“Budget inn for those on a budget”
Review of Patricia Hotel

Patricia Hotel
Ranked #74 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
nowhere
“Budget inn for those on a budget”
Reviewed April 10, 2007

Hi, I've stayed several times in the last few months and will probably stay there again. It's a budget hotel, hard to beat the price ($39 CAD in low season), especially for the single traveler. The hotel is clean but can be shabby -- especially the really budget rooms I'd ask for. The area is rough -- due west on Hastings is a very seedy part of town for drug dealers/prostitutes, etc. I've never had a problem, but I'm a big guy, and I also never walked around there after dark (except to the little Vietnamese cafe across the street). If dodgy areas or street people put you off at all, this is not the place for you. It is easy walking distance to Chinatown (I was there over Lunar New Year last year) or Gastown, & I'd never worry about or think twice about walking in day time. Right on a main bus line that takes you into the central downtown, Gastown if you don't want to walk, or out east to Commercial Drive. Parking fee in the lot next door was nominal, I think $2/day, & I think free on the side streets (tho I'm not sure I'd trust my car on the streets away from the main drag given the population around there). Don't know about car break-ins, first time I asked to make sure my car would be safe & they assured me it would be. I've had my car there 3 times & no problem. I've found the staff to be friendly and informative, & they have take out menus of area restaurants that will deliver. Pub next door brews its own beer on premises & it's pretty good, I would stop back for a beer even if I don't end up staying there again. They have general pub fare that isn't bad, but they stop serving food at 8 pm. All in all, you get what you pay for, and how long do you stay in a hotel room when on vacation, anyway, is my philosophy. AC & TV w/ cable in all the rooms I've been in.

• Liked — Price & on main bus lines
  • Disliked — No real amenities like wifi, internet access, or any frills of other hotels in 3 or 4 start range
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank livin_n_the_city

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Korean first
Ireland
Reviewed November 19, 2006

When I arrived in Vancouver from Ireland I took a cab to the Patricia, the driver told me to 'be careful' in the area around the hotel. On arrival I have to say that the area is an eye-opener, there are a lot of drug addicts and unsavoury characters about so I would aviod walking and take a cab to and from the hotel into the city centre. The hotel itself was budget accommodation that was reasonably clean and quiet. I found the staff were informative and courteous and find that some of the reviews reflect the area moreso than the hotel so I don't think its fair to criticise the staff. If you are on a tight budget and not fussy then it can be 'an experience'. Maybe avoid the bar and parking outside.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Local area causes concern
  • Stayed June 2004, traveled solo
3 Thank Tim_76

Travelers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2006

This hotel is in the worst location in downtown Vancouver. It is the wrong side of Main Street with drugs and homeless people a plenty. The hotel is satisfactory but it is old. The rooms are very small with " bathroom" in one corner.

The only good thing about this hotel is price. I will not stay there again.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flem3547
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 6, 2006

I am a photojournalist who averages 10 to 15 visits yearly to BC to cover sporting events and shoot with BC-based athletes. Because of this, I have a long list of accommodations available to me throughout the province. But this Labour Day weekend, my plans changed suddenly, and I was forced to find a hotel in Vancouver for Saturday night with virtually no notice. None of my usual spots had rooms available. So I started researching possibilities. My usual accommodations, even though they're in lovely neighbourhoods like Kits, and have hot tubs, great breakfasts and safe, comfortable, clean rooms, usually run me $60-$80 nightly. So when other B&Bs and hotels in the core area were quoting $150+ nightly, I started expanding my scope. I checked out the TripAdvisor reviews for the Patricia, and was concerned that many were negative.

But the provincial tourism agency told me that there were "some" homeless people in the area, and while I wouldn't want to hang out in that part of town, that I should be fine.

That was the worst travel advice I have ever received. When I drove from Lion's Gate into Gastown, I expected to find the hotel soon, as it was advertised to be "steps" from Gastown. Not only was it not near Gastown, it was significantly east of Chinatown - in the one area of Vancouver that concerns me, an urban-dwelling journalist who has ventured with minimal worries, late at night, through tough areas of NYC, London, LA and Bangkok. Driving through the area where the Patricia is located requires constant attention to avoid running over crackheads and tweakers who stumble unexpectedly across the street. Regrettably, I did not recognize the neighbourhood from the address. When I pulled into the lot next door to the hotel, I prayed that they had another parking facility, as the parking had been advertised as "secure" with video cameras. Unfortunately, that was not the case. In reality, it was an open lot with sketchy individuals everywhere. As best as I can tell, the only benefit of the cameras would be for the police to review crimes that had already been committed.

There is a huge difference between "homeless" individuals who may or may not be dangerous versus crack and meth addicts who are universally known as likely candidates to be thieves stealing to feed their habits.

Furthermore, when I mentioned my concern about the parking and about the spotty locks on the rooms, the front desk clerk huffed at me that "no one would break into my room." Well, given that he was in the back of the front desk area, out of sight of anyone entering the lobby or going up the elevator, I was not so confident. And I really didn't want to mention that I was concerned because I had $10K of very-portable camera gear with me.

Beyond that, my "non-smoking" room reeked of smoke. Though, in fairness, it seemed clean if a bit ratty.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Wretched neighbourhood
  • Tips/Secrets — A hostel with bunk beds is a better choice
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
9 Thank bikegrrl62
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 21, 2006

The price was okay...under $100/night but for the same price we could of stayed somewhere more centrally located. I don't recommend staying here if you're a single woman traveling alone. The rooms were clean but the neighborhood is not safe at night. There were drug addicts, prostitutes and drunks wandering around. It's close to Chinatown (which is nothing spectacular) but a bit of a walk to everywhere else. Luckily we had rented a car (parking available onsite). We passed the gastown hostel and regretted not staying there instead.

• Disliked — location
  • Tips/Secrets — Do your research before you book
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
7 Thank Ericka98125
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed August 10, 2006

the rooms were okay, and the hotel was nice and clean, but the neighborhood is one of the worst i've seen, and i've been all over seattle, southern california and new york city. People shooting up on the streets, public urination in broad daylight, a horrible neighborhood that no tourist should stay in. My car was broken into on the one and only night I was there, nothing was stolen and the damage was minor but it was still frustruating. If you stay here make sure you have an alarm system on your car or park somewhere more secure, the lot has cameras/patrols but that didn't help me. Only stay here if you can't afford anywhere else and you aren't using your own transportation, i'd advise taking taxi's to downtown proper, especially at night

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — safety
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank generalgeneral
San Jose
Reviewed July 31, 2006

I had read all the reviews so I was well prepared. I didnt have much expectations to begin with so I was quite happy to see clean room and sheets :) BUT EVERYTHING THAT IS BEING SAID ABOUT NEIGHBORHOOD IS TRUE. The people at the front desk were all nice and helpfull. But here is what really killed me. I was there for 2 nights. On the second day I got a call early in the morning from Vancouver PD. I ran downstairs and found that someone had broken into my car. Since I already knew it was a shady neighborhood, I had taken the precaution of keeping it virtually empty. So nothing was gone but I had a broken glass. The officer said its a very common occurence on that street and in that parking lot. Apparently Canada does not have a similar law that we have here in US, where you get locked up for a certain period of time if you are caught thrice. Here is what really ticked me off. I made sure that I had parked RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA. But that didnt help!
I had to spend close to $400 to get the car fixed. I have no complaints about the actual hotel, but better be willing to take chances with your car!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business