“Interesting, delicious food.”

Bao Bei Chinese Brasserie
Ranked #20 of 3,707 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Wellington, New Zealand
“Interesting, delicious food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

We had a great experience here recently. With no reservation, we had a bit of a wait (as it was a Friday evening), but once ated, service was prompt and good. I loved the food, both the variety and quality. One of my friends was vegetarian, but there was no difficuly with that. E veggie dishes were just as tasty as the meat based ones. We will be sure to come back next time we are in Vancouver,

“A dinner to remember!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was part of a wedding rehearsal dinner at Bao Bei. The chef, Joel Watanabe, and his staff served us course after course of deliciousness. After about 7 or 8 courses, I lost count. All I know is I kept eating. Several hours later, everyone in the group (we had about 50-60 people - took up the entire restaurant) went home happy. The Bao (steamed bun) was the best I've ever had in my life. Definitely worth going to again when I'm back in Vancouver!

Burnaby, Canada
“Never again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

I've been wanting to come here for a few months now. I am fortunate to dine out everyday, and enjoy trying to new places. But this place is not that great. With the pork jowl and pork belly being sold out, there menu is kind of limited. We had the eggplant, wontons (soup tastes like water, wontons are so bland, its better going to even Hon's for it), beef tartare, flatbread and taiwanese sausages. There's nothing "memorable" about the food here. The only good thing I would say is the taiwanese sausages aren't greasy or oily. The service here is horrible. We were seated and ordered, after that, no one said one word to us. We were given our dishes, not one word to us, (Here are your eggplants... here are your sausages... what is with just giving us food?). At the end, we asked the for bill and this guy seemed so annoyed like we owed him something? This was on a Wednesday night around 10pm and they were very slow! I can always accept this behaviour if it's busy and employees are annoyed or literally busy, but on a slow and dead night, it's always unacceptable. So after getting the bill, again, not one word to us. The only things we heard that evening was "do you want anything to drink?" and "do you need change?" My boyfriend and I decided to give a 20% tip, just to see if maybe employees would be nicer. So we asked for 1$ back, he confirmed we wanted 1$ back in a really rude way, when he gave us 1$ back, he threw it on the table and not one word. No goodnight, no bye, are you serious? What does this place teach me? Next time I'll say, "Sorry, yes, I decided I do want my change back." Even with a 20% tip you cannot get service from anyone here.
I'm not here to complain about the food, I won't even bother. But there is something clearly wrong with their service. I guess it's a place to drink, but not eat or get service.

Amsterdam
“Big surprize”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Based on tripadvisor reviews we went to Bao Bei with a party of 7. No problem to accomodate. The waiter suggested to serve a variety of dishes which did not disappoint. We had a fantastic dinner.

Thank R. B
Toronto, Canada
“Fun and Tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

The long line out the door was a good sign. Thankfully the night market was also happening the evening that we went so after putting our name down we had a stroll and the wait time flew by. The wait staff was very attentive with water and drinks and guiding us through the menu. Its intended to be small share plates so we were advised how many would be appropriate to order. They also made suggestions for the vegetarian in our group and offered to do some substitutions to make certain dishes acceptable. Everything was fresh tasting and delicious and different.

• Visited May 2013