“Wants to be great but falls short”

Hyatt Regency Vancouver
Ranked #27 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 29, 2008

You would think this hotel has the potential to be great -- a central location in the heart of Vancouver's financial district, two blocks from the Robson shopping district and the Hyatt branding....but the hotel simply falls short.

On the plus side, it seems there was a remodel not too long ago, because the furniture was pretty plush and comfortable. The staff was unfailingly polite and responsive. Wireless internet was consistent throughout the property, though a little pricey at $14.50/day.

The biggest negative was a serious problem that, in all fairness, was advised to me before I checked in: rooms facing south on sunny days heat up to unbearable levels. I could tolerate this for this trip, since I was in meetings all day, but at 10pm at night it was still past 80 degrees F. After complaining twice, the building engineer left me a note suggesting I turn on the "fan" (which didn't do anything but recirculate the hot air) and/or open my door to let in the artic-cold hallway air. The engineer went on to say that the air conditioning gets "overwhelmed" on hot days, which I think is unacceptable. I heard others complaining about the same issue so I know I wasn't alone, I really think this is a top priority for Hyatt to correct.

The layout of the hotel is a little strange but not too untypical for a high-rise. The lobby is petit and the conference area pushes up a few floors, but the bigger issue is the elevators. There are five elevators that serve all floors, so the wait time is considerable -- especially during the morning rush. It seemed to us that at least 1-2 elevators were out during our entire stay.

I loved Vancouver and the location, but next time I'll try the Fairmont across the street.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank stewmc
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Vancouver

Reviewed February 22, 2008

We stayed at this hotel from Feb 14-19. I have stayed at a lot of hotels and this is by far the best! The room was really nice and extremely clean. The staff were outstanding! The location is awesome, walking distance to many places. Overall I can't think of one bad thing to say about this hotel. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Safaridog23
Reviewed February 18, 2008

We recently spent a weekend at the Hyatt in Vancouver, and would definitely recommend it. Our stay was part of a last-minute pacakge deal through travelocity, so I don't know what the regular price is, but it was definitely worth more than we paid.
Our room seemed to have been recently renovated, and was very nice. The hotel had all the amenities you would expect of a Hyatt, though we didn't really have the time to check them out. The hotel is in a fabulous location, within walking distance of most places a visitor would want to see. And of course it doesn't hurt to be able to walk out of the hotel and see the water and the mountains right in front of you.

• Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank jgk1977
Reviewed February 12, 2008

I just finished a four night stay at this hotel. I was upgraded to a suite with an outdoor balcony. I believe the suites are only located on the 33rd floor. So ask for a room on this floor ahead of time if you want a suite upgrade.

Everything looked very modern. Room service and consierge service was exceptional. ONE BIG PROBLEM though...a certain waitress at the hotel restaurant was very rude. She must have had a bad day or something, but it kinda ruined my entire day. Oh well. I hope you like the pictures I am posting of this property and the views too :)

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RobsPicsCom
Reviewed January 28, 2008

After 5 nights in Whistler we thought we'd check out Vancouver and we're glad we chose the Hyatt.

Recently renovated, our room was top notch. It was spacious with a decent view of the harbor (and the mountains through the buildings). Flat panel TV, elegant bathroom (with one of those toilet seats that won't slam) and a well designed work area should be requirements for all hotels.

When I asked about a night light for the bathroom (who likes to turn on the light in the middle of the night?), they brought me two glow sticks, one for each night (creative problem solving).

The bell staff was really responsive and the concierge was incredibly helpful for us to play tourists.

When I'm back in Vancouver, this is the only hotel I'll consider.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2008

Wow! We had a great stay at the Hyatt and were extremely impressed with every aspect of our stay. Here's our rundown...

Rooms: Really fantastic - I can't say enough about the rooms. Very recently renovated and in great condition. The beds were very comfortable, the linens were nice, and there were lots of pillows. There was a good alarm clock with radio and iPod connections on the bedside table. The bathrooms were really nice and very updated, and the toiletries (as they are in all Hyatts) were high-quality. The shower was funky - the water didn't come down from a shower head in the wall as is customary but from the ceiling, which took some getting-used-to but was kind of fun. In-room safe, coffee maker, and big flat-screen plasma TVs. No weird stains on the furniture or linens or anything - the rooms really have that new and recently-updated feeling. My favorite part of the room was the view! Fantastic views of downtown Vancouver. The windows were floor-to-ceiling and made up one whole side of our room. We could see the port where cruise ships came in day and night, which was kind of fun.

Hotel features: Nice, updated lobby. There is a business center off the lobby with a small charge for Internet access if you don't have a laptop with you. The restaurant on the second floor of the hotel is fantastic. Good hamburgers and salads and FANTASTIC service. I cannot say enough about our waitress at the restaurant; she was one of the friendliest restaurant employees we have ever encountered! We had some outstanding meals in Vancouver and our lunch at the hotel restaurant (Mosaic Bar & Grille) was definitely one of them.

Service: Very professional, friendly employees. From check-in to check-out, we were treated with utmost respect. I mentioned the great service in the hotel restaurant above, and we also met some extremely friendly and helpful concierges who gave us restaurant and activity suggestions and also lent us board games that we were able to take back to our rooms to keep and play for a few nights.

Location: Right in the middle of downtown Vancouver. A few blocks away from great restaurants and shopping centers (the concierges can give you tips there) and in walking distance from the port where cruise ships leave from Vancouver (10-minute walk). There is a stop for the hop-on hop-off Vancouver bus literally 10 steps from the back entrance of the hotel. The hotel is also connected to a shopping center with a convenience store and Starbucks.

Overall, we would highly recommend the Hyatt for all kinds of travelers. We had a delightful stay and the Hyatt definitely went above and beyond our expectations.

• Stayed: August 2007
4  Thank sfka2427
Reviewed January 23, 2008

This is a great building in an excellent location. Rooms are updated and comfortable. Breakfast is outstanding. Service is very friendly and sincere. Just a top hotel all around!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple