“Hapless waiter”

Cross street: Maple
Castlegar, Canada
“Hapless waiter”
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

This an excellent restaurant that we frequent regularly - probably our favorite. Usually the have a bar tender who mixes all of her own premises, and is fantastic. They currently have a waiter with a beard. He is clueless. Brought drinks for half the table and forgot the wine for the other half, was a given a credit card on the sky by one of the party, but then gave the bill to someone else and only realized when he had run the bill twice. A genial fellow, but better suited to, perhaps, the Seven 11 down the street, or at best, a video store.

West Michigan
“Best meal of our entire vacation”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We didn't make reservations and simply chose this restaurant because we had driven out to the University of British Columbia's botanical gardens (loved the canopy walk) and Museum of Anthropology (a truly remarkable place; standing in the great hall filled with totems is a spiritual experience). We pulled out Fodor's and looked for restaurants between UBC and our hotel. What an amazing find.

I'd love to tell you what we ate, but I have no idea. We ordered the chef's menu of five courses. They honored my request that none of the courses be fish. And then they started bringing one amazing dish after another.

Every bite was a surprising mix of favors. The staff were extremely helpful in not only telling us what we were eating, but also explaining how to eat it.

The restaurant was bustling and full of happily eating and chatting customers. Noisy? A bit, but we didn't go there for a romanatic evening. We left full and full of appreciation for a truly surprising and delicisous meal.

• Visited September 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“Chef's tasting menu okay”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My friend and I went to this restaurant and decided to go for the chef's tasting menu. There was definitely lots of food and variety...9 courses in total. The appetizer course were good. By the time we got to the mains, we were stuffed and barely ate them. So, we got them to go. They were not all that impressive the next day. Lesson learned...leftovers from Maenam are not good.

Metchosin, Canada
“Good food but served too fast in very noisy restaurant”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Even with booking a week in advance, my friend and I were seated in a poor location beside a group of 12 making an already loud restaurant almost impossible to converse in. As it was my friend's birthday I suggested we both have the $30 each 5 course tasting menu. We were started with Chicken Satay but before I had even taken my second (and last) satay off the serving plate, the waiter appeared with our Sweet and Sour King Crab Soup. I asked to please slow down the serving of the courses. The chicken with peanut sauce was excellent, the crab soup flavour was very good except the crab was overcooked and tough. After about 10 minutes the last three courses ALL arrived at the same time with rice. So even after asking to slow down the serving the 5 course meal was served in 2 courses!! Can you say 'hurry up and get out of my restaurant so I can seat more people' any better than this? On our now very crowded table was Pork Salad (excellent), Halibut (crispy but too sweet) and Beef Curry (excellent). Come on, the Pork Salad should have at least been served as it's own course. As the dinner was served so fast and the noise level (just from patron's talking and the restaurant having no noise baffles at all) was so loud we decided not to stick around for coffee and dessert. From arriving to leaving this 5 course meal only took 70 minutes - a world record I'm sure. The service as far as being attentive was very good it was just that the whole thing was rushed so my mark of 2 is a reflection on the kitchen service not the wait staff. Even though the food was very good, I was embarrassed bringing my friend here for her birthday dinner.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Marginal, at best”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I live in Thailand and eat Thai food daily - sometimes at a streetside "30 baht for noodles" joint and sometimes at the HiSo "dinner for 4 for 3200 baht" spots.

Maenam isn't much of a Thai restaurant. The staff, while friendly, had no real clue what they were serving and what it was supposed to taste like and where in the country the dish came from. The food was "watered" down taste-wise to deal with western palates and the portions were small.

For example, the "Som Tam" (papaya salad) lacked both the dried fish and the vinegar and the server, while presenting the menu items prior to our ordering dinner, couldn't even tell me if it was a central plains recipe - it was - or served Isaan style (made with crab usually but very spicy).

I won't go back while there are other spots (Kon Thai in Tsawwassen; Sawatdee on Main) that have knowledgeable serving staff serving much better food.