“Good Salmon, good deer.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Salmon n' Bannock

Salmon n' Bannock
Ranked #4 of 3,677 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Canadian, Native American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Shaughnessy
Description: We are Vancouver's only First Nations restaurant. We specialize in wild fish, free range game meat and of course bannock, freshly baked daily. We use traditional ingredients that we prepare and present in a modern way. In our small casual bistro everyone is welcome as they are. In the spirit of First Nations' traditions, our intention is to provide a gathering place where the focus is on the people and the food. Inez (Nuxalk Nation) and Remi Owners
Burnaby, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Salmon, good deer.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

I took my mother to this restaurant for the sockeye salmon, I tried the deer shank, both were very good. The mashed potatoes was nicely done and the vegetables (slivered carrots and green beans) were done perfectly. We tried the clam fritter appetizer but we were underwhelmed due to the lack of clams, the bannock was over worked a bit too much but tasty, the saskatoon berry jam was good. There were limited choices for dinner but the two we had were quite tasty. Mom was wanting herring egg roe for an appetizer but that choice was not on the menu. If I am there on a cool day I will try the stew.

• Visited July 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Vancouver, Canada
“Unique First Nations inspired cusine for when you want something different”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

We tried this out during dine out as we had never tried Native American / First Nations / Aboriginal cuisine. They were offering a 3 course menu for $28 and there were 2 of us so we decided to try different things.

1st course - Spicy mixed game chorizo skewer and organic mixed greens salad with Indian candy and bannock crackers. Both were tasty and the indian candy was better than any indian candy I had tried before.
2nd course - Elk roast in red wine and mushroom gravy and wild sockeye salmon filet with dill sauce. I was a bit intimidated by the elk and felt it tasted too “meaty” (if that makes sense to any of you) but my carnivoir of a boyfriend really enjoyed it.
3rd course – Bannock bites with hot caramel sauce. The caramel sauce tasted a bit burnt but the cinnamon bannock bites were tasty enough on their own for me. It was almost like a really dense timbit.

The service was really good especially considering the restaurant was packed (fair enough for Dine Out season) and turns out one of the patrons left their baby soother on the ground and they called everyone back the next day to try to find out who it belonged to. One of the owners was there as well doing quality control and she was very friendly and more than happy to chat. Only downside was that the restaurant felt very small - but probably only because it was during Dine Out.

• Visited February 2012
GE0RG1E
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

My boyfriend and I were out for a walk one day and just happened to walk past this restaurant. I grew up in a small town where native cuisine was abundant so definitely wanted to check this place out. We went back a couple of weeks later and it did not disappoint. I had the wild sockeye salmon with creamy dill sauce which included roasted potatoes, cauliflower and carrots as well as a fresh bannock. My boyfriend had the bison cheese burger on bannock with sweet potato wedges. The service was very attentive and the food fresh and well made. I would highly recommend checking this restaurant out. My only regret was that we were too full to try the bannock bread pudding!

• Visited June 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“lovely, unique, so yummy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

I really miss Lilliget Feast House (formerly on Davie near Denman, closed for years now) and was heartbroken when they closed, so I was so happy when I saw Salmon 'n' Bannock open a couple of years ago. Though S'n'B doesn't have the atmosphere (or my favourite waiter), it still earns it's 5 stars. I highly recommend the deer stew and the game platter sampler. I wish they had some sort of feast platter, like Lilliget did, but it's not fair of me to keep comparing them. The service I have received at S'n'B has always been fantastic and I like the all Nk'Mip wine list (though the whites are more consistent than the reds, as is true with most BC wine). Overall, a wonderful, unpretentious restaurant that has never failed to make me full and happy.

• Visited December 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
“Fabulous dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2012

This was a fabulous dining experience. The food was terrific, the wine was First Nation wine and very good, and the service was spectacular. One of the owners waited on us and she was absolutely charming--a real delight.

• Visited February 2012