“Stay here if you don't mind deros as your neighbours”
Review of Patricia Hotel

Patricia Hotel
Ranked #73 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Wellington, New Zealand
“Stay here if you don't mind deros as your neighbours”
Reviewed June 7, 2006

It's amazing how where you stay, can really affect your impression of a city. We made the mistake of booking this place online. It seemed fairly central to the city and was reletively cheap. Little did we know that it was in one of the scungiest areas in Vancouver. This area (East Hastings Street) appeared to be the main hangout for, druggies, homeless people and people with mental problems. Not only that most of them seemed to catch the bus with us! For some reason, all you needed to say to get a free ride on the bus was "I' just need to pick up my social security cheque" oh.. and not washing for a few months would help and muttering to yourself a lot.

It was a pretty unpleasant experience and you definately did not want to walk around at night in the dark. I was even more worried when I bus driver I was talking to said we'd be fine as long as we carried Mace with us .. and he wasn't kidding.

In terms of the hotel itself. The rooms were small and a little smoky smelling (even though it was meant to be non- smoking) - what you'd expect from a budget hotel. The rooms were clean and were cleaned daily. I didn't see any cockroaches or vermin in the room which I guess is a bonus!

The staff were really nice, friendly and helpful. We had a lovely view of a vacant lot from our window where we got a really good view of all the crack dealers supplying their clients (okay maybe that was just my imagination but there were people loitering a lot there), in addition to the lovely aroma of pot in the lift one day.

Before I went to Vancouver, I was told it was a fantastic place but I have to say after staying at the Patricia Inn I didn't have the fabulous experience of Vancouver I thought I would. Unless you're into experiencing some of the more 'colourful' locals and the seedier side of Vancouver then stay away from this place like the plague!

• Stayed April 2006
18 Thank KiwiTravelers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 8, 2006

As a BUDGET hotel, this place is great. The concierges were all very friendly and helpful, the room was clean, and the TV worked fine. When I checked out, the front office person even offered to call a cab for me to go to the airport.

I would caution about the neighborhood, however. As I had read several reviews before coming here, I was well prepared for what I saw. But I just didn't feel safe in the immediate area, although I was NEVER accosted by anyone. (The nearby China town, however, felt very safe.) It's a great place to stay on a budget, but you should allow money for use of taxi services if you intend to stay out after dark.

Obviously, as a business, the Patricia must put its best face forward, and shouldn't be expected to shoot itself in the foot by accentuating the negative aspects of the neighborhood. Still, I recommend that the hotel in its website be a little more candid about the condition of its surroundings, if only in the form of saying something like "the neighborhood does face some challenges and some visitors are uncomfortable about the surroundings; nevertheless, the Patricia offers easy access to cab service and the Hastings bus line, as well as the popular Chinatown district." That sort of disclosure could go a long way toward avoiding the ill-will expressed in the other reviews.

• Stayed April 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 16, 2005

First of all, to everyone complaining that the rooms are small and dirty and old and that it's not in a great neighbourhood, what do you really expect for under $100 a night in downtown Vancouver? I personally did not find this to be the case at all actually, and the hotel definitely exceeded my expectations: the rooms were a lot cleaner and better kept up than I would have expected of a hotel like this. The front desk staff are friendly and helpful, Pat's Pub offers an average complimentary breakfast, and as for the neighbourhood, it may be a sad sight to see at times but I personally found nothing unsafe about it from my own experiences. I walked through there at all hours of the night and day on my own and never experienced any problems. A satisfactory stay for me and my lady overall.

• Stayed August 2005