“Funky Retro vibe in a great downtown location”
Review of The Burrard

The Burrard
Ranked #33 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The price is great. The rooms are clean. The location is awesome, walking distance to most of downtown Vancouver (which is actually a pretty small area). Free wifi and friendly staff. My daughter thought the retro messaging and feel was totally awesome (she's 20). Would definitely stay here again. The tropical garden in the courtyard is a pretty unique touch. You'll have to pay for parking, but you'll have to pay for parking everywhere and most hotels charge more.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sharonincolorado
There are newer reviews for The Burrard

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Was a great place to stay, great location. The rooms, though a bit small were extremely clean and modern. There was a mini fridge, and coffee machine as well as bath accessories. The staff was amazing and so helpful and kind. Thank you for making our time in Vancouver relaxing.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

The Burrard is an excellent Motel, extremely clean and the rooms are very modern. The service is excellent and the staff are superb! We stayed for three night, the location was great for us and we will stay again while we are in Vancouver. Thank you for making our stay relaxing!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ray W
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I found The Burrard on the Tablet Hotels website and when I mentioned it to a local they said "Oh, the Burrard Motor Inn." Yes, The Burrard once a time ago was a motor lodge, but it has been given new life with updated design, whimsical messaging and upgrades worthy of a boutique hotel. The location can't be beat right in the middle of downtown - close to shopping and easily accessible to transportation. For those with cars - like myself - they offer covered, secure garage parking. The rooms are small, but well furnished with plasma tvs, a small desk and supremely comfortable beds, though the pillows were almost too big. They also provided free bottles of water and more importantly free wi-fi.

If I had any complaints (if you can call it a complaint) it was that I couldn't put food purchases from the adjoining cafe on my hotel bill. It's a totally separate business, though connected to the hotel. Go figure, but they make a great latte.

Although I was only staying over a weekend I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the side street and not Burrard - it's probably quieter even though we had a t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mcshan
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This former motor inn has been given a funky, witty remodel - making it a hip place to stay in downtown Vancouver. Close to bars, shopping and tourist sites - as well as the bus up to Whistler! Front desk team were also extremely helpful with great suggestions for getting places and things to see.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel to be away from the street noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We spent 4 nights at the Burrard at the end of January and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.The service was great -- we came in on a rainy afternoon (I think all afternoons in January are rainy there) and once we got our bags settled, we were ready to hit the street but had no umbrellas. Fortunately, the Burrard had a bucketful of them just waiting to be used! YAY!

Our room was very clean and comfortable; it was small, but didn't feel cramped. The bathroom was spotless. My only complaint about the bathroom -- there wasn't any good place to keep your toothbrush and other necessaries. My favorite feature of the room -- the ionizer! Not only did it do it's ionizing thing, it also created white noise that very effectively drowned out the street noise (our room was right on the street), making for a great night's sleep. And speaking of sleep... the bed was a comfortable queen, but the highlight of our sleep time was the really great blankets! They looked like army blankets and were twin sized, but they were soft and lightweight and cotton. Awesome!! We wanted to take them home.

The Burrard's location is good -- easy walking to most downtown attractions, dining and shopping. Free wifi in the room is a BIG plus! I didn't take advantage of the free in-room espresso, but my husband did and was very pleased. They also provide bottled water and encourage guests to refill from the water cooler in the lobby. The weather was wet the whole time we were there so we didn't take advantage of their free bikes or get to enjoy the interior garden/patio area, but I imagine that these amenities are wonderful in the summer.

Some reviewers have complained about the Burrard's mid-century aesthetic, but we found the decor to be modern without being cold and without the kitsch factor. I'd say they did a great job on their recent renovation, creating an attractive and fun atmosphere without going overboard.

I'd definitely recommend the Burrard to anyone looking for an affordable and convenient hotel in downtown Vancouver. Thanks, Burrard, for a great stay!! If we get back to Vancouver, I expect we'll be staying there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tulajane
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have to say that The Burrard is a breath of fresh air. Although I don't travel for business I can appreciate that this would be perfect for short term stays whether business or pleasure. The rooms are spotless. As most people now travel with a laptop and or a smartphone you are well supported with free WiFi, cordless phone with free calling in North America, Shaw cable connected to 42" TV. Add a room safe that is plenty large for anything you might need to put in it.Oh I can't forget the Nespresso machine! Brilliant! How about a small fridge with paper cups,lids and sleeves, real cream, sugar, stir sticks, bottled water. I saw an ironing board and iron. Bathroom had a hair dryer and all the amenities needed. The inner courtyard was very calming and we need these things in todays world. But all this is nothing if you don't have the human touch to pull it altogether. This is where they shine. Service! I was on a stressful trip with my elderly mother for a visit to St. Pauls. Their highly personal service eased my mind.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family