“I would go again”

Neighborhood: Robson Street
Vancouver, Canada
“I would go again”
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

I've been to a couple sushi places that has the all you can eat offering and the food is barely edible and the service is terrible. Not the case with Toyama. We visited mid afternoon on a Saturday. The place was just under 50% capacity.Our primary server was terrific. We did the all you can eat and the food started arriving minutes after we placed our first order. Sure it is not the best sushi to be had, but I felt it was good value. I would return.

• Visited September 2013

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“Toyawful”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Don't go hungry, food takes forever to come...if it comes at all. Ordered a ton of stuff, got a bite's worth of food. Left hungry.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Sara R
“Terrible !!!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I haven't experienced such a bad service in a long time. I am here right now. Is been 40 minutes and I still haven't got my miso soup. Not to mention te suck I ordered which I think will take about 20 minutes longer. The food is so not worth the wait. Don't go there unless you have 3 hours to spend

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Mohammed K
Lihue, Hawaii
“Take out was great”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Arrived late in town one night and was looking for a place to eat. Decided to do take out after our long flight.The restaurant seemed a bit crowded, but the food was good. Definitely would eat there again.

Visited May 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“Terrible”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We were a party of two looking for something to eat after a day of travelling. This place looked okay from the outside (lots of people and looked clean). We walked in and were greeted immediately (the only good service we had that night).
Once we decided what we wanted, we had to call the waitress to take our orders (in this time, a group of 6 Japanese people came, were seated straight away, had their orders taken and had a few dishes - through the rest of our time there, they had a continuous stream of dishes and all the waitresses came by their table asking if everything was okay - brilliant service for them). I ordered a katsu don and my partner ordered a japanese crepe with chicken dish (I forgot the name but it was long and started with "oh-"). My katsu don came after 15-20 minutes. It was salty and I started eating after 10 minutes because it was getting cold. The miso soup that came with my dish came about 5 minutes after I started eating. 45 minutes later, the japanese crepe came out. It had one gristly piece of chicken and the rest of the meal was a near-inedible doughy, deep fried batter, mayonaise (that was fishy), fish sauce, and fish flakes. The rice and miso that was supposed to come with that dish never came.
After pointing out all the mishaps (missing food, lateness of food), we were answered with a "oh sorry" or "it's coming" - no real solution or attempt to improve our dining experience with them. By the time the crepe came (after I had to twice remind them and ask where the food was), I had finished half of my meal (I couldn't finish the rest - it was too salty but I was hungry so I ate half). Not a pleasant experience at all. I was tempted to walk out or ask for the crepe dish to be deducted from the bill but we were too tired from travelling.
We decided to wait to see how long they will take to come to our table and ask how everything was then clear the table and get the bill. No such luck with that kind of service (meanwhile, the group of 6 next to us were being served by all of the 4 waitresses working)! My partner eventually asked for the bill. I was tempted to just pay cash and underpay by a couple of dollars before walking out but a different waitress came up with a card machine (before we even put a card down or were ready to pay). My partner gave her his card and we decided to not tip (the least we could do to show our dissatisfaction). When the receipt was printed, the waitress scrunched it up before realising we needed to sign. She thrust scrunched up receipt on the table asking us to sign. Once we'd signed, she took it away and stormed off. Such terrible service and food. Don't go here unless you're Japanese and don't mind eating so-so food.

• Visited January 2013