“Great stay in the heart of a vibrant city”

Hyatt Regency Vancouver
Ranked #26 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix, AZ
“Great stay in the heart of a vibrant city”
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Our room had a view of the harbor. It was extremely comfortable and well appointed. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful. The location of the property was convenient to enjoy walking, restaurants and almost anything else. We parked our car for 3 days. I enjoyed reading by the pool several times in the fitness area.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sussex
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We spent 3 days here in September after returning from an Alaska cruise. The hotel was what you expect a city business hotel to be - big, clean, with good facilities, but sterile with no atmosphere. I booked 2 rooms for the 3 nights through Priceline and got a very, very good deal - otherwise it is not worth the normal rate (in my opinion). Paid an extra $25 a night to upgrade one of the rooms to a kingsize bed. Location is good, if a bit noisy. My only complaint is the cost of parking and the fact that they charge for internet access - this was the only hotel during our 2 week vaction that did so.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Somerset
Reviewed October 10, 2010

I loved my stay at the Hyatt.

The room was modern, large and spacious, two double beds, desk, flat screen television, tiled bathroom, and efficient maid service.

The Starbucks in the lobby was very useful as the option of breakfast in the dining room was rather expensive.

Robson Street just a block or two away, beautiful Coal Harbour about ten minutes walk and best of all Burrard Sky Train Station so near you can exit the hotel into a small mall then take escalator down without even getting wet!

To get there from airport take the Skytrain to Waterfront then change line and one stop to Burrard. Alternatively get off one stop before at Vancouver City Centre Station and walk a few blocks rather than change line. To return to Airport make sure you get Skytrain to YVR as alternate ones go to Richmond Brighouse.

We found the lunch buffet at Salam Bombay 755 Burrard (few minutes walk) very good and only 15 dollars. Also Takis Taverna 1106 Davie St (about 20 minutes walk) is excellent if you like greek food - good value, great atmosphere and huge kleftiko - very popular, sometimes have to wait for a table. For authentic Dim Sum take the Skytrain to Aberdeen Centre (a mall in an area referred to as Hongcouver!) for lunch at one of the restaurants there.

2 Thank ZebraLindsey
rochester, ny
Reviewed October 3, 2010

First, I will mention I have been staying in a lot of hotels during my month long All You Can Jet pass with Jetblue. This was the only hotel that ripped me off.
While checking in we inquired about the price of parking for our stay and were quoted a price of $38 which he said we could pay via credit card when pulling out of garage. I was letdown to see the elevator from the parking garage, down a few flights of stairs into the hotel was broken. How many times would I really need to walk up those stairs? So I sucked it up.
The next day we checked out and the elevator was still broken. One of us went to get the car while the other waited with the bags in front of the hotel. After 15 minutes my friend emerged and said the parking ticket wanted $50 to check out. She had to climb the stairs to tell me this. We complained at the front desk and were assured the rate was the $38 discounted rate and to try again. I went down to take care of parking, sure enough the ticket still wanted $50. I climbed back up the stairs to complain again, they told me the rate should have been $38 and gave me a new checkout card. I was annoyed and went back down to try again. This time the card said it was expired and couldn't accept it. Pretty pissed off by this time I went back up and asked to speak the the manager who was condescending and said "we don't own the garage, there is nothing we can do."
That's a nice attitude. I informed him his facility connects to that garage and offers an entrance from the hotel to that garage so it is his problem and that I wasn't thrilled with the numerous trips up and down the stairs with a bad leg. He checked the parking ticket and said "well, it's fixed now."
Guess what? Not fixed. I came back upstairs REALLY pissed off. An employee, not the manager apologized and said "we will take care of this." He took about 10 minutes to check on what to do and came back and said "when you get to the exit area press the help button and we will let you out of the garage, our compliments for the problem."
A little annoyed no one offered to help with our bags our go with us to the many trips to the garage the entire time to ensure the ticket was being rejected, but that seemed fair.
Guess what got tacked on to my hotel bill when I checked my credit card? Oooh yeah, $38 (American funds).
So, here's the rundown on the hotel. It was very clean, the location is great, the rooms are very small but typical of city hotels. Room was nicely decorated and updated. You have to pay for internet, so be prepared for that. The service, it bites.
The night before the fire alarm went off at 11pm. It went off for about 10 minutes when we finally wandered to the hallway to see what others were doing. There stood the other floor 6 guests having the same debate. One guest informed us firetrucks were lined up outside the hotel (she could see from her window) so as a group we headed downstairs. Via stairs of course. yay stairs. After being outside for about 10 minutes the fire department said it was a kitchen fire and safe to go back in.
I mentioned this to the condescending hotel manager after I was pretty pissed off about the whole parking thing and he said "that's not true, I personally made an announcement no one had to leave their rooms after 2 minutes of the alarm going off."
Ooooh, really? Since the siren and flashing lights inside the rooms and hallways kept going off, we the guests on the 6th floor thought it would be fun to head outside in our jammies for the heck of it after seeing actual fireman charging into building. He never apologized. It's a nice looking hotel, clean, lots of employees around but apparently no one other than the cleaning staff do anything. No one once offered to help with our bags, sight seeing details, or similar requests. Not the usual 4 star treatment I have experienced at other places.
I called the Hyatt accounting department to complain about the charge, out of fairness it was the weekend so they were closed. We'll see if they respond. I'm not optimistic. I am waiting to hear that I clearly don't know how to use a parking ticket.
There are plenty of lovely looking hotels in the area, all with about the same rating. I met a ton of other travelers who stayed at those and had great service and more than just a clean bed for their money.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank menacingpickle
New York
Reviewed September 30, 2010

