“Central Location for Work or Tourism”

Hyatt Regency Vancouver
Ranked #22 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ottawa, Canada
“Central Location for Work or Tourism”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Was at the Hyatt for 4 nights for work related trip. Everything was as expected, bed was comfy, room very clean, I didn't have much of a view, but that was ok as you can get enough and more views once you are out of the hotel. Love the Hyatt service that allows you to order in free basic amenities (toothpaste, slippers, shaving cream, razors, etc ++++) for free...it saves a ton of hassle when packing and shopping around when you land. Closet space was excellent as was the bathroom size. The way the room was organized was also very good, the bathroom area was separated, so almost gave the sense of a one bedroom apartment than the usual hotel room feel.

Hotel is centrally located as can be, close to the main shopping area and high end shopping area. Lots of touristy shops, higher end restaurants etc and just 10+/- mins to the quay. I could walk almost everywhere. The starbucks in the lobby is also a plus point.

There's also a public transport, bus bay just 25 feet away from the hotel, its connected to a smallish mall with coffee shops, and some other shops. The Chinese restaurant next door is a good alternate to hotel food.

Only and minor issue was that I could hear some outside noise, I am a light sleeper, so that may have something to do with it as well.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
BrandiLasanen, Executive Office at Hyatt Regency Vancouver, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear JR R,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us! It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you liked our convenient, central location. I am happy you were able to make use of our "Hyatt Has It" program to request amenities to use during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Vancouver.

Brandi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Checked in midweek following a long flight from Europe once up the escalator and into the lobby I was impressed by the space and design ,the front desk staff gave me a warm welcome ,just as the immigration and customs staff at Vancouver airport had !, Canadians are very friendly people ,
Once I had checked in and was told about the hotels facilities and what was available locally I made my way to the high tech elevators , I have stayed in many hotels but never used an elevator like this before, once you get used to it it makes sense.
The room was clean spacious also quite high tech ,lots of power points ,clean bathroom and great view ,room to room sound proofing could have been better but was not a major problem
The bed and pillows where very comfortable and I had a pleasant sleep
Check out the next day was effortless and swift and I departed with a very positive impression of the high class high tech hotel in a great location

Stayed July 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Hotel is beautifully decorated and located centrally (see my pix). If you are a light sleeper go for a higher floor as you will hear the noise especially if facing the busy road. We got a Regency Club upgrade and we felt that during busy times Regency Club resembles a busy canteen and there were loads of kids. You have to pay for alcoholic drinks at reduced prices (4 dollars for a glass of wine). It did not bother us as we only drank soft drinks however it might be an issue for others. We had to move room twice due to some issues however I must point out one thing which makes this hotel so outstanding. Staff... A lovely duty manager called Rosanna could not have been more friendly, helpful and genuine in the way she treated us. She really rescued my birthday trip at the time when I felt it was falling apart. This hotel has around 600 rooms however she made us feel that we were the only guests there. Regency Club staff are simply superb... I have never met such a friendly bunch of people....Jennifer and Ting as well as others are fantastic at giving personal recommendations and taking time to talk even during busy times. They all are a True credit to Hyatt Hotel Vancouver.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on a higher floor away from the main road if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Grapevine, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

When visiting Vancouver, be sure to stay at this location! The staff are all courteous and accommodating. The restaurants are very nice. The location is excellent! The hotel is 4 blocks away from The Waterfront and three blocks away from Cordova street. Cordova street is where all of the souvenir shops are along with plenty of restaurants. If you get a higher floor, the view is absolutely gorgeous!!! We traveled the first week of July and the weather was beautiful!!! We had a great vacation!!

Room Tip: Room 3209 has a great view!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ames, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

The hotel was a 10 dollar cab fare after the cruise, less than the 11 to 13 fare listed at port for downtown hotels, that included more than 2 bucks tip. Fare to airport from hotel was 40 including about 4 dollar tip. Cabs line up outside in the morning so no need to call one. Hotel honored early check in (even before noon) without attitude nor extra cost (although I did request this from the Hyatt call center), a very nice touch. Sorta don't like the elevators, you scan card before you get in, I can see this makes it faster but didn't like that as I waited for others to get off the doors shut me out before I was able to take the 3 steps to get on. This happened more than once. Also the 4 rating as opposed to five mostly came from outdoor noise. I was on the 20th floor and could still hear exhuast and car horns all night. I think it was a corner room which may have made it worse. But the hotel should find a way to sound proof a bit better. Also can hear from other rooms, water sounds and nose blowing, stuff you shouldn't hear. The room was nice sized, bathroom big enough the door wont hit legs while duty calls, was cleaner than most hotels, big TV comfy bed, plenty of power ports (same plug as US uses). My tooth brush started to stink from being damp in a plastic bag and they brought up a new one and mouthwash for no charge , another nice touch. My room had a mini fridge, also nice. If not for traffic noise I think I would have had a good sleep and highly recommend the hotel if you can handle the sounds. I think they might charge for parking so if you are staying downtown mostly take a cab as the car is more of a hassle. I think hotel near airport will be cheaper but there might not be much to do out that way. Also plan on dining costing about 30 to 50% more than the US. Hotel also has a nice room service menu that might run 30 per person including tip. I opted for mcdonalds next door for about 6 bucks but it was just as trashy if not more trashy than what you can find in the US, the one a few blocks down on robson seemed cleaner that I ate at before the cruise. Also if you care about free breakfast you might consider somewhere else. See my other Vancouver reveiw.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

This Hyatt has a great central location. Next to the subway stop. Easy walk to a variety of restaurants and tourist destinations. The standard guestroom I had was very generously sized.

