“Restless night....I'll (almost) guarantee it”
Review of Moda Hotel

Moda Hotel
Ranked #59 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed February 21, 2011

Trendy, affordable and wonderfully located describe the Moda Hotel. The one problem (and it’s huge) is the noise. The building is not well insulated and you can hear virtually every noise from outside, other rooms and the hallways. We stayed two nights and the first night we were awoken at around 1 am by what sounded like a rowdy group of bachelorettes in the hallway outside our door, yelling for about a half hour. At 2 am and then again at 3 am, we could clearly hear the obnoxious conversations from the people down below on the street. Also around 6 am (the second morning) the maids started cleaning the rooms surrounding us. In total both nights we probably got six hours of sleep. If you are in serious party mode this is the place for you!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HarleyQuin
There are newer reviews for Moda Hotel

Reviewed February 14, 2011

When I made my reservation at the hotel I wrote in the comment box (which i did see written on the registration card) that I would be checking in at 2:30pm a mere half hour before check-in... Well I arrived as I thought at 2:30pm and the lady at the desk informed me my room was not ready and the housekeeper just went up to clean my room due to a late check-out. She was very friendly and very nice. She took me up to a different suite which was inside the hotel (I had booked the room I booked because it was in a building across the street and I like not feeling like i am in a hotel). The was very nice and it was a good enough size considering I was by myself. When we arrived on the floor I was on there was plastic on the floor and other construction materials. She told me they would have it all cleaned up and nothing will happen on the weekend. They did clean everything up except for the plastic and some mattress' and stuff on the other side of the hallway. It never really affected my stay though... just pure vanity factor considering the price you pay you would expect it to present a little better. My room was nice and the bathroom was amazing and the bed was extremely comfortable. The only thing I have to complain about the room was the fact it did not smell very nice at all... It kind of had a cat litter smell or something and I opened the window before I invited friends over before a night of going out because it was kind of embarrassing. But it was not a nauseating make me complain, and cause a scene type of thing. You can tell it was just because the building is old and probably didn't help with all the renovations going on in the other rooms on the floor.

Because the hotel is old the walls and floors are very thin. I never had issues myself because I was on the top floor but I did receive a phone call from a noise complaint because I guess my friends and I were to loud hanging out and chatting in my living room before we left for the night.

When I came back from a wonderful night out my two friends came back with me to wait for their ride. The lobby door was locked and the guy at the door was very slow at opening them and it was very cold outside. We started walking up the stairs and he informed me that the hotel does not allow guests in my room because I only have one bed. I had never heard of this before... I work in a hotel and we don't have such rules. So I questioned it and he got very rude. He started to get angry and say they had to wait outside because they aren't guests of the hotel. I informed him... I am a paying guest of this hotel and the fact of how he is treating me was very rude I haven't encountered such rudeness. He continued to repeat himself saying my bedroom only has one bed so im only aloud one extra person. I told him they arent staying the night but their ride isn't expected for awhile because we left earlier than what we thought and they have to use the bathroom and such and didn't want to sit in the lobby. He continued to be very rude and "called the police" and threatened to kick me out because I was not going to my room and because they were not leaving the lobby. I found this very shocking and very rude because working in a hotel myself I don't like dealing with this kind of stuff at other hotels because I know what it is like but he just continued to pick a fight. I asked for his name so I could talk to someone in the morning and he said it doesn't matter what my name is sir because it won't matter. At this point I was getting extremely angry so I gave my friends money to take a cab home and I went up to my room.

Even though I had this unfortunate event I would stay here again. The location was wonderful and the rooms are great. I never even had to take a cab to the hotel as there is a sky-train from the airport directly there with only a blocks walk. I did take a cab to the airport as I was running behind and it cost me $30.00. If you do stay here I would suggest staying in a Moda Suite as that is the one I stayed in and I saw into other rooms and they are way to small for the cost and for the mere 20.00 difference or whatever the money is worth it. Their symphony vita suites are across the road in a apartment building and they have a cocktail area. If you don't want the trouble of a vacation rental but still want to be segregated I'd stay there. Though they must be limited on them because I was not able to stay in the one I booked. Overall I was very happy with my hotel. It is good distance to shopping, transit, and nightlife.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank clikypen
Reviewed February 3, 2011

The ads for this hotel make it look like a funky alternative to the chains. Apart from the lobby, however, this is a superficial makeover of the old Dufferin hotel, aka "the Duff". The rooms are tiny. The floors slope precipitously in some spots. A 6" ledge is supposed to be a work area. Grime in the corners and mould on the window ledge in my room. The nicest thing about it was the linens, which were great. But its like putting lipstick on a pig.....

