“Great Stay!!”

Blue Horizon Hotel
Ranked #22 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Wonderful location in beautiful Vancouver! Near lots of interesting restaurants and a few blocks from the harbor

The on site restaurant was exceptionally good. We arrived in the early evening after a long delayed flight so it was perfect to be able to enjoy some good food, beautifully presented with a good glass of wine and a super friendly staff.

Many of the rooms are corner ones with expansive windows. Our room on the 26th floor had a fabulous view of the city and the picturesque harbor looking out two sides. Lots of ships and twinkling city lights as the sun went down.

Comfy bed with good linens. Yes, the bathroom is a bit on the small side but it has wonderful towels and the view and comfy bed more than make up for it! Would definitely stay here again!!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Blue Horizon Hotel

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I have had a less than perfect experience with this hotel many years ago but because of availability and frankly, the price being very reasonable, i decided to give it a shot again. I booked myself and 4 other people into this place. We all LOVED this hotel. The rooms are pretty new looking, beds are wonderful, and it is the friendliest staff i have experienced. The doorman would see me coming down the street and literally jumped up to open it for me every time. Check-in and restaurant was at the same level of service.
Clean Clean Clean and it had a very boutique vibe about it.
Highly recommend!

Room Tip: This hotel is very tall and the balconies were not comfortable for me because i am afraid of heights...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

Our favorite hotel when we're in Vancouver. Good service, lots of parking. Views of English Bay and the north shore mountains and located right in the middle of Robson Street shopping. Within walking distance of Stanley Park too.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

I booked through booking dot com and got the room for 143 a night excluding tax. We were arriving early so I requested an early check-in at 12 noon. When we got there at noon, our room was ready and they upgraded us to the 28th floor. Happy dance! The location is great, lots of shopping on Robson and surrounding areas.

The rooms are so roomy (5*) but the bathroom is small (3*) and dated compared to the room. I think someone else reviewed the hotel as 5 star rooms with 3 star amenities. That's a pretty accurate description. Beds are big and comfy with down pillows and comforters (5*). The Keurig coffee maker is a nice touch but the coffee that I made from it tasted off (3*). I think the machine was new so it had that weird chemically taste. It wasn't a big deal though since I could get coffee at any number of nearby places. I also bought Japanese ice coffees from Konbiniya across the street.

They don't supply individual toiletries like shampoos and conditioners for "green" reasons but they do offer it if you really want it. I didn't mind that either since I bring my own anyway. They do have a liquid soap dispenser in the shower that you can use for shampoo or shower gel (3*). They provide bath robes for use (5*) but no slippers (3*). They do have a pool, sauna, and exercise equipment but everything is minimal and in one small area (3*). The exercise equipment is 1 stationary bike, 1 elliptical, and 1 stepper.

I read other reviews of it being noisy but I didn't hear anything but the kids above us stomping around every once in a while. The views were spectacular (5*). I'm not sure exactly what Matthew's title at the hotel is like is he a bellman or like a concierge but he's a very helpful young man in the blue polo shirt. He's a little over eager but sweet. We missed him when he wasn't around : )

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I chose this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews and price. I went to Vancouver for a two-day trip to see the city for the first time. Since I was traveling alone to a new city, I wanted a hotel where I felt safe with some extra amenities (like free Wi-Fi and a helpful front desk). I arrived by train and took the Sky Train from the train station to the hotel. From the stop that's on the train station line, it was about a 10-15 minute, easy walk through a vibrant downtown shopping/business area.

I was pleasantly surprised when I checked in and my room was ready. At first, I was disappointed that the room was only on the fourth floor and I wouldn't get cool views, but when I stepped into the hotel room, my disappointment melted away. My room was enormous, with a comfortable sitting chair, two queen-sized beds with crisp and clean sheets, a Keurig machine and a hot water kettle, a large closet with a large (free) safe, and an adequate bathroom (clean and plenty big for just me, but if I was traveling with others I would have wanted a larger bathroom). The room even had a large balcony that overlooked a parking lot and a bit of the street. The balcony could use some furniture, though! I dragged the desk chair out to balcony to enjoy the sunshine one afternoon. The flat screen TV in my room was on a pivot so I could watch it from the comfy chair or bed. As an American, I really enjoyed watching the CBC news, but I also was able to catch Jeopardy, which I was happy about. (Clearly, I'm a party animal.)

The hotel which is a pickup location for the free shuttle to Capilano Suspension Bridge (an expensive, but worthwhile tourist attraction I'll review separately). The ease of the free shuttle was great and made my first day in Vancouver a breeze.

As a woman traveling alone, I was very satisfied with the location of the hotel. When I came back in the evening or wanted to walk around and look for dinner or go shopping in the neighborhood, I felt very safe. There were many friendly stores open relatively late and a lot of good/close/affordable restaurant options. The Earls chain is a sports bar a block away with satisfying eats and good brews and Guu is a crazy Japanese restaurant around the corner that was a total treat. I also had some great sushi at a place across the street, but I can't remember what that place was called. The folks at the front desk pointed me to that restaurant, though, so they can probably help you out.

My second day in Vancouver started at the Spokes bike rental shop, about a 10 minute walk from the Blue Horizon. Although Spokes was slightly more expensive than other bike shops in the area, Blue Horizon guests got $1 off per hour, making the rental closer to its competitors and I was really pleased with the service and the condition of the bike I rented. Absolutely take some time to bike around Stanley Park. It's breathtaking! There are a lot of well-signed bike paths in the city, which makes it easy to navigate even if you're not familiar with Vancouver at all.

I'll review the other fun stuff I did in Vancouver elsewhere on this site, but the Blue Horizon is well-located for most of your tourist visits and shopping in the city. The people at the front desk are kind and helpful and the WiFi is strong. Make sure to check out the fun photos in the elevators!! I hope to visit Vancouver again in the future. I just feel bad because I forgot to tip the maids. I'm so sorry!

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up, but be warned, you might have to pay more. My room was 403 and was enormou...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank EmGusk
Reviewed May 13, 2014

The hotel is newly refurbished and therefore, the decoration is brand new - Comfy bed and clean carpet. Bathroom a bit cramped compared with the room size.

The highlight is the gorgeous view from the balcony - i can see English bay as my room faces the west.

Located on Robson Street, it is 10-15 mins to Stanley park, 5 mins to Coal Harbour and 10 mins to metro station.

Overall service is helpful, and room service cleaning has room to be improved.

Room Tip: Higher floor
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 13, 2014

The Blue Horizon Hotel is definitely my favorite place to stay in downtown Vancouver. Its almost shocking what great value you receive for the relatively modest price of this hotel. We stayed there in May of 2014 and paid about $170 per night, inclusive of all taxes.

First, the room quality is excellent. Simple, yet roomy. It came with all the standard features a "normal" traveler would want - comfortable king size bed, large screen HD TV, refrigerator and coffee machine, etc. The bathroom was simple yet very clean. The carpet and bedding all seemed fresh and clean, with no "hotel smell". Complimentary wifi that seemed very strong. A big plus was the inclusion of an open air balcony with a great view of downtown Vancouver.

Second, the location was also excellent. This hotel is right on Robson street and a stone's throw from many restaurants, and a short walk from most of the downtown sights. They also offer parking on location which was only $17 a night (compare that with downtown hotels in the US that might charge around $40 or so for parking).

The staff were all very pleasant, and seemed to be mainly younger staff (perhaps trainees?) who were all helpful and patient, despite the fact that this place is very busy.

The only thing I could add as a suggestion that might make this a better experience would be the inclusion of a free breakfast at the attached restaurant in the lobby.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple