“Great location and loves dogs”

Best Western Plus Sands
Ranked #43 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed July 2, 2014

This hotel is very well priced. It accepts dogs, for a small fee, which is great. Location is fantastic. You can walk over to the beach and to any number of restaurants. Rooms are very nice - clean, well laid out. Very good value.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Hello

Thank You for taking the time to review our property. It is true we do love dogs here and we are very happy to allow you to be able to travel with your 4 legged friend. I am glad you found the location to have everything you needed and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Vancouver.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,512)

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Hotel is right in the middle of everything......walking, biking, beach, restaurants....on and on it goes! Attached restaurant and lounge were reasonably-priced and the food was great, as was the staff. The lounge was situated right on the corner of Denman and Davies, so we had a 180 view of English Bay. The rooms were nice and nicely updated considering the hotel is 60+ years old. Staff were very friendly and check-in and out were handled efficiently.
Would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Ask for water view
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Hello

Thank You for the very flattering review. I am very pleased you loved our Bayside Lounge with its magnificent view of English Bay. I look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Vancouver.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

WE flew from Sydney to Vancouver arriving at 8 am and didn't even think about the fact that we may not be able to check in till 3pm (silly silly silly). We didn't even have to ask for early check, the staff took one look at our sorry selves and organised an early check in. Life savers !
Hotel in good walking distance to Stanley Park, rooms clean and comfy, restaurant attached had great atmosphere. Wished we stayed here longer :-)

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2014

Hello

Thank You for the fantastic review. I am very pleased the front desk were able to help get you room as a soon as possible after a long flight. I am glad you were to take advantage of Stanley Park and on site restaurants. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Vancouver.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

I spent June 7-11 in room 210 which was located just far enough from the elevators to be quiet without being a long walk. Earlier reviews had stated that even numbered rooms had a good view and they were dead on. The the right side of the bay window revealed a magnificent look at English Bay. This was as good a view I've had from a hotel room.

Now for the room itself:

The room style air conditioner was adequate and not too noisy but still sub-optimal in 2014.

The bathroom was a little dated and very snug. Having the door agaist your knee while sitting on the toilet is a claustrophic nightmare.

There was no fan to ventilate the bath during a shower and you had to close the door most of the way just to get into the shower.
The toiletries were nice and generously included swabs.

The toilet paper was cheap and thin. Does anyone really opt for that combination on purpose?

I booked on Priceline for $100/ night and $125/ night after taxes. Considering how hideously expensive Vancouver is that price made up for a multitude of sins against my wallet.

Room Tip: Ask for an even numbered room for a wonderful view. Tim Horton's is right across the street offe...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank a410traveler

Hello

Thank You for taking the time to review our property. I am glad you enjoyed your location and your room with a partial view of English Bay. I do apologize for any inconveniences you experienced at the hotel. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Vancouver.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

Wonderful hotel close to many attractions, walk to Stanley Park. One Block to the Hop-on-Hop-Off Trolley. Great restaurants walking distance from the hotel. Reasonable breakfast and great bar off the lobby.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello

I am glad you had a wonderful stay at our hotel. Our 5.99 breakfast is very popular with hotel guest and locals in the westend. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Vancouver.

Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights and had a room on the top floor with a balcony overlooking the street but had a small sea view. So close to Stanley Park and many eateries within walking distance. The hotel is a little dated, the walls are a bit thin so you could hear neighbors TV & shower but certainly it had everything we needed. Appreciated the free wifi. The shower didn't get very hot nor was the pressure great. Staff very helpful. A pleasant stay.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2014

Hello

Thank You for taking time to review our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed the balcony room with a partial view from one of our balcony rooms. Unfortunately the hotel is an older property but we are continuously making efforts to upgrade the rooms. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Vancouver.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

my family (my wife, a 2 and 4 year old) arrived in the evening after the London flight and found there was a mix up between Expedia and the hotel and our 3 night booking was not booked in until the following day - so no hotel that night. I had also rung the hotel a month before to reserve a larger room with a sofa bed and there was no record of this.

Without going over the whole experience in detail, the reason I would give 4 stars is that all the staff took individual ownership, were helpful and courteous over the issues when I presented them to the front desk. They booked me in a different hotel which to be honest was better (the plaza around the corner) that first night, They also dropped a lot of charges, gave discounts and gave us extras like free breakfast (which I'd recommend) to make up for the errors. The hotel is also well located for the beach, (though the choice of local evening restaurants for children is limited). We chose to come back 2 weeks later and stay another 4 nights and they were also very welcoming the second time around (though they did recognise me - oops!). The rooms are a good size though I recommend paying the extra and getting one of the rooms with a sofa bed if you have 2 children as it gives more space in the room.

The only consistent fault I had was communication between individual members of staff was absent. I found myself having to repeat conversations to each new staff member on duty when I was assured information would be passed between staff on more than one occasion.

The second stay was trouble free. I'd recommend it for young families.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a sofa bed, it's worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank MDowning1973

Hello

I am very pleased that our staff were able to help make your stay positive. We try to empower our staff to make sure the guest is accommodated, unfortunately they had to work extra hard because of some clerical mistakes made in the reservation process which should not happen. I really appreciate you being so understanding with the manor. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and the location of the hotel. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Vancouver if you travel across the pond again to visit our fine city.