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank OggiesMum
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Hotel is cute, service great, wine bar great but holy hell this was the loudest hotel that we have ever stayed in. I can't even express how awful it was to sleep there. We did not sleep at all. A lot of the other guests seemed to be partying late into the night. On Wed or Thursday night there was such commotion of drunk people fighting in the hallway and girls crying and everytime I peeked my headout the security guard that was addressing the situation would yell at me to get back in our room. I think that went on for over three hours. I would never stay here again which is unfortunate because it's such a cute place, with nice staff and a reasonable price.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
ModaHotel, General Manager at Moda Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2011

Thank you for your feedback from your stay with us. We would like to thank you for choosing Moda Hotel during your stay in Vancouver and very sad to learn that your experience was unfortunate regarding noise. Here at Moda Hotel, everyday, we try to accomplish excellence and listen to our valued guests' comments such as yourself. Currently, our hotel is going through soundproofing modifications in every single room and we are hoping to have this completed by the end of February. We hope that you would give us one more chance to welcome you to Moda Hotel. Should you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at kanat@modahotel.ca or alternatively 604-683-4251 ext#116

Reviewed January 21, 2011

Sure it's not a Corporate Multinational hotel - but that's what makes it awesome!

Very much a european style hotel with modest rooms in a totally renovated older building.
Location can't be better, the café downstairs has excellent coffee.

Unless you're elderly/disabled what's wrong with taking a flight of stairs?
C'mon are we that lazy these days!

Slept great, nice that they use natural laundry products so you dont wake up feeling like you've slept next to a chemical factory. Showers had plenty of water.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank hellolenin
ModaHotel, General Manager at Moda Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2011

Thank you very much for choosing Moda Hotel during your stay in Vancouver and thank you for your kind words. It makes us all feel good when we give memorable experiences to our guests. We are a very unique and funky hotel and we are very happy that you enjoyed the historical, funkiness of our hotel. We all look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed January 19, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here over New Year's weekend. While this was my first time in Vancouver, I can imagine that this hotel would be extremely difficult to find even for those who visit the city every so often, as it's signage is small and it blends in with the other storefronts in the building. When you finally do find it, you can park curbside to check-in. Leave your bags in the lobby or bring them up to your room, as you'll be parking your car in a garage across the street. The garage is gated (entry by room key only) and will cost you ~$14 a night to park there.

The room was not big, but it was clean, had nice decor and provided amenities like wi-fi, an LCD TV (with cable and channels from Seattle, but no HD programming) and the most amazing-smelling bath soaps and shampoos I've ever used. It is NOT the best place to sleep, as the walls are quite thin and you could hear chatter from the hallways as well as traffic noise from the street.

The location of the hotel is a huge plus. There are plenty of places to shop and eat within walking distance.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HotTubMan1

Thank you very much for choosing Moda Hotel while in Vancouver. After listening to our valued guests' reviews regarding noise levels, we are currently under going major soundproofing renovation in our rooms. We hope that you give us an opportunity welcome you back again. If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me directly at kanat@modahotel.ca or 604-683-4251 ext#116.

Reviewed January 15, 2011

We had tickets to see Conan O'Brien at the Orpheum Theatre... this trip was the start of a vacation which would eventually lead us to Arizona... but we stayed a couple nights in Van for the show... The Moda hotel was conveniently located kitty-corner to the theatre. It's a beautifully restored boutique hotel which is smack dab in the middle of everything! We took the City Line skytrain (recommended by the front desk when I booked the room) right from the air-port and it dropped us off @ the Pacific Ctr shopping mall which was a short two block walk to the Hotel. The staff were awesome.. the room was perfect for our stay.. Not gigantic, but clean, and nicely decorated... The location was the best... and there was even a wine bar & sports bar in the building. Didn't get a chance to visit the wine bar, but ate supper @ the sports pub before the show and the food was DELICIOUS! I absolutely would recommend this hotel to anyone passing through the city.. or visiting for a show or a game..(right up the street from GM place)... the price we paid was cheaper than any of the other hotels in the area... We liked it so much we booked family there to attend a concert (xmas present) and we booked ourselves for our next trip passing through the city.. Check the online-rate.. it's cheaper than if you call... :) Thumbs up Moda!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple