“Always love staying at the Met”

Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #27 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
“Always love staying at the Met”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2008

I stayed at the Met for a couple days over a weekend and booked the king luxury room. I booked 60 days in advance, through the website, which gives you a slight discount ($200/night + taxes).
The location of the hotel was perfect for me. Yaletown, Stanley Park, and Granville Island are all within 30 minutes by foot. There is also lots of shopping in the area.
The room itself was nice. The king bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows. The alarm clock had an iPOD dock to play music through. There are big windows with a nice view of the city. The TV in my room was a 27" rounded screen TV, which was a little suprising because I'm pretty sure they advertise LCD TV on their website. No big deal since I didn't come to Vancouver to watch TV. The bathroom was typically of the Met, very spacious and beautiful, with shower and bathtub.
I have never eaten at a Metropolitan hotel, since the menu prices always seem very expensive ($23 for mac and cheese at the met soho in TO). At this hotel, the continental breakfast was like $18. I was only in town for a short time and didn't get to try out the restaurant, anyway, so maybe the food is just THAT good.
The health club on the third floor is top notch. A small lap pool and hot tub are in a well lit atrium. There is also work out equipment with a rowing machine, bikes, weights, etc. The men's change room has a steam room and sauna (with TV). I was very impressed by the health club. There is also a squash court, but it was closed while I was there. Use of the health club is free for hotel guests.
On the same floor as the pool, they have a business centre that has computers, printers, fax machines, photocopiers, and internet access (all complimentary). Around the corner is a small library. Looking around I also found a small fake-grass putting green outside on a terrace with putters and balls sitting around. Nice touch.
The hotel staff that I met all were very polite and courteous, helping me hail cabs without even asking. The elevator was a little slow, and since they only have two elevators and one was broken, you might wait a few minutes before it shows up.
Having compared the price I paid with other hotels in the area (the four seasons is across the street), I think the Metropolitan Hotel in Vancouver is a great deal. I would happily stay there again.

• Liked — The Health Club
  • Disliked — The Elevator
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Korean first
Sutter, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2008

I reserved a luxury King room. I had read a review that mentioned some construction noise; I called the hotel and asked for a room without noise. We were on the 15th floor. The Canadian in the elevator commented to me that this hotel has the slowest elevator in the city. So, correct! But, the construction noise was not a problem. After the valet brought our car, it is hard to get out of their parking entrance due to construction. The construction is right next door. Large tractors are working on an empty lot that is going to be a hotel. We were on the opposite side of the building. I did have the power go out in the bathroom, on our last morning, and we had to rough it to get out of the room before check-out.
For the rate, I would book elsewhere. I received an AAA rate, and it was the highest I paid with the least amount of luxury. The Four Seasons is close by, so is Canada Place pier with a hotel. The bathroom was nice. A very large vanity area with lit make-up mirror and a bench. The tub was extra-long, but nothing special. The separate shower was nice. After staying at other luxury hotels on our trip, this hotel was my least favorite with two exceptions. The sheets were very nice. The Canadian breakfast at Diva was great. I called the hotel because we were traveling as a celebration of a graduation; I was trying to figure out if I needed a rental car, so I asked questions and referenced my daughter's graduation. This is the only hotel that did not acknowledge that celebration. Every other hotel in Canada and Seattle, upon check-in, asked us about our trip; I told them about our celebration, and each hotel did something nice to acknowledge our celebration. The check-in staff and concierge are not friendly or eager to help. I did get a tip from the reservation desk; they told me to add the Breakfast of Champions to my room for $25. It would include parking. The valet only parking is $28; the Canadian breakfast comes with eggs, toast or croissant, bacon or bratwurst, potatoes, orange juice, and a pot of coffee or tea. It was very nice and the service was very good. The breakfast is $25 a person. The tip from the reservations person was worthwhile. The hotel does charge a facility fee that they do not tell you about. Most hotels state upfront if they have a resort fee. The facility fee is $5.60. I hope they get a new elevator. Robson street shopping and a upper-scale mall are very easy to walk to.

