“Decent Value In Vancouver”
Review of The Burrard

The Burrard
Ranked #33 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I really liked this hotel. My room was large, quiet and comfortable. The courtyard was an oasis in a big city. The hotel bicycle was free and it was trouble free. The location was perfect; it's close to everything. The downside was that I had to wait until exactly three o'clock until my room was ready. I found the desk staff somewhat aloof (two grumpy old guys), but housekeeping and the baristas were great. And the kid who got me my bicycle was cheerful and informative. He even sketched out a route through Stanley Park for me and it was spot on. (He should be behind the front desk and put the old guys in the garage!) Overall, I enjoyed my stay and I think it was a decent value. I would stay at The Burrard again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed November 13, 2012

A better description is a motel and not an "inn". There are no amenities here, rooms are outdoor entry motel style. Structurally this place has not changed since I stayed here 20 years ago. The difference is fresh paint in the rooms and "new"er furnishings. The bathroom is the biggest issue - as there is ZERO counter space to put a shaving case or much of anything else. It is sterile with white tiles of a vingatge right out of a 1940 operting room. One very small dimly lit light fixtures provides what must be 30 watts of light....the same poor lighting is in the bedroom as well making reading impossible. With the room so dark it did not feel clean. The bed was comfortable, the pillows to stuffed with material and uncomfortable. The windows needed to be open for ventilation as they fog constantly, particularly when it rains (constantly when I was there). You can hear conversations from an adjoining room. There is construction presently going on behind the building so very noisy in the morning. Front staff (the lot of them) seemed immersed on web-surfing...as they look disinterested when guests come and go. I would not stay here again. Better rooms and experience can be found more central for the same money or a little more.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CanadianBoys
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here instead of Sheraton next door for a conference. Cute central location, quiet modern hotel, small but clean rooms. Free wifi. Water. Calling to Canada and US. Staff always accommodating and ready to give advice on anything. 24 hr great coffee shop downstairs. Definitely worth it for the price!
As a side note- this was probably a motel in its past life but with all of the remodeling you can't tell and I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank DEtraveler83
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed at The Burrard for two nights in early October and very much enjoyed it. Front desk staff was very friendly and attentive. Upon my arrival, there was a mistake with my reservations but it was taken care of immediately.

I enjoyed the room and the amenities. The nespresso machine in the room is a fantastic idea (I used it twice daily). I appreciated the free wifi and the flat screen TV, I ended up hurting my knee and spent more time in my room than I had anticipated.

The hotel has tons of character, the courtyard looked very welcoming unfortunately it was pouring rain and couldn't enjoy it. They had someone playing music on the Saturday night which I found to be quite nice.

The only downside for me was the bathroom. I found the sink to be too small, I couldn't wash my face without splattering water everywhere. My room didn't have a bathtub, only a shower which was disappointing for me. I also had the maid walk into my room without knocking first, although she did apologize. I have had this happen numerous times at other hotels too so I always lock my door with a chain link, but the room I was in did not have one.

I recommend this hotel and would go back!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is my first Tripadvisor review, but I have friends who do this frequently. The Burrard was a very good place to stay. It is 'lean' in the design and accessories, ( I rather expected a bit more of a boutique feeling - it is, in fact, just a cleverly renovated moterlodge), but it does not really 'over sell' itself on the website. The Blenz cafe adjacent to the Lobby is very convenient (open 24/7) with excellent cinnamon buns and coffee. The hotel staff were great but they need to figure out a way to contact guests in the room if the Do Not Disturb sign is on the door. My friends tried to contact me and were told they could only leave a message at the desk and hopefully I would pick it up - there is no message option on the mobile phone in the room. The bathrooms are small (pealing ceiling paint) and there is no vanity, only a very small sink. Otherwise, The Burrard is convenient and worth the money.

Room Tip: Twin bed rooms are a lot bigger than the regular ones. Rooms around the courtyard (off of Burrard S...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 18, 2012

A three night stay, very clean, motel style, different in style to any other hotel but non the worse for that. It has a central courtyard with seating area and palm trees which most of the rooms look out onto.
Our room was at the rear, a front room may have been a bit noisy with the traffic and the ambulances arriving at the hospital which is immediately opposite but we had no issues with it.
The location is spot on for tourists, being downtown and within easy walking distance of the two Canada line stations from the airport, together with all the other tourist attractions.
One of the best points from our point of view was the free cycle hire offered on a first come, first served basis. They were retro style cycles offered with helmets and locks, great for a trip round Stanley park and there are plenty of segregated cycle lanes on the main roads so no conflict with the city traffic.
All the staff were very friendly and helpful.
If we were to return to Vancouver we would certainly stay here again, need I say more.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LOADSAHOLIS
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

The Burrard was a motel from the 1960s and renovated in 2011 to modern standard. I found this on Tablet hotels and trusted their selection, it's clean modern facility with a retro look in downtown. The only issues were that the bathrooms lacked storage for my toiletries and I spotted a water bottle cap and dust in between the cracks next to the bed. overall,I would stay again and loved that they provide passes to a nearby full service gym.

• Stayed: October 2012