We had one night in Vancouver before flying back to London. We had stayed in a different hotel at the start of our trip but wanted somewhere of decent quality and not too expensive, which we found a challenge. We had a good price here and so booked it. The porters were very helpful and we had a really quick check in. We had requested a balcony view and got this type of room which was good. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom nice. Yes it would have been nice to have proper glasses in the room if they provide a mini bar but everything else was good, The location is perfect - just a few blocks from shopping, restaurants etc. We had breakfast delivered, very nice and hot and we requested a late check out which they were fine with. Overall I'd say it was standard for a 4* chain and for the price was really good.

1 Thank Mary014
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed September 30, 2010

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency the night before leaving on a cruise. Had we been embarking at Canada Place we could have walked but we left from Ballantyne Pier so took a taxi ($20 inc. tip). We could have taken the Sky Train from the airport but since there were 4 of us traveling together it was just as economical to take a cab ($30 inc. tip). The hotel is very centrally located near shopping, restaurants, transportation and only a few blocks to the waterfront. There is a Tim Horton's right outside the front door (and a McDonald's for those that go there.) The "hop on hop off" trolley stop was right outside one of the hotel entrances and the hotel gave us a discount coupon for the tour. We did not eat at the hotel but there was a very nice dining room. We did have a drink in the Library Lounge which was very pleasant & not too expensive. Instead of table/chairs it is furnished with comfortable couches, cocktail tables & plush chairs, very casual. Our room was reserved through Priceline & total price was $120 inc. tax. The check in process was very efficient & our young female desk clerk was from Korea, very pleasant, even amusing as we exchanged names of favorite foreign movies and cities to visit! There were no King beds remaining so we had 2 doubles but were moved to a higher room with a spectacular view of the city & harbor way in the background. The rooms had been renovated in neutral tones with very attractive black tile in the bathroom. There was plenty of room to move around, in room coffee, a nice computer desk & chair & comfy chair with ottoman. All in all a bargain in a very expensive city.

1 Thank spikeandchopper
New York City, New York

What a great hotel!

The Hyatt has all the things we look for when selecting a hotel, great center city location, wonderful staff, a new $18 million renovation that has left the rooms and public spaces sparkling clean, a full wall of windows that lets in lots of light, they honored our request for an early check-in, a Starbucks in the lobby, a 24/7 Tim Horton's and McDonald's 50 feet out the front door and a small upscale shopping mall attached to the lobby with a wonderful food court in the basement that offered an extensive selection of ethnic foods. In other words, all the comforts of home.

Coming from New York, the rates seem like a bargain for the product offered. The buffet breakfast is top notch and room service promised and arrived in less than 30 minutes. Anyone who complains about this hotel had better stay home.

3 Thank NYCFrank