“One night was not enough”

Best Western Plus Sands
Ranked #49 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Canada
“One night was not enough”
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Great location close to Stanley Park and public transit. Downtown was not too far away. It is an older hotel and the room was smallish but the location and price made me very very forgiving. Friendly and very efficient staff. I used Priceline for a good deal and would be happy to stay at the BW Sands again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, May 17, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and we are all very happy that your stay was a pleasant one. We look forward having you stay with us again in the near future. I will pass your kind comments onto the staff, I know they will be very happy to hear that their hard work is paying off and guest do notice this. Once again thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Corner Brook, Canada
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Picked this hotel for a one week stay during a trip out west to visit our son and sightsee based on tripadvisor reviews as well as price and location and was not disappointed. The location is great, just a few minutes away from Stanley Park and the beach. Cherry blossom trees and rhododendrons were beautiful this time of year. The hotel is very clean and comfortable, housekeeping does a great job there. Double King Room exactly as shown in hotel pictures. We were facing the street on the second floor and had no noise problem whatsoever. Stayed on Granville St. the last time we were in Vancouver and was much noisier there from the nightclubs but did not have that issue this time at all. We had a couple of meals at Checkers Restaurant which were very good and reasonably priced, also enjoyed the karaokee one night. Some of the locals who got up were pretty good. Tim Hortons right across the street is a bonus, also Starbucks next door. Would definitely stay there again if back in Vancouver.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
It is always a pleasure to have such great guests as yourselves staying with. I am truly glad that you were able to get out and enjoy the spring blooms. Thank you for your generous compliments I will be very proud to show the staff. Many thanks and we all look forward to seeing you on your return visit.
Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2011

Arriving in the hotel the staff were helpful and pleasant. The room was spotlessly clean and a good size, the bathroom again was spotlessly clean. Parking is available but is limited we got the last space on the first night although every other time there were plenty of spaces. Just over the road is english bay which is the start of the sea wall around stanley park, (one of the must sees before you die). The housekeeping staff are very helpful and will make the room up when it suits you. The bus route to downtown starts and ends right outside the hotel, this is a little noisy if you leave the window open but makes getting around the city very easy. You need your key card to operate the elevator from the lobby which is good for security. Highly recommended friendly hotel in a prime location.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank jockboyo
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, April 29, 2011
It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoy your stay with us and also enjoyed the local attractions.
Our staff takes pride in the jobs and it is certainly appreciated when a guest notices this. Thank you for stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again.
Prince Rupert, Canada
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I booked this hotel just for one night while in transit on vacation. I arrived late and just wanted a good sleep. I was not disappointed, I asked for and got a room at the back with a very comfortable king size bed. The staff member was the same at checkin and check out at the front desk and he was very pleasant. I think the front of the hotel can be noisey with buses etc, but the back worked for me. Rooms been renovated in recent years and are very comfortable. I heard no one in the hallway all night which is unusual, so hotel was likely not very busy this night. Hotel has a very good recycling program as well. I will stay here again, very nice property. Next time I will stay longer and enjoy the location more than I had time for. Again it's much quieter at the back, no view but more restful.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank johnnietravels
Thank you so much for the kind review. I am certainly glad we could accommodate your request upon check in. I will also pass you kind words onto the front desk agent you are referring to. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed April 24, 2011

My husband and I came up from WA state for the weekend since we had yet to do the B.C. thing. We've lived in WA now 2.5 years and hadn't gone into Canada yet. We were really excited to go the same weekend Bon Jovi was going to be in B.C. so we grabbed up some really cheap tickets and off we went. We found this hotel for an affordable price but we soon figured out why.

The hotel is in a wonderful location. Had it been a weekend to play down at the water, this would have just completed this weekend. Everything was in walking distance for us. We ended up walking ALOT. The bus system is really nice too and drops off right in front of the hotel.

