Best Western Plus Sands
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
Buchan Hotel(Vancouver)
View Hotel
Times Square Suites Hotel(Vancouver)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
1,555 results
All reviewsstanley parkdavie streetbayside loungegreat locationenglish bay beachwest endsea wallan older hotelwould stay here againtop floorbus stoptim hortonsfront desk staffgranville islandhotel restaurantlots of restaurantsdowntown vancouver
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The staff were very polite and helpful, the restaurant attached had great food, the hotel itself was very clean and you can't beat the location!

I am a fairly light sleeper and was in a street facing view. The busses were constant and were so loud and teaming that with the traffic and general street noise was a little ridiculous. The windows also only have a sheer underlay and no dark curtain so the light in the mornings was annoying and will wake you up if your a light sleeper.

My husband and I stayed in a room with two double beds but found it hard to get around the room once both our suitcases were open so I have no idea how 4 people and 4 or more suitcases would fit in this room.

I am not a picky shower person but the pressure in the shower struggled to remove he soap off my body. My hair was in desperate need of a shampoo but I knew it would be a lost cause so put up with it until we left.

All in all this hotel was average and was pulled up by the cleanliness and staff friendliness.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Devon_Kat11
BWSandsGM, Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with the front side of the hotel. If there is a next time you stay with us try the backside of our hotel. Which is off the busy street with little to no noise. Thank you for taking time to give us a review.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

This hotel was booked for us by our Cruise Agent. We were staying one night pre-cruise after a 10 hour flight from London. The location was lovely. We were able to take a short stroll along English Bay after arriving before some supper in the Hotel Bar and retiring after our very long day.

The Hotel was clean, the staff personable and the room had all the amenities required. Our only small grumble was that the room was very hot and the air conditioning unit noisy.

Before leaving the Hotel we had breakfast and another short stroll. I would happily stay here again but I suspect that it is unlikely we will make another visit to Vancouver (this was our second) even though it is one of our favourite cities.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Sorry to hear that your air conditioner had problems. You'll be happy to hear that we have replaced almost every air conditioner in the hotel! If there is a chance you do come back to Vancouver please come visit us again.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We just got back from our second stay at this hotel. And we wouldn't have gone back if we didn't enjoy it the first time!

But if our memories of it were good the first time, they are only better now. It should be pointed out that while this is in the Best Western chain of hotels, it is a Best Western PLUS hotel ... definitely a step above the others.

We booked this hotel as the end point from an Alaskan Cruise and it is conveniently located relatively near the cruise terminal, but also to Stanley Park, Granville Island shops and restaurants, and a number of other good (but reasonable) restaurants ... all within walking distance of the BW Sands. (You will have to take that funny 15 person sized ferry over to Granville Island but it is just fun anyway!)

We got one of the most expensive (but most value-priced) rooms: a king size bed, "ocean view" (look at the pictures) room. It had an in-room convenience refrigerator, updated bath with convenience amenities (hair dryer, nice hair conditioner / shampoo, etc and a tub with shower combo). Other than the bath it was fully carpeted with fairly new nice carpet. The bed was also relatively new and gave good support, definitely of interest to me with a bad back and really wanting a good bed after having a mediocre one on the cruise.

Of significance was the fact that this room had a balcony that faced the ocean side of the hotel. While there was some traffic noise up there on the 5th floor (on the balcony only) it was forgotten once you started taking in the view. You DO face a complex directly across the street from you but you do have a view of the ocean (see pictures). The balcony is a little bit quirky in that you have to step over the air conditioning / heating vents as you go out to it, but other than it being inconvenient for any wheel-chair bound guests it was easily managed by us. My wife thoroughly enjoyed watching the sunset from the balcony as she read her book and enjoyed some libations!

The BW Sands also gave us a coupon for a bar that is within feet of the hotel. While I must admit that I am not typically a fan of such things, this turned out to be quite nice and a price-performer. It was a buy one drink get another of the same price or less for free. We took advantage of it to have a couple local beers and split a Taco appetizer. We had just had a great lunch and didn't want more. As it turns out we had a nice view and perfect convenience dinner. I'm not sure whether that bar is owned partially by the owner of this BW Sands hotel, but it was just right for our needs that night. A pic is attached (sorry about my poor photography of it as it was an incredible sunset that night).

