“Great sushi at a modest price!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: http://sushikimura.com
Vancouver, Canada
“Great sushi at a modest price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Went there after a flight from Arizona and a frantic hour at the Bellingham Costco so I was ready for a good meal. I was not disappointed. The spicy scallop roll was very fresh and very big. The miso soup was piping hot. I had the chicken kaarage and although it was different to other places I've tried...it was very good. The nigiri sushi was also good. The chef and staff were very friendly and we even got a special cone on the house. I'll go back for sure!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Olliedad

Burnaby, Canada
“Excellence, we will be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Hopped in for lunch with spouse to try this place, finding out it changed ownership just nigh a year ago. Very pleasant server states, "very young owner." To me excellence reveals itself in the quality of its miso soup, and here it did not disappoint, being rich and full-flavored. We tried the special, "volcano roll", a surprising treat with crisp thinly- cut,fried yam sprinkled over the delicately sliced sushi roll with nicely flavored shrimp- based ingredients that complemented perfectly. We shared that with the Oyako donburi, again complemented nicely with the roll, and enjoyed the sprinkling of sliced red ginger adding a visual and tasty edge to the dish. Without being asked we were provided with an extra bowl, and extra small ladle for our purposes. I also judge such Japanese cuisine by its green tea, and this too was perfect enough to please me.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
“Haven't been there yet? You're missing out big time!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

An unassuming place that will absolutely blow your mind away! Excellence in quality, presentation and service. Our only regret was our limited stomach capacity preventing us from trying out more stuff. You can see the chefs' passion for their craft in the food "art" you are presented. For what you get, it's an unbelievable value. Even before we left, we were planning our next visit. Gold medal all the way and highly recommended!!

Bowen Island, Canada
“I expected more flair”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I popped in for a quick lunch, and ordered the sushi combo plate, which came with a large bowl of miso soup.

Very attentive service (they weren't busy), and the sushi chef was very obviously well trained and experienced. He had two sous chefs working behind him, and he would occasionally look over their shoulders to see they were on top of things.

I must say I expected superlative, and got 'good'. The fish was fresh, the rice done right- but why, in the middle of sockeye season, would they use farmed atlantic salmon? Why were there no exotics (like ikura)- just 8 pieces for $20. Why was the presentation absolutely minimal?

Others around me had ordered lunch specials, which did look good. I may try again- and order more judiciously, but I suspect this Kimura is NOT the Kimura of earlier times.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Vancouver, Canada
“Chef Kimura moving to Kitsilano location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

We came here for the first time on April 29, 2012 after reading about it in Vancouver Magazine's Restaurant Awards issue. Chef Kimura was holding court at the sushi bar and we ordered the $40 omakase which consisted of 9 dishes. Great value and excellent inventive cuisine! It quickly becomes evident that Chef Kimura is a master of textures. The first appetizer plate had lovely fresh raw oysters, soft kabocha, something gelatinous and something crunchy. All subtle flavours, but wonderful! The deep fried crunchy fish 'roll' with the single perfectly smoked oyster was my favourite dish, but the sashimi salad with tofu dressing was a very close second. The three pieces of nigiri sushi at the end were amazing - super fresh and melt-in-your-mouth fish, but just the perfectly cooked rice alone was delicious! Decor is basic hole-in-the-wall, but the servers were extremely friendly and helpful with the explanations.

Right as we were leaving, though, our server told us that it was Chef Kimura's last night at this location! He, along with his two Japanese sous chefs, were leaving and opening another sushi restaurant in Kitsilano - she took down my email address so I would be informed of the new address. However, she went to great pains to assure us that the new owners were going to "keep everything the same", including the name of the restaurant.

So just a note of caution to all future diners: the amazing Chef Kimura is no longer here. However, perhaps the new chef will be just as good!

• Visited April 2012