“Simple restaurant, great atmosphere”
Review of Bandidas Taqueria

Bandidas Taqueria
Ranked #166 of 3,730 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New Westminster, Canada
“Simple restaurant, great atmosphere”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Today I had dinner with a friend in “Bandidas”. It’s totally different to “Las Margaritas” where I went yesterday. The decoration is not typical Mexican. It’s more alternative. The place is much smaller. The food is pure vegetarian. The service personal is definitive much friendlier and more polite than in “Las Margaritas”. Despite that it was completely crowded (in contrast to “Las Margaritas”) the staff remained friendly and relaxed, even if some of them appeared already exhausted. In “Las Margaritas” we had the feeling that they wanted to push us out as soon as we finished our meal. Here in “Bandidas” nobody pushed us to pay or leave despite there was a line-up the entire time. The atmosphere was clearly better than in “Las Margaritas”.
The line-up already indicates that this restaurant is in high demand. The food was not extremely cheap, but also not really expensive. It was just right. I ate baked burrito “Ronny Russell”. I was delicious. I enjoyed it pretty much. My friend had enchiladas “Rocky’s” with mole sauce and rice. This was not so good. The black beans tasted burnt. This destroyed the entire taste. At the end we had a piece of chocolate cake. This was heavy as usual here in America. And the taste was not bad.
Only two things were not so good: The water was obviously just tap water. It was filled into cooking jars (nice idea). But it was filled into them long time before the serving (I counted more than 20 min). So the water tasted fade and old, not fresh.
Another issue of concern was the hygiene in the kitchen. I found it pretty good to see from the room into the kitchen. But I didn’t like to see that they prepared all the food with the plain hands, and use the very same towel for cleaning the countertop as well as for the hands again and again….
In general, I like the atmosphere much more in “Bandidas” than in “Las Margaritas”. The food was different. But the service was definitive better. I would probably recommend it to friends who are looking for a nice, simple, vegetarian restaurant.

• Visited May 2013

• Korean first
Taplow Buckinghamshire
“Veggie restaurant with an edge”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Now as many folk will tell you I'm no veggie, in fact quite the opposite so it really says something when I find a veggie restaurant I'm prepared to recommend. Well this is it (a first for me)! Completely unpretentious the staff are really friendly and professional in a culinary way and not at all obsessive. It certainly had a Bohemian feel to it with plenty of folk there who I'm sure could pronounce Wagner even if his music was not their scene. The food was most excellent with an obvious Mexican theme with Taco and Enchiladas, Buritos and all the usual mix. There were six of us so we have a fair selection from the menu and I think it would be fair to say everyone was VERY happy. I certainly tried at least four dishes and they were excellent. Super tasty and with good portions which were NOT supersized to the point that you just give up! Price was pretty darn reasonable too at around CAN$100 for all six of us and the included a couple of beers!!!

Highly recommended, try it if you're in town and anywhere south of downtown. You don't even have to be a vegetarian because if you are you should already know about this gem.

• Visited November 2012
Calgary, Canada
“Omg I found a restaurant I not onlyLove but also respect!”
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Food is amazing and amazingly affordable! A cool variety on the menu and very well labelled and explained menu. It's a very urban all natural environment but lively and genuine. I will be coming here every time I'm in Vancouver hands down.
I had 4 tacos all different kinda, chipotle tofu and ground walnut and chocolate quinoa cake so delicious. Plus a horchata with soy and bourbon! Just awesome.

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Bravo!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Creative and healthy cuisine that tastes really good. I can't eat dairy so this place is mana from heaven for me. They offer a vegan sour cream and cheese and they have great vegan dessert options and exotic cocktails. It's too good to be true but, alas, it's true!

• Visited November 2012
Victoria, Canada
“Incredible Flavour - Great Selection and +++ Value”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This review took me too long to write. I live on Vancouver Island and come over to the Mainland a couple of times a year. If time permits, I make sure I stop off at Bandidas. My last trip to this venue was in March. I came over to the mainland to visit with my son and some of his friends (an indi band from Alberta - couple of vegans in the fray). My daughter and I knew this was the place that would work for us....
To be honest, I can't recall the actual name of the entrees we ordered but I did post the pics. The beans and rice sides, alone packed so much flavour and the overall vibe of the restaurant was so comfortable. The presentation was so appetizing and tasted incredible.
Staff here are fast, knowledgible and down to earth and we never experienced any wait times for service.
For 6 of us a mid day meal that left us wanting for nothing and was around $60