We arrived early and that was probably why we ended up with this HORRIBLE HORRIBLE room. I believe it was room 117. Whatever you do, request that you don't get this room or any room near the elevator or near the ice machine. Holy toledo. I would also suggest you get a room that is not facing that street. Of course you won't know this until you get the room. So if you get your room and its any of these things or ALL these things like it was for us, GET OUT while you can. We were in for a terrible night of people in and out all night long, drunks screaming/having a great time out on the street, ice machine that was broken and people attempting to use it and it making all kinds of crazy noises, etc.......I tried to request to switch rooms the first night but they were all filled up. No such luck. I think what bothered us most was the folks leaving the hotel bar at 2am or whatever hour and then congregating out on the street and holding loud conversations as we all do when we drink too much. I can't tell you how many conversations we had to listen to!

Other troubling issues:
Because we didn't sleep much due to said issue above, we tried to sleep in a little in the morning. No luck. Housekeeping was VERY loud in the morning, all through the halls. Yikes. The walls are paper thin. You WILL hear your next door neighbors.

The temperature gauge wasn't working much. We had to call down to the front desk and were told to "give it some time". Wow, really?

The power went out in the morning because I was blow drying my hair and apparently the next door neighbor was as well. The reset button doesn't work in the bathroom. I called down to front desk. They told me that next door neighbor had just called too and they were sending a maintenance man to reset the circuit breaker. ARE YOU SERIOUS??

The bathroom is VERY small. My husband and I could hardly fit him and I in there.

Lastly, I have to say, one of the front desk employees, Pancho (I believe) was so incredibly nice to us the day we arrived. He really went out of his way to explain the city to us. We were very appreciative!

Would I stay again? Maybe, if i had a different room, perhaps..........I don't know.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the street!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, April 25, 2011
I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. The room indicated in your review does not exist so it is hard for me to correct the issue with the temperature gauge and the issue with the power to your room. I believe that it is a good thing that a circuit breakers will pop as this prevents any serious issues to develop.
I would like to address the issue of the noise outside your room on the street. While I would love to never have an issue again it remains to be a fact that city life does go on all hours of the day and we have no control over this.
I will address this issue of housekeeping in the hallways that I do have direct control over and rectify the issues you have described. I will also have a look into the ice machine.
I do hope that you will give us another chance during the warmer months and that you will be able to use this excellent location to its true splendor.
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 20, 2011

This hotel is a hop, skip and jump away from the English Bay. Everything you need is in walking distance around the hotel. The staff at the hotel are very friendly and provide a map of the area. There breakfast in the hotel is great, too. A good deal during the week for $5.99 per person.

Room Tip: 3rd or 4th floor best view.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Thank you for your kind review and we do hope to see you again in the near future. Thank you for staying with us.
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed April 18, 2011

We stayed at Best Western Sands for three nights, after coming over from Europe. Although we specifically requested a quiet room before (being tipped of by tripadvisor), we were not so lucky. We ended up having a room to the street, which was really noisy: till late at night, a bus stopped regularly in front of our room, making a lot of noise (a.o. from the pneumatic valve). What is more, between 11 and 12 pm a car alarm went of four times. Next day, we asked to have a room to the back and got it. On the third evening, we saw a bunch of teenagers going out. Unfortunately, they came back around 10 pm and went to their rooms, which happened to be on our floor. They partied all through the night, with regular trips to the ice machine. They even knocked on our door. Although we asked the front desk to help, nothing happened. When we reported the hell of a night to the front desk next morning, they actually said to know of nothing! They couldn't find any complaint made at night. When we asked to be compensated for our hell of a night, we got 10% (!!) discount for this third night.
All in all, don't go there, don't pay money which isn't worth it, and spread the word.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank tineadam1017
BWSandsGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sands, responded to this review, April 19, 2011
.I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel; however I believe that we do not have control over the noise outside of our property line and car alarms in the neighbourhood! When you requested a new room, it was given to you, so not a problem there.
As for the teenage noise there are no reports of this from any guests and if we don't know about the noise we can't stop it. In the future when you travel to other hotels and this happens to you again and I am sure it will, please inform the desk. The hotel in question will then have time to react to the situation and not find out about it when it’s all over.
I can only assume that you were looking for more compensation and were disappointed not to get it more