogantly, that usually they would fix the card and have them go and get their ID and come right back down. He ended off his little lecture with "Come on guys, it's security."

That was the final straw for me and my boyfriend. There is a certain amount of rudeness and belittling that we can take. We spewed on that this is not what hospitality is about, and he has no right to speak to us this way. He continued to try and justify his actions (really?), but quickly apologized. HALLELUJAH, I get an (haphazard) apology from this guy.

Perhaps, maybe, if he cared and realized the possible repercussions of his actions, he would've gone out of his way to apologize. Maybe just a phone call up to make sure we were able to get in. Nope, nothing. I would highly suggest either a) he finds another career path or b) undergo professional development courses.

Maybe he thought it would be fine treating just some Living Social customers like low class scum. Maybe we looked young and he didn't care. But my boyfriend and I are working professionals, and WERE repeat guests. The amount of disrespect we received turned us off from staying at this hotel ever again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ehl4

Reviewed April 15, 2014

My wife and I stayed 4 nights recently for a business trip. Although the hotel is under renovation, the service was up to par. After arriving home, my wife realized she had left one of her coats in the closet. She called the hotel and they said they would try to locate it. They did and couriered it to us the next day. I am a President's Club member and this level of attention and care is one of the reasons I always stay at a Fairmont hotel. Thank you.

1  Thank Canadiantraveler8888
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Everything about our stay was excellent!! We arrived quite a bit earlier than normal check-in time and asked if we could store our bags and park the car until check-in and the woman at the front desk told us we could go up early and waived the "early check-in fee". Doors were held open, the staff helped carry our bags, and even called the elevator for us! (NOTE: I should mention that we were little fish in a big pond here, and the only reason we were able to book a deluxe King room is because I cashed in all my Flight Network points! We were easily impressed!) Our room was great, the decor was lush and fancy, and the soaker tub was a dream come true! And speaking of dreams, I would gladly cough up another $200 just to sleep in that bed with the super soft sheets again!
In the morning we got up and ,made ourselves a coffee with the Keurig machine, but sadly it ended up being gross because of those little whitener packs... In my opinion, a big fancy hotel like this could have a few creamers stocked in the fridge as opposed to Coffee Mate... but really, this was no big deal. I didn't expect the coffee to be good anyway and prefer to go out for an espresso!
My only criticism of The Met is the overpricing of the food/snacks once you get to your room. A regular sized Aero bar was $4, a small can of Pringles was $5, and those teeny tiny bottles of liquor were $10 (plus the $3 can of pop, you're looking at a $13 drink and you're still drinking it out of a plastic cup...I understand you're paying for convenience, but still...) I get that the Met attracts people with money, but I just can't wrap my head around how they justify charging $40/night to park my car... That's a little less than what we usually pay for a hotel for ourselves! I guess that's just what you have to do if you want to swim in the big pond!!
To sum it up, I would definitely stay here again (If I could afford to!)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KM_Gibsons
Paul H, Director of Sales at Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Keep tuned to our website for your next visit, as we often have specials available there!

Reviewed April 10, 2014

I stayed at the Met April 2014. It was affordable,clean and friendly. It is conveniently close to the City Centre Skytrain stop so it was really easy to get to from the airport. The staff were super friendly and accomodating. The concierge was very helpful in explaining to me how to get places. There was an umbrella in the room to use which I really needed and really appreciated!

4  Thank Loretta B
Reviewed April 9, 2014

This is an older hotel with lots of charm. I stayed here for three nights at the beginning of April. It's right around the corner from the sky train 'city centre' stop. It's right in the heart of downtown vancouver. Room service dinner was great. Check in and out was quick and easy. The hotel restaurant is really ice. Drinks are good. Make sure you have a preference for liquor or the bartender with mix with the most expensive. Ie. he was mixing grey goose vodka vs. a cheaper vodka which was 60% more. But in my experiences, most places do this anyhow.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Main Street are very nice.
1  Thank MaverickBenz
Paul H, Director of Sales at Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Thank you for your great review! We hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

This was not our first stay. We return because for the price, it is great value. The staff are friendly, rooms are spacious and the bathrooms are fantastic.

It caters to business people. Frequent travellers can arrange to stow a few business outfits and have them waiting for you pressed upon arrival. More conveniently, you can leave a set of your fav toiletries too so you don't have to deal with airline limitations.

It's the details... press service within the hour, bathroom amenities and vanity stool, good size desks, very comfy beds and a great workout room.

We love the great pool and whirlpool! We were on a couples getaway and the location was great to shop, see a show at the Commodore and try new restaurants.

Parking is pricey but generally is everywhere. They only have valet for $40. We decided to park ourselves at the parkade across the street. Left at 10:30 am and still had to pay $30. Only a small savings.

This hotel is near luxury without the high end price. We have stayed here numerous times over the last five years and we will be back.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you. We are glad that you have come back time and time again, and are a very dedicated guest of ours. Our staff pride themselves on the work that they do for our guests, and comments like these go a long way. Thank you so very much!

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Stayed here for a quick one night stay on a business trip and everything was "Nice". Staff was good at check in and out, room was fine, if a little dated, bath is big and has lots of room. The location is very good and I hear that the restaurant has great food, although I didn't get an opportunity to try it. Overall fine and dandy, nothing too fancy or too bad.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business