I highly recommend the Best Western Sands. But if you pay for the best room, you should get it. As I have stated in other reviews, address room issues immediately. We were first assigned Room 502. The same great room inside but it is directly next to the BW Sand's LIGHTED sign on the balcony! We immediately called, took our keys down, and were assigned Room 514. No bright blaring sign at night to bother you. ALL of the rooms on that side of the hotel do have kind of a "New York City apartment" situation across the street from them. So if you want total privacy at night you will have to close the blinds. Us? We never close them at home so we just drew the shears when absolutely needed. Not a problem.

By the way, if you are reading this review, PLEASE SHIELD AND TURN DOWN YOUR OUTSIDE HOUSE LIGHTS! After all, do you want your next door neighbor's lights shining into your second story bedroom? This comment has nothing to do with my review of the BW Sands; just a plea for common courtesy.

My "rooms rating" is kind of a mixed bag. Mine was EXCELLENT but there are some bad rooms. So when you book your room at the BW Sands, ask for one (and expect to pay more for it) on the FIFTH floor on the Davie Street side of the buliding. It should be an EVEN numbered room between 502 and 526 (or possibly Room 527, an abnormality at the far end of the hotel closest to the water ... and I think probably the best room in the hotel). Or if you want to save a few dollars and don't care about a balcony or ability to see the view, go for one on the 4th floor or below. But understand the 5th floor is the ONLY floor with balcony rooms (even numbered rooms ONLY) and furthest from traffic noise. All rooms will most likely be as quiet as mine (514) with the windows closed tight.

DO NOT take a room with an uneven room number unless low price is your only concern. Rooms on the back side (those with odd numbers) of the hotel have essentially no ... or gross ... views. Rooms 521 and 519 are problematic as the elevator is between them as well as the ice/coke machine. What could be worse than no/gross views AND the noise of an ice machine AND elevator. Don't say I didn't warn you .....

Ice and coke machines are on the 5th and 3rd floors (possibly lower too but I didn't go down that far). While there is a coke machine, there is no ice machine on Floor 4. (We ran out of ice on 5 so that's they only way I found out!)

Room servicing (things like making the bed or replacing a used ice bucket plastic liner, for instance) is rather ;minimal after your first night's stay. Not a biggie but if I had to nit-pick at faults that would be it.

I should tell you that the staff at the BW Sands is very nice and accommodating. They WANT to please you and they are very friendly. They seemingly handle all of your requests in stride and with a warm smile.

Room Tip: Please see my review comments. Basically only take an "even numbered" room and on Floor 5 if you want a balcony and ocean view. Rooms like 519 and 521 may be on the top floor but are between the ice/coke machine and next to the elevators. Gross!
7  Thank help32250

Thanks for the wonderful review! I'm glad we made your second stay just as memorable as the first one. Hope to see you again

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Great Experience, Experienced, professional, caring staff, First class room/bed comfort and cleanliness. Prime location. Disappointing to have to pay extra for breakfast & parking, although with such a prime location it made up for the extra cost. Restaurant food and service very good and very affordable. Will definitely return and recommend to friends. Thank you for a wonderful experience.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for staying with us and taking time to submit a review we will see you again.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed here prior to our Alaska cruise. The location just a few mimutes to English Bay was great. Staff were very friendly. We had booked two rooms and when we arrived one room was ready but the second room was not ready until three hours later. Not really a big problem so we had lunch and walked around the area ending up at Stanley Park an easy walk from the hotel.
The rooms were clean, adequate storage, nice bathroom amenities and a good shower. It was a bit smaller than some of the rooms at other Best Westerns but we were only there two nights and did not spend much time in the hotel. There is a TV and fridge in the room but no safe. Beds were comfortable and even though our room was facing the street we were not bothered by street noise during the night. Air conditioner was a bit noisy.
Checkout was quick. I would recommend this hotel for the location and the friendly staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and taking your time to write this review. Hope to see you again.