“Very nice room and bath with excellent service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hyatt Regency Vancouver
Ranked #22 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Glens Falls, New York
“Very nice room and bath with excellent service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

My husband and myself were only in Vancouver for 2 nights after our Alaska cruise and found this hotel to be lovely. The check in and bell service were very efficient and prompt. The concierge was extremely helpful since we wanted to pack as much in 2 days as possible. Our room on 32nd floor was large, clean and very modern in design. The bathroom was large compared to many large hotels. The downside was the price we paid. I guess it is my fault that we paid $150. US dollars a night. I learned from friends, they stayed at the same time and only paid $55. It still is a great hotel and I highly recommend it.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Misslinda68

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Grand Junction, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2009

This is a first rate hotel in an excellent location. Prior to arrival I was contacted by the concierge who arranged our tours and restaurant reservations before our arrival. When we arrived all our reservations were ready. I had requested a low floor because my wife does not like riding in elevators. But it turned out that the street noise made it tough to sleep the first night so the next morning I requested a room change and was moved to the 28th floor. No noise there. The location is excellent. Just a couple of blocks to Robson Street and a couple of blocks to the water. Tour bosses stop right at the hotel. The sky train (which will soon take you to the airport), is a block away. They have a nice bar with piano music. Everyone on the staff we met was super nice. The rooms were very nice, large, and the bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2009

had a good deal for one night on priceline before embarking on a cruise to Alaska. Pleasant bell hop service. Fortunate to get a 32nd floor room with a view. Room interior has tasteful design and ambience. Fitness center has updated equipment including treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, free weights, and yoga balls. Noticed kid and families were enjoying the small outdoor pool and hot tub. Can't beat the location 4 short blocks from Robson Street where a few dozen restaurants and shops are bustling with people. Also a few short blocks ($7 cab ride) from Canada Place, the cruise ship port.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2009

We stayed at this Hyatt for a couple nights while we were on a road trip. Compared to other Hyatts I have stayed at, this one was very nice, modern and updated...they had just recently remodeled the hotel. Beautiful city views and very convenient location...we were able to walk to many different restaurants and retail stores. There was ample parking available, but you did have to pay. We did really enjoy our stay, but felt there was nothing really special about this hotel, just a nice basic 4 star, so the next time we stay in Vancouver we would probably try out another hotel. However, if you are able to get a great deal on this hotel I would definitely recommend staying there.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank babygoldfish
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2009

We booked one night at the Vancouver Hyatt through priceline.com for $90 US (but I have a feeling you can get it for cheaper) and were pleasantly surprised by the nice, modern accommodations. The standard room was large, clean, recently renovated, and with nice amenities- large comfy bed, flat screen tv, neat shower. The hotel was centrally located in downtown, perfectly situated for access to shopping and restaurants, and within walking distance from Stanley Park. We found the computerized check in and check out to be very efficient and the front desk staff to be very attentive. Additionally, the concierge was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. For parking, we found the overnight parking in the Chinese-owned (?) parking lot right beneath the hotel itself. For overnight parking on a Friday night + Saturday parking until 6pm, the parking bill came out to only $10.70 US- significantly cheaper than hotel parking, and just as convenient. Overall, a great stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LanikaiLove
Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2009

Our three-night stay at the Hyatt came at a good value through Priceline. We're extremely happy with what we received for the price we paid: an absolutely lovely room and a hotel with unerringly helpful and friendly staff.

First, the room. Maybe we've been staying in the wrong places, but the decor in the room we received was far more style-forward and modern than any hotel we've visited in recent memory. We were very impressed, especially when comparing the rate we paid for a passable small-town motel room the night before.

Location is excellent, on Burrard just a couple of blocks away from Robson and basically sitting directly on top of Burrard SkyTrain station. Stanley Park is also a fairly easy walk.

The staff created an excellent first impression. From the woman who assisted in checking us in to the bell staff, everyone jumped to serve us -- whether they were likely to receive a tip or not. This attitude continued throughout our stay.

Indeed, the check-in lady advised us -- very kindly -- to pay for parking directly with the garage, since we weren't planning on using the car on our three nights (and therefore didn't need in-out privileges) as it would save us money. In the end we paid $60 for the three nights of parking -- two of them weekend nights -- versus the $84 it would have cost at the hotel's $28-a-night rate.

Which really brings up the hotel's main shortcoming: value. For a discount rate, it's a no-brainer. But like many higher-end hotels, you'll be nickeled and dimed on incidentals. Parking, as mentioned is $28 a night. A lot, but I've seen worse ($35US a night for self-parking in downtown Seattle, for one). High-speed Internet runs $15 a night. After asking about the business centre and later hearing someone else ask a different concierge person, there may or may not be charges for it, and if there are they're pretty astronomical. Crazy hotel rates for direct-dial long distance ($12 for a two-minute call within Canada).

At the rate we paid, these were no big deal. And I suppose for the type of person who routinely seeks out four-star accommodation at full rates, they're just a drop in the bucket. But there are obviously other quality hotels around the downtown area that advertise better rates and get similar accolades on this site. I wouldn't try to dissuade anyone from using this hotel. I'm a big fan... but if bang for the buck is the largest concern, there may be more bang elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Seoul, South Korea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2009

The hotel is centrally located near all the shops and everything. It is even close to the bay.

One of the staff was very rude when I asked him something and when I said I was going to complain about his bad attitude and walked away, I looked back and saw that he was glaring at me.

We only had carry-ons, so we could have just taken our bags up to the rooms ourselves. But we gave them to the bell staff, who were very old, and they never brought them up! When I called to ask about the bags (30 minutes later), they were promptly brought up by a younger bellboy.

There was a cheap cafe on the second floor and an average bar on the ground level. I was not impressed by the facilities at all. The food served at the reception for our conference was not very good at all and ran out faster than receptions at other hotels. The mixed drinks sucked.

The rooms were alright. I shall say no more about them.

I could not believe this was a Hyatt Regency. I thought it was a Hilton. The hotel looks and acts like an airport Hilton. No worse! Much worse! In fact, there are some very good airport Hiltons now so I would rate this hotel even lower.

SUMMARY: I could give this hotel another try since I read here that there was a renovation in late 2008 (after my stay). But I really think management needs to train the staff better. Three and a half stars.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business