“Abysmal”

Ranked #28 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Denver, Colorado
“Abysmal”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We booked a deluxe bedroom-King Bed requested, for 3 nights. We booked this room far in advance, in April. When we arrived on July 24, we were shown to a dreary room with black, beige and grey curtains and headboards for 2 twin beds which also had a connecting doorway to another room. We could clearly hear the occupant of the other room on a conference call, so loud that it sounded as if she were in our own room. I did see the photos of the twin beds on this site when I booked our room, but since we were booking a king bed I really had not paid them much attention, since I wasn't expecting to be in one! Surveying the room, I thought immediately, "There must be a mistake. I'll call down to the front desk and get this corrected." However, there was no correcting this. On the phone, I was told that we were in a deluxe room and that there were no king beds, queen beds, or double beds for the remainder of our stay. Apparently all their rooms are called 'deluxe.' I asked if they could contact us in case there was a cancellation, but was told there would be no moving from one room to another and that nothing could be done. At all. This sounded to me like maybe a new person at the desk wasn't comfortable with promising anything else, so my partner went downstairs to talk to a manager. However, it became even worse. He was told, "You cannot expect me to push someone out of their room so you can have it, do you?" Well of course we were not expecting that, and this is not what we were asking. We were simply asking to be kept under consideration if there was a cancellation or something of that nature. But the answer was no, we would not be moved under any circumstances. I could not comprehend why something we reserved in April, that showed as confirmed...was not available to us. The manager on duty insinuated that it was the travel agent's fault and that all he did was guarantee us a room, and that the TYPE of room was not guaranteed and we were only due whatever was available. I cannot confirm or deny that it was the agent's fault, but I did have the confirmation of a deluxe room with a king bed request in my hand, so something did not add up. (Our travel agent was currently out of the country on a cruise vacation himself so we could not contact him at that moment). But...we have never had any issues with our travel agent with our hotel reservations and we have used him for years. Still, giving the benefit of the doubt, all we asked for was some communication if another room opened up, and the manager insisted that no room was going to open up and we were not moving. It was all so very cut and dry with no attempt to even attempt a solution.

So...we were stuck. Determined to not let this ruin the end of our vacation, we knew we would have to make the best of it, somehow. Thankfully, the conference caller next door was only there for the one night, and the next night was peaceful. However, the last night we did have neighbors again and we heard every sneeze, every word, every piece of change dropped onto the desk, etcetera. To make matters worse, the shower baredly dribbled out water. We had to stand in there forever in order to rinse off the soap. The bathroom looked nice, but did not function well at all. I will say that for something that looked as if it was remodeled in the early 90s, it was clean and the beds were comfortable with nice sheets. But there was obvious wear and tear. There was a footprint on the wall at the base of my bed, and the carpet had stains that had been there for awhile. We paid $262 per night for this room. Having been to Vancouver many times in the past, we know we far overpaid for this hotel. I cannot in any way recommend it.

Room Tip: I am not sure how you would choose a good room here. They are all apparently classified as 'delu...
4 Thank Umbraco
Joe D, General Manager at Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Umbraco,
I would like to express my sincere appreciation for taking time to share your comments with the readers of Trip Advisor. All guest feedback is of great value and provides us with the ability to acknowledge outstanding performances, as well as, to quickly identify areas needing attention and improvement.
We truly did not deliver on our commitment to provide great service to you and your partner. And for this we want to express our sincerest apologies. I truly regret that we did not handle things better and have followed up with my team to ensure such a situation does not recur.
We value your business and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Joe Dias

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Korean first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed at the Metropolitan Hotel for two nights. Our experience was wonderful! The hotel's employees were attentive and right on cue. Doormen were pleasant, front desk employees personable and the concierge (I wish I could remember her name, she has a heavy french accent) was so VERY helpful in helping us to make plans. Our room was deluxe! Comfortable beds, awesome bathroom and good view of the city. They have a beautiful indoor pool, spa and workout room. Very centrally located, we walked everywhere.

The only thing I would mention is this (which is really rather picky but may be important for the staff.) We travelled with another couple. Waiting for them in their room was a small box of goodies and a personal note welcoming them to the hotel. We did not have such items waiting for us in our room..

Brisbane
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed here in June for 4 nights just prior to catching a cruise. We were pleasantly surprised when we got an upgrade to a larger suite. Heaps of room and on a high floor so traffic noise was not an issue. The rooms are well maintained and staff were efficient and courteous. A big bonus to this hotel is their restaurant Diva which is excellent. The hotel is in a great location and basically an easy stroll to most things in downtown. Will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in June on business. Front desk fast and efficient and doormen/concierge always friendly. Very close to restaurants and Robson street and a short walk down to cruise ship terminal and convention centre. Rooms are spacious and clean, large bathrooms however some old wood furniture and closets don't seem to fit with the otherwise modern decor.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My girlfriend and I were staying downtown for a friend's wedding, just for a night. The Met was cheaper than some other places, so we jumped at the $189 price tag (via Expedia, booked a week in advance).
We had a bit of a scheduling jam, and a simply call to the front desk a few hours before check-in time enabled us to get into our room an hour early. We were able to get settled and make the wedding service with time to spare.
Upon arrival at the hotel, valet was great and whisked away the car while helping us with our bags. $40/night for hotel parking isn't too bad for downtown Vancouver.
We were upgraded upon arrival to a king suite, which was on the 8th floor overlooking Howe Street. We heard no noise during the night, from the street or the hallway, and there was a little balcony! It isn't much, but usually hotels don't even let you have a window that opens.
Bed, bedding, decor, washroom, were all great. My only knock against the shower was that the head was a bit low, at about my face level (I'm 6 ft tall, which isn't gigantic by any means). It's a great looking hotel, with good amenities (free WiFi!) and delightful staff.

If you want better, go down to the Hotel Georgia, and be prepared to pay with your first born child. The Met is a great hotel in the heart of downtown Vancouver. Definitely recommended.

1 Thank RWGene
Arizona
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Good location - right near the Four Seasons, Pacific Centre shopping and the Art Gallery.

Paid $289 for King through Hotels.com Rooms were really nice we liked the bed and the bedding. Bathroom and products good too. Rooms were big city small, but that is to be expected. Would stay here again.

Painfully slow elevators.

Room Tip: Higher is better - loud traffic on street below.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul H, Director of Sales at Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay. You will have to try the lemon tarts at Diva at the Met, the next time you are here. Our new pastry chef is working wonders!
São Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed July 24, 2013

All here is pleasant, the rooms, the staff and the oportunity to walk to most of the tourist palces here in Vancouver.
My special thanks goes to the front desk, who was friendly and kind at all times, see, not all hotels that I've been have a service like this hotel offers you.
The only item to improve is the breakfast, which could have been a little bit better.
It worth the stay!