“Large Bus Station Hotel In Need Of Refurbishment”

Hyatt Regency Vancouver
Ranked #22 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Large Bus Station Hotel In Need Of Refurbishment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I booked out two rooms for 2 nights at the end of a 5 day ski trip to Whistler. My immediate thoughts are this is a large well run, efficient hotel (just like their one in Fort Lauderdale) That's before we had to wait 15 minutes to check in because of the queue and only 2 people on reception at that time.

The rooms were OK and as requested but they could use some TLC. The interior door between the bedroom and bathroom looked like it had been bought from a DIY store. It had (I guess been painted) however I defy anyone to find a cheaper door. There were holes in the carpet where no doubt a new TV or desk area had been installed and a large hole on the patio floor too. Saying that the bed was comfortable and my request for foam pillows was dealt with promptly. The cleaning of the room wasn't the best. Only one roll of toilet paper was available and despite this running low after 1 day it wasn't replaced. There were a couple of hairs in my bed upon arrival and when the bathroom was cleaned after the first day, shower gel wasn't replaced. Finally the water pressure in the room (24th floor) was terrible and not very hot. I'd say it took over 15 minutes to run the bath.

At 6am when I visited the gym, I was suprised to see every machine in use and a queue to use the equipment. This gym is way too small for a hotel of this size. Breakfast was OK but the choice on the buffet was a little limited. WIFI at $9.99 per day was expensive particularly when othe hotels include this (or offer it free with their loyalty membership - such as the Fairmont). The conceirge was OK (when we could find them) and booked us a taxi to take us back to the airport and recommended two restaurants. The first restaurant we attended, a loyal deli - awful and the other, a steak house we cancelled and booked a better one. I didn't feel any confidence that this department knew their local restaurants well.

The location was however great, for 2 nights it was OK but any longer stay, and I would have crossed the street and stayed at the Fairmont.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sim0ngee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Excellent in almost every way - perfect location, superb service, great rooms and amenities. Didn't like, however, the rain shower. The concept it good, but it's "unnatural" to shower like that. It was really difficult to wash certain parts of the body - had to twist and turn, so a five-minute shower ended up taking much longer. I'd prefer a regular shower head, so I guess sometimes modern things and things that look good don't actually function as well as the old usual shower head!

I asked for an upgrade (complimentary) and was given a higher room. I'm not a member of their loyalty program and I booked on a third-party website, so I was not expecting anything. I just asked the woman at check in and got it! I was very surprised! She said it would normally be extra, but she didn't charge me anything. PLUS she gave me free internet access for the duration of my stay!! I couldn't believe my luck. I was very, very happy.

Room Tip: Just ask for a free complimentary upgrade if its available. I asked and got upgraded to a higher flo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bruce A
BrandiLasanen, Executive Office at Hyatt Regency Vancouver, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear AVBKK,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the service to be "superb"! I did want to let you know, that if you prefer a more traditional showerhead, our rooms on floors 5 - 21 do offer a traditional wall-mounted showerhead, and during your next visit, just let our front desk know and we will be happy to ensure that we assign you to a room on one of those floors.

We look forward to your next visit to Vancouver.

Warm Regards,
Brandi
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Last summer I was unfortunately very ill while staying at the Hyatt. Having gone down to the reception I asked for the closest clinic. I was told that the clinic was very close and I could walk there. When I arrived at the clinic it no longer existed, I got a taxi back to the hotel and complained.

I was then given another clinic address, which I went to. When I arrived the clinic was actually closed. After two wasted trips, and being very unwell, I gave up and went back to my room. I then spent three days in my room and received a single voice mail from the duty manager.

Luckily my illness was not so sever that I could not drink, but given the circumstances, I think further contact from the hotel staff to check my condition after 24hrs and verify I did not require emergency or further treatment, was warranted.

The Hyatt should have a clear process to provide a duty of care to its customers in the event of illness. This was either not followed or needs updating as I seem to have fallen through the gaps multiple times.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Daniel K
Dear Daniel K,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I understand that our General Manager did reach out to you following your stay regarding the experience that you had in our hotel, and we have reviewed what happened in order to ensure that similar situations do not occur in the future. I would like to apologize again for a less than satisfactory stay, and would ask that the next time your travels bring you to Vancouver, if you can contact me at brandi.lasanen@hyatt.com so we can welcome you back and show you the service one can expect while staying at our hotel.

Warm Regards,
Brandi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here one night for my work christmas party nearby so the hotel was nicely decorated. The staff were friendly and room was very nice. High end bathroom fixtures were appreciated by my girlfriend.
Parking was cheaper than the hotel website indicated.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank adgwall
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

I had a great stay at this hotel. The staff was very friendly, helpful and efficient, the room was a good size and the bed very comfortable. Not a lot of outside noise, although there is some noise from the street below. It is very well located downtown, within walking distance of the SkyTrain and Canada Line which makes it very convenient (and cheap!) to get to and from the airport. They have a funky new elevator system which amused me. The Starbucks in the lobby was appreciated. I didn't use the pool or gym, but they looked great.

Room Tip: Do your research for the best rate - I can see where this hotel might be pricey!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank BC_CanadaWx_chick
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

The hotel was nice, clean, comfortable and located right downtown Vancouver (within walking distance to everything.) However, the price of parking was outrageous – you could go enjoy a lovely meal for the price you pay to park there.

Pros; their chocolate cake!!

Cons; price of parking and communication with front desk staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank kari l
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Very modern hotel, excellent rooms and comfortable beds. The staff were great and went out of their way to help with anything we wanted. Located in downtown Vancouver, right next to the skytrain station.

The Mosaic Bar & Grill on Level 2 is great. We had drinks and dinner there and were really impressed.

• Stayed February 2013