• Liked — The sheets and pillows
  • Disliked — The elevator
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank lavendergirl1962
Devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2008

Nearly all recent reviews are saying the same regarding the building work next door. When I selected the property it seemed ideal and in terms of size, position, rooms and price, it was. But did not know about the work next door and it caused all sorts of problems from noise to sidewalk shut down etc. If told about this I think most people can make a decision about staying but they didn't which is a shame.
I would still recommend it but be warned, I can't see it getting better for a while yet.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2008

Great city, wrong hotel. Overall hotel was above average, nice gym, amazing complimentary cookies, door staff was ok, concierge changed almost hourly and very weak. I like small private places but this place really doesn't hold up to the crisp personal service one would expect from a well reviewed hotel.
Major problem was Construction literally against the building. A rude wakeup call at 7:30 am and loud enough to be annoying even if it were mid afternoon. I am not a fan of the ask for changes after you see the problem, when you know it was already known by the other party, I find this insulting and just checked out. Went to the Sutton Hotel and it was perfect, incredible service, and even the two to 3 blocks in each direction difference was night and day. Much nicer to be a couple of blocks further from Granville street and to be on on the other side of Robson. Much, much nicer.
On checkout at the Met no appologies for the problem and I even had an extra facilities fee attached to my bill. Just laughed, said nothing, paid, left.
Great move!! Big construction problem that has to be at least a year. Go Elsewhere!!!

• Liked — the complimentary cookies
  • Disliked — construction noise
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wrldtrst
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2008

We stayed at the Metropolitan recently for 4 nights and were very satisfied with the room, service and general facilities. Location is good with easy access to shops and restaurants. It has its own quality restaurant (Diva at The Met) which is fairly pricey but is worth it for a special ocasion. Breakfast was fine but this can also be found in malls nearby.

Only problem was that there is a major refurbishment/rebuilding of another hotel next door and this causes some noise from 7am onwards finishing by around 5pm. We received no advance warning about this and it looks likely to continue for some time - probably into next year.

• Liked — Room quality and service
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Nr. Chester, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2008

We stayed at the Metropolitan for 3 nights during a trip of the USA and Canada. We arrived into Vancouver from Seattle to rain unfortunately – well, they do call Vancouver ‘Brollywood’ I guess! We were warmly greeted by check-in and the concierge which was a great start. The hotel lobby is very clean and well presented.

We just booked a normal room but I had told them when I booked it that it was our first wedding anniversary so would appreciate the best room for the rate. We were given a room on the top floor which was wonderful. It was so spacious and had a HUGE bathroom with 2 sinks, a large shower and a hydro-bath. The room also had 2 sets of patio doors which opened out onto a double spacious balcony with a lovely view over the city.

The hotel provide you with umbrellas to use whilst you stay there as they know it can be rainy in Vancouver. Thankfully during our stay, the weather suddenly changed and they had an all-time record high for that time of year with glorious sun and blue skies.

The only set-back the hotel has at the moment (which isn’t the fault of the hotel) is that the Georgia Hotel 2 doors down are building ‘residences’ inbetween themselves and the Metropolitan. The building work didn’t bother us as we were on the top floor of the hotel and, at the moment, the building work is still deep into the foundations. It will become a huge problem to guests as the building work progresses further or if guests end up being lower down that we were so just a word of warning to you if you are considering staying – request a room away from the Georgia side and high up!

The hotels location is superb. It’s directly opposite the Pacific Centre Shopping Mall which is soooo convenient. It’s also only about a 5 minute walk to Robson Street which has fantastic shopping. We went to the White Spot (a couple of blocks away) for a big hearty breakfast to keep you going all day! I’d definitely recommend going to Stanley Park and the Aquarium.

If you are looking for nice places to eat then I can definitely recommend Joe Fortes Seafood and Chop House and also HIGHLY recommend Lombardos on Smithe St. – it’s a really lovely Italian Restaurant and serve amazing pizza!

• Liked — Our large room, large bathroom with hydro bath and the comfy bed
  • Disliked — It wasn't a problem for us but the building work next door will be an issue in the future
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
4 Thank Squiz
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2008

Visited the hotel as a part of a delegation. Check-in was not too fast and was almost able to handle that we were part of a delegation who paid for all.
Delivery of luggage was extremely slow - took an hour to handle my suitcase.
Breakfast was okay with almost food enough for everybody. Very limited choices of fruit and hot food. Compared with other hotels I was disappointed.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business