“recommended highly”

Blue Horizon Hotel
Ranked #21 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 27, 2013

this was recommended to us strongly by the girl at the tourist information desk. i was skeptical, i wanted a spa hotel. boyfriend went for price. this time, he was right. oh golly. the view alone was worth forgoing the massages and the pedicure. it was clean, it was HUGE! it was beautiful, and we could see cars, but that far up we could not hear cars. we could see mountains, and we could see boats in the harbour. it was worth every penny, and it was an experience we still talk about. thank you for such a nice stay.

Room Tip: the higher the better!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I visit Vancouver about 3-5 times annually, and only stay at the Blue Horizon. My original reason for choosing "The Blue" was that it is located in my old neighborhood, and that it is centrally located to anywhere you want to go in the West End. Over the years, I've appreciated more and more that I can walk to Gastown, Stanley Park, and English Bay and great shopping in a relatively short time. You are right on Robson Street, and there are bus stops for both city transit and a hop-on, hop-off sight-seeing trolley right outside the door. There is an extra charge for parking, just remember to get a pass; I've never had any problems. Entry to the hotel from the parking area is awkward with your luggage, but that is really the only negative I've can find to say about the place.

The staff has always been extremely courteous and helpful. I travel as a single female and have always felt totally safe both in the hotel and the surrounding area.

There are no end of eateries to choose from along Robson, and if you insist on your early morning latte; there is a Blenz (Canadian coffee chain) just left of the hotel entrance on the corner, and a Starbucks within half a block and around the corner in the other direction. It's nice that every room has a fridge and coffee pot if you want to buy some supplies to have on hand eithout having to run out to forage for food first thing in the morning.

Every room is a corner suite with balcony. I prefer a lot of natural light, so I always ask for a room along the front, preferably rooms ending with 3-7. Of course the higher the floor, the better the view. Rooms on the back seem smaller and darker, but maybe that's just me. You do get some partial mountain views from the back rooms tho. Rooms have always been clean and comfortable. Bathrooms are maybe a little small, but functional. There's a big counter/mirror, and seriously, I'm not there to spend the weekend in the bathroom.

Oh, and then there's the price; try getting another hotel with this location for these rates! You're not going to get a decent room at another hotel on Robson for these prices. Sure, you can pay more and go 5-star all the way, but I'm in Vancouver to see Vancouver, not stay in my room. For a lot less money, I still get a very nice and clean room, VIEW, and great service. I don't feel like I'm sacrificing any comforts in any way.

The Blue will remain my Vancouver home away from home.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views. Rooms ending in 6, 7 will give great English Bay views. Ending in 3...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Valerie S
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed here last year for a few days before heading off on a cruise. Absolutely fantastic location right on Robson St, plenty of choice for restaurants, 10 min walk to Canada Place and right in the middle of everything. This was our fisrt visit to vancouver and this hotel made it special, panoramic views from 35th floor and only 4 room per floor so every room has views. Highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: pay a little more for a deluxe and you go above the ninth floor for the best rooms
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BrianShaz
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed twice within a week and each time excellent room with superb views. Staff helpful and friendly. Hotel undergoing renovations until April, but this did not adversely affect . Restaurant closed, but can use Shenanigins pub nearby.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2013

For our first visit to Vancouver, we wanted the best deal possible. After researching many hotels, we ended up at Blue Horizon and loved it! The location is prime: right in the center of Robson Street and walking distance to most everything else. The rooms are clean and every room has its own balcony! We had a view of the mountains AND the sea. The staff is excellent too.

Room Tip: Queen rooms are on the corner of the building and have great views - give up the king bed!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great potential, but the lobby was under construction, which lessened our experience. The staff was competent, friendly, and helpful. The rooms, which have balconies, were clean and pleasant. The bathroom was a little dated. Loved the spectacular views.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 13, 2013

It is a good location if you dont mind a basic hotel and want to be on Robson Street. I moved here after needing to stay an extra night in Vancouver and the hotel I was staying in not able to accommodate me. Chose it from the internet due to location and write up. On arrival was given no help with my luggage - it was a struggle to get through the front doors. After checking in the man sweeping the lobby very kindly offered to help me to the lift. On arrival at the room it was very tired and in need of updating, it also smelt fusty, the sheets were not very nice, the cups were dirty and there was no hairdryer that worked. The internet was so slow I gave up in the end. I mentioned everything to the front desk staff on check out and then struggled through the doors to hail a cab of the street! Not a hotel I would go back to.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo