“Excellent location for the heart of Vancouver”

Hyatt Regency Vancouver
Ranked #27 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

I was really impressed with the service, modern decor, rooms, and meeting spaces. The entire staff is friendly and accommodating which after staying a few other places recently was very refreshing. This is a nice location that is worth a visit on your next trip.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Vancouver

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Book this hotel after seeing a promotion on tripadvisor for a $75 Amex gift card with each reservation. We had no problem with our reservation, and upon arrival were handed our gift cards, which we were told we could use at checkout.

The room didn't have a scenic view, but there was a huge floor to ceiling window, so there was nice light coming in. Personally loved the decor - black and white mostly, dark wood - definitely had a modern/clean feel to it.

Location is near downtown, so there's restaurants within walking distance and it's really close to Robson Street, which has tons of shopping. My husband and I were able to run to the sea wall from our hotel and run a large circle around the sea wall in Stanley Park. I didn't have my GPS, but I'd guess it was about 7-8 miles for the whole thing.

I'd stay here again.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

This hotel met my expectations for a downtown hotel. Good service at check-in and very clean premises. I was located on the 27th floor and was hoping for some excellent views, but unfortunately the location is encapsulated by other tall buildings, so the only view you get is into offices across the street.

The location is excellent, only 2 blocks from Granville and the SkyTrain station to the airport. Lots of restaurants in a 5 block radius. I was able to walk to Yaletown, English Bay Beach and Stanley Park, all are within a 20-30 minute walk from the hotel.

The rooms are modern; I would classify them a little above average for a 4* downtown hotel.

Tip: There's a drugstore in the mall that's connected to the hotel. Go there for water, snacks, and anything else you might need.

3  Thank julp29
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I read many reviews before booking the Hyatt and admit some of them made me nervous, talking about the excessive noise, expensive parking, etc. Well I have to say, for a downtown hotel in a major city, we were very impressed. And we stay in many hotels. The location is of course fabulous and the parking is of course expensive - after all, you are staying in a downtown hotel in a major city - suck it up, you will have to pay a huge rate at any downtown hotel as far as what I could see. We booked the AAA rate, got a substantial discount and free breakfast (breakfast is normally a $26 buffet, so we were very happy with that!). The elevators are super cool (I can't understand why people complain about efficient power saving elevators that make so much sense to use??), the rooms were very nice and very clean, and we had no issue with noise - and we were there over New Years Eve too! I specifically asked for a room at the back of the hotel and that's what we received. Yes, internet was extra however I noticed most downtown hotels charge internet extra. I do think it should be included in the room, however it is free in the lobby or at Starbucks. Beds were comfortable, the bath was just fine in terms of size (there were some complaints but ours was a normal 5 foot tub), nice desk and TV - and for the price we got, it blew the value of the other hotels away. I will certainly stay here every time I want a downtown Vancouver hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the hotel and from what I read in the other reviews, one without...
1  Thank VernonTourist
BrandiLasanen, Executive Office at Hyatt Regency Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear VernonTourist,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review! It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you enjoyed the buffet breakfast that was included in our AAA promotion. I am happy to hear that you were very impressed with our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are looking to stay in Downtown Vancouver.

Warm Regards,
Brandi

Reviewed January 5, 2014

The Hyatt Regency in Vancouver is a very good hotel in the centre of downtown Vancouver. The hotel is very clean and the rooms are clean, luxe and spacious. The service is fantastic. The doormen watched our car and turned it while we were checking in. The location of the hotel is perfect with restaurants in the street and it is close to public transport (metro and bus).

It is very pricy, but we booked via priceline and we get a very good deal. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We booked this hotel after seeing a promotion on Travelzoo, which provided a $75.00 American Express gift card with each reservation. Since the reservation was made through a “third party” I telephoned the hotel to have them e-mail me a confirmation. After three telephone calls, and speaking with three different hotel representatives, I never did receive any e-mailed confirmations.
Check-in was fine, and the lady at the front desk was friendly. It was at check-in, that I was informed of the outrageous charge of $35.57 plus tax for overnight parking at the hotel. The room on the 27th floor was of average size, it was clean, and the beds were good. For those who look forward to a good hotel shower, look elsewhere, as the only alternative was a small “rain” type showerhead in the middle of the ceiling of the shower. No hope, if someone didn’t want to get their hair wet. There was no complimentary Wi-fi, and basic internet access was listed at $9.95 per day. Premium internet was $14.95 per day. A 500ml bottle of water in the room was $3.50. The front desk was basically of no help when at 10pm I asked for a couple of forks with which to eat a dessert that we had bought. Luckily, the staff at the bar in the lobby were more accommodating. The hotel is conveniently located across the street from the Burrard Street Skytrain Station, so access to almost anywhere in the city is easy.
As far as I can tell, the only difference between this “upscale” hotel and the “average” downtown hotel is that the Front Desk staff is way better dressed. Would I stay here again? Probably not. Even with the $75.00 in Gift Cards, I didn’t think that this hotel was a good value.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank exchef1
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Went to Vancouver for a quick weekend trip that came up last minute. I booked the Hyatt Regency because of location and it worked out great. I arrived late in the evening and the hotel stay was very accommodating. The room itself was comfortable and quiet. Overall, the hotel was clean, conveniently located, and had a very friendly staff. I would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family