“Cheap and cheerful”
Review of Patricia Hotel

Patricia Hotel
Ranked #75 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Family owned small hotel slowly being renovated to retain the character of the era it was built. My 5th floor double room with ensuite was clean and spacious with a view of the city and harbour and the bed was comfy. The reception staff are friendly and helpful. A bar with counter meals is on the ground floor and is a good place to chat to locals. A short walk to Chinatown provides other dining options and convenience stores, and the bus route is one block away. Gastown, with its restaurants and bars, is also within walking distance. Don’t let the rough, rundown look of the area put you off. I was there mid week and found it to be fairly quiet.

Room Tip: higher floors on the city side of the building have a view of the harbour
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed July 18, 2012

The hotel itself is fine, the rooms are clean, but very very small!
East Hastings street is the city area of soup kitchens, homeless shelters, etc.. Unfortunately, there are many people who suffer from mental illnesses and have no medical care... A sad sight to see.
We planned to stay at the hotel for two nights, but at the very first minute we decided not to sleep there another night, so we have canceled the order and the hotel staff helped us quickly and efficiently, and with a smile of understanding...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ella B
Daryl N, General Manager at Patricia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Hello Ella B,

Thank you for your comments. We are happy to hear that you found your room to be clean as our housekeeping staff is very dedicated bunch. Judging from your comment that your room was ‘very very small’ I suspect you reserved one of our Budget Rooms. I certainly agree, they are small, but they do offer travelers on a budget an excellent alternative to hostel-style accommodation, where in our case they get a small, private room rather than a dorm. Our larger rooms (Standard and above) seem to appeal to a broader group of travelers as they are more spacious. Although we are sorry to hear that you chose to check out early on account of the neighbourhood, we are happy to hear that the desk staff was able to assist you and make your move easy for you.

Thanks again!

Reviewed July 13, 2012

I stayed at the Patricia Hotel for 14 days in June, knowing it was in a bad area of town, I was a little apprehensive. I must admit I was pleasantly surprised by what I experienced. A great front desk staff that greeted everyone with a smile and also extremely informative, a brew pub staff that were lots of fun, not to mention the value in the pub,which is hard to find in Vancouver. The rooms are clean and updated , the beds comfortable some with excellent views. The young lady in charge, Lindsay is a breath of fresh air,very helpful and incredibly knowledgable.thank you all for making my stay so enjoyable! Would I stay at the Patricia again? Absolutely!!!! Glen from Cabo.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Agree with previous reviews; druggie/homeless neighborhood, but no sense of being truly unsafe. Prior recommendations re walking to hotel on streets other than Hastings probably wise, as they seem less crowded with the down-and-outs. As noted, hotel has minimal, but entirely adequate, amenities, price is very good, and the hotel was clean. Staff very helpful. Very nice basement pub; one forgets that s/he is in "this type" of neighborhood. However, it is not a true brewpub: they just brew one basic beer. But it also has a decent beer selection from other brewers, and our food was good as well. Previous reviews noted noise; probably dependent on location (higher, off street better) and weather (need window open?). One last comment: the hotel is quite a walk from downtown/gastown: doable, but to/from and then walking around those areas makes for a pretty good hike.

Room Tip: As noted, try to get up as high as possible, and as far away from main street (Hastings) as possible...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Malcolm B
Reviewed July 6, 2012

The hotel is in a dodgy neighbourhood with a lot of homeless people. We did not feel unsafe though. Some of them ask for change but that is all they do.
It is close to downtown and even closer to gastown and chinatown (go there for your evening meal).
The hotel is old but clean and has very friendly staff.
Parking is only 5 dollars a day right next to the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank astrids77

Dear Astrids,

Thank you for highlighting our proximity to historic Gastown and Chinatown as these are definitely areas in which many Vancouver visitors spend quite a bit of time. Also we’d like to thank you for acknowledging our staff both with respect to the cleanliness of the building and to their overall personality. All of our team members work diligently to improve our guest’s experiences so it is always nice when they receive positive feedback like yours.

Thank you again.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

basic budget hotel but the best price for a hotel in downtown Vancouver, the drug environment may be a put off for many people but that's not dangerous at all, it's just a very sad vision... the staff was very helpful and nice.
the room was very clean, except for my second stay when I discovered some woman's hair on the bed linen, not very encouraging to sleep in the bed! besides a chair in a room would be nice! the wi-fi doesn't work everywhere in the hotel, only in floor 2 and 4, being in the floor 5, I had to sit on the emergency staircase to get a slow wi-fi connection... apart from that, I guess I would go to that hotel again. The price was unbeatable for a hotel in downtown Vancouver!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jeffsteed

Dear jeffsteed,

Thank you for your comments as they are helping us to improve.

