“So glad I chose Blue Horizon!”
Review of Blue Horizon Hotel

Blue Horizon Hotel
Ranked #21 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 8, 2008

I chose the Blue Horizon for a 2-night stay in June based on reviews from tripadvisor. We were on a 2-week road trip around the Pacific NW and were trying to keep a decent budget, and this hotel looked like the best value. I'm so glad I stayed here!

The hotel was centrally located and within walking distance to Stanley Park, lots of shopping on Robson Street, great restaurants, etc. We were even able to walk to the SeaBus terminal which took us over to the bus station up to Grouse Mountain. Basically we could do all our sightseeing conveniently from the hotel location.

The room was also great - nothing fancy, but the bed was comfy and the room was clean, which are my two must-haves. They also have balconies in every room with spectacular views!! We were on the 28th floor and it was just awesome. If you are going to be out and about and just need a clean, comfy place to sleep without too many extras, this is the hotel for you!

One thing to know is that the parking lot for the hotel is also a public lot and they told us not to leave ANYTHING in our car. They had security, but apparently this is a huge problem in all of Vancouver. Being on a 2-week road trip that also involved camping, we had a full car. We took our valuables up to the room and covered the rest with a blanket and all was fine.

2  Thank angiebombshell

Reviewed July 8, 2008

The hotel is in the affordable range and is an ideal location,rooms are spacious and all have a corner position giving good views at whichever floor. Attached restaraunt is very good although this is overtaken by the fact there are so many restaraunts close by. All shopping is again in walking distance.

1  Thank ColinK1970
Reviewed July 7, 2008

The Blue Horizon was recommended to me by a friend of mine who used to live in Vancouver, and it was a worthy recommendation.

We arrived and were met my pleasant and helpful staff, who gave us lots of information about Vancouver before leaving us to look around. We were extremely impressed with the room...although it was a little dated, it was certainly better than most, and was clean and extremely spacious. The bathroom was spotless.

We had paid for a better quality of room, and I had asked for the room to be as close to the top as possible. The Blue Horizon were only to happy to meet my requests. That meant that my Wife and I were given one of the best city-views I have ever experienced. It was an absolute pleasure to overlook downtown Vancouver early in the morning or late at night.

My Wife and I enjoyed the breakfast outside the hotel on various occasions. I wouldn't claim it's the best food I've ever eaten, but the different styles of Eggs Benedict were all extremely well cooked, tasty and good value. We had a very pleasant outside meal for an evening also...during the meal, I literally paid a tramp to dance for us, who was also good value.

Overall, this hotel was a great experience and I wouldn't hesitate in going back.

• Stayed: August 2004, traveled on business
1  Thank russellcoombes
Reviewed July 2, 2008

We have just returned from a tour of Canada and this was our first stop for 3 nights and it was a great start to our trip.

I did a great deal of research planning the trip and I was so pleased with this choice of hotel. The location is fantastic, right on Robson Street in the heart of the main shops and restaurants. We didn't pay for one of the higher rooms so we were on the 6th floor, this does mean you don't get the amazing views but the room was still great. We had a balcony and huge windows which made the large room really airy and bright. Although we weren’t that high you could still see the mountains and the park from the window. The room had the biggest bed I think I have ever slept in and the comfiest pillows possible.

This really is a great hotel for the money, when I was researching the area Vancouver seemed generally really pricey, this hotel is definitely worth the price you pay and you won't be disappointed.

Please feel free to ask me any questions about this hotel or Vancouver.

1  Thank Ktedwards
Reviewed June 24, 2008

A rather disappointing hotel considering the weather which was not conducive to outside dining..... advertised a pool and disco, restaurant and that it was central.... it was, all true but there was nowhere to sit and relax inside, particularly around reception on a cold rainy evening. Staff bright and pleasant. Spacious, bright room with fridge. tv and the possibility to cater for ourselves but overall general hotel was rather dowdy with small corridors that had no air and smelled of fire. Rooms also need upgrading since rather tired. Great if you just want to sleep after long flight and also very near good restaurants with the buzz of a shopping district. Very good access to trolly 'tourist trams'. Outside pick up the tour which will take you easily to all cultural sights and main districts in central Vancouver for 2 days. The 'hop on and hop off' system is excellent. E-mail ticket was accepted and there were fun commentaries. Altogether a good place to start the adventure of discovering Vancouver but I think there are better places around if you have abit more cash.

Stayed: June 2008
7  Thank frenchbosh
Reviewed June 24, 2008

We stayed in vancouver as the first 3 nights of our honeymoon. I rang the Blue Horizon and booked the hotel off the strength of the tripadvisor reviews. We were not disappointed.

We stayed on the 2nd to top floor, the views (particulary sun set) were amazing. The room decor was a little dated, but the room was big, clean and everything you would expect from the good rating on tripadvisor. We ate breakfast in the restaurant every morning, which had a good choice. We also had dinner one night (something quick), which was ok. There are so many nice cafes/ restaurants close to the hotel on Robson street.

We would definitely recommend this hotel to friends & family, and we would also stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jane_1979
Reviewed June 24, 2008

We spent months reading reviews of Vancouver Hotels before deciding on the Blue Horizon. After visiting Vancouver, and seeing all the other hotels, I don't think we could have picked a better hotel / value / location for $180 per night. Not bad for the second most expensive city in the world. The NW views are spectacular on the 25th floor down to the 15th. The room was spacious and comfortable. The beds were very comfortable (my wife slept 10 hours after the long flight). Coffee was provided, although there were Starbucks on every block. This city is heavily caffeinated! Oh, the staff was great too in the hotel and restaurant. This hotel serves the cruise lines and this was apparent with the large lobby crowds on the weekend but we had no problem checking in our out for our cruise on Sunday. The t.v. choices were very good too.

CONS: the pool / exercise area needs major renovating. There is major slime buildup around the pool, rusting along the walls, and residential grade equipment in disrepair facing a depressing wall. Needless to say, I went for a dip in the pool/hot tub/and sauna and I felt fine. The bathub in the room is a little outdated (no big deal). The handle on the door leading to the balcony was duct taped (but I didn't need it that high up). The restaurant was nice but way overpriced (as is Vancouver). We ordered Bruschetta for $9 (turned out to be two small pieces of cheese bread). One of the male waiters was a bit rude too. My wife couldn't make up her mind right away and the male waiter snatched the menu from the table before she decided. He said they needed them for other customers and we would have to share. The next time we ate there, I got up to the go to the bathroom and came back to find he had taken my menu before I ordered so we got up and ate somewhere else. The rest of the wait staff was awesome and took time to tell us about Vancouver.

One more CON: traffic noise. Even 25 feet up you can hear it. Unfortunately we had to close all the doors and windows to sleep (this is an all night city / it doesn't get dark until midnight). We ran the A/C all night to filter the sound and it worked. Too bad there was no fan setting.

1  Thank obamarocks