My check-in was smooth, and pleasant. The front desk agent provided restaurant recommendations, showed me how to work the elevators (they have a slightly different system found in large convention hotels).

On arrival to my room I had a maintenance staff person immediately ask me if he could change my light bulb above my desk. I had no problem with this; however I wonder how a vacant clean room ready for guest arrival had a maintenance request against it, and a guest was checked in to it.

On first look the room was fairly clean, but then I looked down and noted the large amounts of dust building up around the carpet trim by the door. This is typical of a room which has been spot cleaned during regular guestroom turnover and has not been “deep cleaned” to reach the areas where vacuums can’t in a long time. Next to it was the buckling carpet. Neither was a large issue, but certainly an indicator of the rest of the room’s potential. (Pictures added). The tops of the bed headboards are extremely dusty. In fact looking around the room there was several opportunities for housekeeping improvement. This was not corrected at all during my stay.

On my second last day, the housekeeper knocked on my door mid-afternoon asking to service my room. I advised her I needed fifteen minutes as I was still getting ready to go out. This was very confusing for her. After a few moments of awkward back and forth conversation, I finally got sick of the dialogue and said “That’s fine if you can’t come back in fifteen minutes, then I don’t require service today.” She then apologized and said she would come back in fifteen minutes. Not certain the confusion was, but she figured it out and my room was clean when I came back. Unfortunately the next day, they completely didn’t service my room. No note, or phone message was left advising they were unable to clean it, I can only assume that my dialogue from the day before somehow again got confused.

The workout room would be great if it was larger. It was packed; gaining access to equipment was very difficult. It probably could be 2 or 3 times larger to service a hotel that size.
Concierge lacks the personable touch. I bought a ticket through them for a local tour. The service was abrupt and rushed, not because there was clients waiting, but because the staff wanted to get back to their personal discussion which they immediately did before I left the desk.

Grain Bar is a great little place. I love the open window concept. The design is very nice. My server was fantastic. She made knowledgeable recommendations of the drinks and was very personable. My only suggestion is that the vibe of the room which has such a cool design isn’t in sync with the music and what was on the televisions.

Overall this hotel lacks an intuitive service level I expect from a hotel listed as Four Diamond. I would stay there again if I got a deal on Priceline, but certainly not for full price as there are many comparable hotel products in the immediate area which are priced similarly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BigHotelGuy
BrandiLasanen, Executive Office at Hyatt Regency Vancouver, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear BigHotelGuy,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. While I am happy to hear that you had a smooth check in process and enjoyed your visit to Grain Bar, I would like to apologize for the issues that you encountered during your stay with us. They are certainly not indicative of the standards that you should expect when staying at our hotel. I appreciate the constructive feedback as it will help us to identify the areas where we can improve for the future. I would like to speak to you further about your stay, and would appreciate if you can reach our to me directly at brandi.lasanen@hyatt.com.

Atlanta, U.S.A.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

We booked one night here prior to boarding our cruise ship for Alaska, and got a great deal in our opinion. We asked for and were given a room on a higher floor and had a very nice view of the downtown area and a slice of the harbor through the big windows.

To start with, the hotel itself is older, but appears to be fairly newly renovated throughout. Modern, upscale appointments and fixtures throughout and really clean rooms made it feel new and well-cared-for.

The rooms were very clean, of a good size, and the beds were quite comfortable, with nice linens. We liked the bathroom, but were not fond of the 'waterfall' shower -- it just doesn't seem as functionally useful as a more standard wall-mounted shower head.

The hotel's location turned out to be ideal for our short stay. It's a short 4-block walk from the hotel to the harbor (downhill), and just a little further to gastown and other sites. We really enjoyed walking about and taking in the sites.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the high-quality of the service we received. From check-in staff to porters, wait staff, and servers, we were greeted and assisted warmly at every turn.

The breakfast buffet was very nice, with a lot of localized favorites. Ordering from the menu, I highly recommend the breakfast BLT with salmon -- tasty!

While we only stayed one night, we found Vancouver a place we would like to visit again for an extended period. When we do, this Hyatt will be very high on our list to return to.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room to enjoy skyline and harbor views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear ATL2World,

Thank you for reviewing your recent visit! It is great to hear that you enjoyed your pre-cruise stay with us, and I appreciate you complimenting our team at the hotel on the high quality of service provided. I am also happy to hear that you are considering returning to Vancouver for a longer stay, and we hope that if you do, we can welcome you back again.