We apologize for the issue with your linen on your second stay with us. All of our linens are laundered off-site by a third party, but we do ask that our housekeeping staff examine all items before they are used to make up a room. Unfortunately in your case, it appears as though one of our checks was not thorough enough and we will definitely be working to improve upon this as we move forward.

With regards to the internet, although our connection points are labeled for users based on their location – Lobby, 2nd and 4th floors – they are evenly spaced throughout the building to accommodate access by all guests. However, we are currently seeking out ways to boost our signal on all floors and increase access points. Likewise we are currently addressing the amount of movie downloads that are taking place when guests return to the hotel in the evening, which we have found to be significantly slowing our system for all users. We fully expect that we will have these issues resolved by the time you stay with us next!

Thank you!

Reviewed June 30, 2012

I stayed here for 10 nights AND would stay here again.

I thoroughly read other reviews before booking my stay at Patricia Hotel, and from reading the good and the not so good reviews. I was sceptical, but I decided I would stay here simply down to the fact of the close proximity to Downtown and the price per night in comparison to some of the rocket prices of other hotels Downtown.

Here are my honest thoughts and opinions:
As you have probably read from other reviews, the hotel is close to Downtown but not in the best part of town.

When I first arrived near the Downtown Eastside area I was shocked to see so many homeless/drug addicts on the street (even though reading the reviews I was expecting it) and yes it was intimidating. I was quite nervous walking down the street towards the hotel with both of my suitcases, thinking woah this is pretty bad.
I checked in and was really happy with my room, all perfectly clean, sanitized label on the toilet, I really had no issues with the room or the hotel what so ever.

Nourdin (Hotel Manager) told me about Vancouver, things I should go and see, and told me about the area. He made me feel more comfortable about the homeless people surrounding the area yet I still kept up my "guard" as I ventured out.

After a few times venturing out, I noticed that these people are pretty harmless, they are just in their own world, doing their own thing and really don't bother you.

I am a 26 year old male 5'8" weighing around 130lbs; basically I'm not the biggest guy, so if anyone in the area really wanted to rob someone I would probably look like an easy target, but I walked down the street at all times of day and even late at night around 12am with no problems.

The only one time while waiting for the bus a guy asked if I wanted to buy some weed (I just ignored him) and on he went. This wasn't even near the hotel, it was closer to Seymour Street and West Hastings Street.
I have been offered drugs in the same way in the good parts of the City of London and even when I was in Downtown Toronto.
A lot of people have written something about being offered drugs on their reviews, really it happens where ever you go not just here, so its not a big deal at all.

Overall, I would say the area can be put a downer on the way you feel sometimes, but on the bus within 5-10 mins (though the homeless people who some how also get to use the buses smell pretty bad) you are outside of the Eastside area and in the mainstream area of Downtown Vancouver.

This is a great hotel, great value, clean, very friendly and genuine staff who take pride in making the hotel a very pleasant place to stay.

I met a few people in Vancouver who stayed in hostels Downtown and complained that their rooms smelt of urine, were unclean and had bed bug bite marks. This really made me realize that I definitely made the right choice staying at the Patricia Hotel.

If you are looking for a cheap hotel in Downtown, which is very well maintained, clean and friendly then this is the place to stay!

Thank you for a pleasant stay.

Amit P

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank ap3791

Dear Amit,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property as travelers really depend on the kind of detailed information you have provided when planning their own trips.

Your comments about not being bothered by our neighbours are really helpful for other travelers. For example, being asked to purchase drugs while waiting for the bus closer to the centre of downtown is essentially the scenario that we have heard about and witnessed or experienced ourselves. For the most part, people in our neighbourhood are working class or in some cases homeless, meaning they don’t have money to spend on these types of things. As such, contrary to what happens in more affluent areas of downtown, guests of the hotel for the most part, are not approached for money or to purchase anything.

I am really happy to hear that your overall impressions of our hotel in terms of cleanliness and staff are positive as we work very diligently to achieve this result. It’s our philosophy that the cost of a hotel room shouldn’t prevent you from seeing our amazing city and not wanting to spend a lot on accommodation shouldn’t impact the service that you receive during your trip!

Thank you again Amit. We hope to see you again one day!