“Not great for business travel but great restaurant”
Review of Moda Hotel

Moda Hotel
Ranked #59 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I had had lunch here on a previous trip and it was very good. The location is great and it's an easy walk to just about anywhere, easy to get to on the skytrain from the airport. On a recent trip, I stayed one night on business and wouldn't stay for business again. The wireless internet was up and down, and the room was just OK - a little too red for my liking. I would stay for a personal trip, when I wasn't planning to spend much time in the room but it wasn't the best for spending time in the room between meetings trying to work.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Moda Hotel

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Booking through expedia I got a terrific deal on a deluxe room on the 3rd floor, where I spent four nights. Having not heard of this place before, I would now book again without hesitation. It's centrally located in downtown Van, a couple of blocks from both SkyTrain lines and an easy walk to all downtown neighbourhoods & attractions. There's a full grocer down the block & lots of restaurants close-by. They've got a PC for guest use which is nice for folks like me who travel without a stack of devices. There are two or three restaurants on the main floor, none of which I tried, but each looked pretty good.

Tastefully decorated, most everything was in good shape. I was a bit surprised to see the disconnected window A/C taking up space in the corner, but this was no big deal (and frankly I'm not sure where else they'd store 80-odd units throughout the winter months). The mattress was pleasantly firm, and the bathroom was super-clean and more spacious than I envisioned. While both Seymour & Smithe streets are pretty busy with vehicular traffic, I had no problems sleeping. There are two single-pane windows -so it's not whisper quiet- but I was never bothered with noise from the street.

I'll be staying again the next time I visit the city.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed at the Moda Hotel for just one night October 2, 2013 while in Vancouver for a concert. Because we don't know Vancouver very well, we wanted to be fairly close to the concert venue (Rogers Arena), but not have to pay an arm and a leg. After reading the reviews on the Moda, we were a little unsure of what to expect. But ultimately we were very satisfied. I was concerned after reading a lot of reviews about how noisy it might be. But when we booked our reservation, we requested a quiet room, and had no noise issues.
The room was very small, and had it been for any more than one night, or if we were in the room for anything more than just to sleep, it might be a bit of a challenge. But otherwise I think they've done a good job of updating a very old building and keeping it reasonably priced.
The biggest fault I would have to say is the pedestal sink in the bathroom. While it adds to the modern look of the decor, there is absolutely no counter space to put any bathroom necessities like toiletries, makeup, etc. And no other mirror in the bedroom to use instead.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room when booking and you shouldn't have noise problems.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mickyd_1
Reviewed October 3, 2013

spent 3 nights at the moda hotel and had a room on the 4th floor. It was nice to stay in a hotel that didnt have 100's of rooms. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. Unfortunately we didnt have a fridge and the security box didnt work. However the location was great and in walking distance to all of downtown, yaletown and gas town. We didnt eat at the hotel but spent couple of nights at the bar and the service was very friendly and welcoming. we also went to the sport bar which is part of the moda hotel which is a bit more casual but the pizza was good!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I absolutely loved my stay at the MODA Hotel. We stayed the week of Sept 8-15. My BF and I normally stay at boutique hotels, and this one was one of the best. The Room we stayed at was the VIDA suite 301 (or 201) accross the street from the main building. I personally loved being in a separate building as it was a little more private. The room was wheel chair accessible which I thought was worth mentioning. The bed and pillows were super comfortable which is really important to me.The room & bathroom was very spascious. The shower was separate from the bathroom which was nice. The only thing I can think of that may be a problem with the shower is it is a bit exposed is you are staying there with someone who is not your partner. The wine bar UVA in the main building of the hotel is a wino's paradise, it is hip and modern, and also has excelent food and drinks, it opens in the morning for breakfast and is a happening place at night but not loud (we couldnt hear a thing from our room). We didnt try the restaurant CIBO (it also has rave reviews) you can also order from their menu at the wine bar. The hotel is located right in the heart of downtown. 2 blocks a way from Granville st, A few more blocks away from Georgia st & Robson st. Also a short walk from yaletown & Gastown & major skytrain stations. I have seen worse reviews from rooms in the main (older) building so I would suggest requesting the newer building If you don´t mind being accross the street from the lobby. The room was located in the new building that also has a parking garage which in my opinion is a major plus. The one complaint I had was that our A/C was dripping one night, however they fixed it ASAP so I can hardly be mad about that. Overall, I had an excellent hotel experience and I will definetly stay there again.

Room Tip: Resquest a room in the newer building accross the street.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2013

What is that smell? On top floor and something must be wafting from below. Small room, creepy furnishings. Would not stay here again. Staff is very nice, however. Seems to be centrally located and it was inexpensive but not worth the odor and misleading web photos.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank faverone
Reviewed September 28, 2013

When first walking into the lobby you are greeted with an uncomfortable smell, as if someone left the kitty litter a little too long to change. Our room was small (which is manageable), reeked of cigarettes and the bedding was pilling. After approaching front desk we were quickly switched to a room that was a little more breathable and tolerable. Overall a terrible misrepresentation on the website. A waste of money, will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2013