“Felt like home...”

Best Western Plus Sands
Ranked #45 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My wife and I spent 5 nights recently and Manager Dallas and his Team were nothing but welcoming and accommodating. Location is great for walking just about anywhere downtown. The onsite Food and Beverage were a great mix, we especially enjoyed The Park Pub, good food and plenty of beer on tap! Although an older building, they have certainly been investing to modernize where they can, TV's and technology for instance. The Sands is a great price point in the very competitive downtown hotel sector, and well worth visiting on your next trip!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JonnyK78
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Hello

Thank You for choosing The Best Western Sands Hotel. Thank You for noticing that we are always updating the hotel from appearance to the technology we provide. Thanks again for staying with us, We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Vancouver.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

The hotel is within walking distance to Stanley Park and English Bay,the room was very clean and a good value for your money. The staff were very friendly,I am from Vancouver and would often go there when they had a steak house as the restraunt. They now have a very nice Bar with a big screen to watch all the sports. Would recomend this place to all my friends. Evelyn

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank crib_13

Hello Evelyn

I am glad you had a pleasant stay at The Best Western Sands and will recommend the hotel to your friends. Thank You for complimenting The Park as well, we have worked really hard to make it the place to be for games and to enjoy beer. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Best Western Sands located by English bay, is an excellent location with Stanley park and an array of restaurants at its doorstep. The hotel team are very warm and welcoming, they offer help and guidance with a smile at every given opportunity. The onsite facilities, from the room, gym and lounge bar are of an excellent quality and definitely made a fun and enjoyable stay. I would highly recommend you try the hotel, you will not be disappointed (the best overall stay I have had in a round trip of 8 countries).

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Roop V
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Thank You very much for your amazing review! I am glad we exceeded expectations and you found our hotel so accommodating. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Vancouver.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Had mid-week meetings in Vancouver and hotel was great for accessing downtown and getting out along English Bay for exercise. Friendly, helpful staff and comfortable, clean rooms. Close to good restaurants on Denman. Will be back.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank JohnSHull_48
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Hello

Thank You for your review. I am glad you found our hotel so convenient for your meetings. The location is excellent for morning runs or bike rides along English Bay and the Sea Wall. The food along Denman and Davie is very diverse and good. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Vancouver.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

We'd never been to this hotel before and chose it for its proximity to the beach in Downtown Vancouver. It was a half block from English Bay and easy to find. The check in process was simple and the staff were very welcoming and helpful. The room was nice and we had a slice of a view to the ocean down Davie St. The area offered great walking and sightseeing. We didn't make reservations, but got snuck into the restaurant at the hotel for their New Year's Eve special, steak and lobster. (VERY yummy!) The servers seemed genuinely happy to be there and were very helpful with appetizer suggestions. The crab cakes were an experience on their own. Even with the New Year's festivities in the area, our room on the top floor was fairly quiet, facing Davie St. The amenities in the room were exactly what we needed and expected.

My only concern for our visit was the parking at the back of the hotel having public lane access. Otherwise - we would absolutely go there again if we had the occasion.

Room Tip: The hotel is angled East/West, so you have only a slice of a view to the ocean to the West from the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello

Thank You for the review of our property. I am glad you had such a Good New Years Eve at our hotel. The steak and lobster feature that night was a big hit. On a side note although our lot is not fully enclosed and has lane access but we do have security cameras through out our lot. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Vancouver.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Best Western Plus Sands is a nice boutique hotel located in the beautiful English Bay area. It is in walking distance from some great restaurants, coffee shops and of course the English Bay beach. We booked this hotel for its location and it turned out to be of great value for that very reason. Our rooms were on the second floor (220 & 222 with the partial beach view). Rooms are nice & clean. The beds are very comfortable. There's a small fridge, coffee maker and flat screen TV in the room.
There's a restaurant (The Park at English Bay) on premises that provides room service. The food is good and reasonably priced. We liked their breakfast menu. The hotel and the restaurant staff is very courteous.

I would have given this hotel 4 stars but here are certain things that I didn't like about my stay....
1. Poor sleep quality.
I didn't sleep well. On the first night (25 January 2014), there was some sort of party going on
downstairs and the music was so loud that I couldn't sleep until 2:30 AM.
2. There's no exhaust fan in the bathroom and there's no ventilation in the rooms. I had to keep a
small window open all night for fresh air. The traffic on the road was very noisy (city buses in
particular). This too, lead to poor sleep quality.
3. The hotel charges $15 per night for their own parking lot. No complimentary breakfast (not a
big deal though).
4. Not very attentive to customer needs.
I had booked two rooms for two nights. I specifically booked one room with two queen beds
for my friend, his wife and a 2 year old baby and the other room with ONE QUEEN BED for my
wife and myself. The idea was to make use of the bigger sitting area in the standard queen
room (with one queen bed) to hang out.
The hotel gave us both the rooms with two queen beds each. There was basically not enough
sitting area for four of us in either rooms so the whole purpose of booking different type of
rooms was defeated. Its not a big deal but I think a good hotel is supposed be aware of the
customers needs.

I do recommend this hotel to budget travelers because of its location, affordability, staff and cleanliness.

Room Tip: pick rooms on higher floors to avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Preet M

Hello

I am very sorry that you struggled to sleep at our Hotel. There is street noise than can be an issue. I will also have the Bar Manager monitor the volume of the music better moving forward. I do apologize once again that we did provide, service up to our level or yours. I hope you will stay with us again on your next visit to Vancouver.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Just recently stayed for only one night, but i must say it was a great stay. There was covered Parking, eays location to find, right by the beach, central to everything. The staff were kind and courteous. The room was spacious and very clean! Not to mention the view of English Bay was amazing! I will be coming back again!!!

You must go to Bayside Lounge directly on the corner of the hotel Amazing Drinks and food !!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing English Bay or ask for a balcony beauitful view!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Thank You very much for your kind review! I hope to see you again on your next visit to Vancouver. You are correct as well the Bayside Lounge is Vancouver's hidden gem!