“Honest experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vancouver
Bee & Thistle Guest House
Ranked #3 of 56 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is my first ever review written while at the airport because I feel that strongly about my experience.

$603 dollars for 3 nights is what I was set to pay, expecting the service described by previous reviewers. Well I was robbed, after arriving at the appointed check in time I was quickly greeted by a girl not the owner and in the space of 30 seconds shown to my room and she was off down stairs. My previous experiences of guest houses is that you are shown where thigs are, and around the property, not this time. The young lady could not have moved faster, what a fine welcome to Vancouver after 4 hours on a bus.

Having not been shown how the door locks work as previous reviewers said there are no keys I made a couple of attempts to lock it, not wanting to leave my things unattended in an unlocked room for long I ventered out to find someone but the doors were locked.

It was 2.5 hours before the owner appeared as a result of the alarm sending him messages.

But after 2.5 hours of thinking about it, I was almost ready to walk the first night.

Room is clean but there is no other way to secure the door like a bolt or manual lock, the chain on the door had nothing to secure it the frame.

Sleeping was difficult the room never dropped below 25-26 Celsius all during my stay to a person from England who is used to 18 Celsius air con would of been invaluable but the only thing available was a 12in fan that merely moved warm air.

Bathroom was clean and as pictured on the website.

Did not have breakfast on any of the mornings so cannot comment on that.

Upon speaking with the owner I was refunded $100 dollars but for the same price I could have gotten a hotel.

Could not get out of there fast enough.

So my bill was $503 for a bed in a hot room for 3 nights I feel robbed and the whole thing has put me off and I certainly will not return nor recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank GeordieLad2013
buzzinginn, Owner at Bee & Thistle Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

We are saddened by this review and admit that we did give a great deal of thought to writing a very detailed response. However, in the end, we feel it best to let our other reviews and fabulous guests speak for us. We feel truly blessed that, almost without exception, our guests arrive as strangers and leave as dear friends. Thank you to each and every one of you!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

What else can I say that has not already been said in previous reviews. The home is very large and beautiful. We arrived later than expected but there was a very nice note on the door with a "pass code" set up specifically for our use that allowed access to the front door and our room -no need for keys which was nice. They both made a point to come and introduce themselves when they heard us coming downstairs. We spent one night in Ivy and the other in Molly, both were well decorated and comfortable. There was a very nice welcome letter on the bed as well as a preview of the next mornings breakfast. Breakfast was well thought out and very delicious. They also allowed us to use their washer and dryer which was super nice of them. My husband gave Michael a hand in one of the guest rooms and we came back to our room after dinner to a thank you note and a bottle of wine. It really is the little details that make you appreciate having had the opportunity to meet others. Everything about our stay was wonderful and we enjoyed both Lynn and Michael. Thank you

Room Tip: Ivy has separate front porch seating Molly has a view of the garden Both rooms were beautiful but...
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The Bee and Thistle was a tremendous find. Located near Commercial Street, it is a gracious old home in a fantastic neighborhood and you instantly feel part of it. Michael and Lynn are the best. They are friendly, down to earth and genuinely thrilled to meet guests and help you with any Vancouver plans. The rooms are beautiful and well appointed but the breakfasts in themselves are works of art. Lynn and Michael are committed to your comfort and they treat you as guests in their home which is what this Inn is for them. Sitting out on the balcony late afternoon was elegant. Michael's help with bus tickets and maps made our afternoon carefree. We left, even after just one night, feeling like we had made friends. I must return to Vancouver but I will make sure this Inn can accommodate me before I come.

Room Tip: Feel fortunate to get any room.
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Isn't it great when the hype lives up to the reality - the Bee & Thistle emulates everything that is great about staying in a B & B. Michael and Lynn are lovely people who do all they can to make your stay the best possible, including a lift to the bus terminal in monsoon weather conditions! The attention to detail, and the thought that has gone into making their home a five-star holiday experience, are fantastic. The breakfast was the best we had during our month in Canada. This really is a gem - don't miss it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 17, 2013

There is so much to love about this b&b. You'll feel so pampered you won't want to go home! Upon arriving, my husband loved the keyless entry feature which we've never seen before anywhere in our b&b stays. Lynn & Michael were engaging, genuinely helpful & knowledgable hosts. Their warmth and charm made everything seamless and easy. We stayed in the Florence room for 2 nights and it was immaculate, luxurious and very comfortable. Our sleep quality was excellent. We loved the attention to detail & extras that were provided: Everything from the toiletries, artisan soaps, the yummy afternoon cookies and complimentary snacks & beverages in our refrigerator, current magazines to read, our own restaurant menu album, a personalized next day's breakfast menu & weather forecast, etc. The b&b is beautifully appointed with a wonderful second floor balcony area guests can enjoy. Its close proximity to Commercial drive was perfect...just a 5-10 minute walk to nearby restaurants & bakeries. You'll just love waking up in the morning to experience Lynn's delicious gourmet breakfasts! You can really see that for Lynn & Michael running their b&b is truly a labor of love for them. This was our definite favourite Vancouver b&b and we look forward to the pleasure of staying here again next time we're in BC. Enjoy being spoiled at the Bee & Thistle...you'll love it as we did!!!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We chose this b&b from reading reviews on Trip Advisor and were not let down. Michael and Lynn work very hard to make your stay perfect. Delicious breakfasts, lovely decor and a feeling of calmness. We loved sitting on the verandah with a drink in hand, the home made cookies, reading tomorrow's breakfast menu, having cold drinks in the room fridge. The keypad locks are great and simple to use. Michael and Lynn were very helpful by dropping us at the Hertz car rental office where we picked up our hire car. They provide lots of little treats for their guests. It was a great start to our holiday in Canada.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The reviews about this B&B were spot on. The rooms are updated with modern facilities, while maintaining a charming ambiance. The king bed in our Ivy Room was very comfortable, clean, and the covers were very high quality. We slept like babies. Our hosts did an outstanding job making us welcome and meeting our needs, cannot say enough good things. Now, the breakfasts....Spectacular...everyone took pictures of the dishes served, each one picture perfect and delicious. A fine dining experience you will not soon forget. On our last day our hosts were out of town leaving us with an employee. Sierra was just terrific, she went the extra mile to please the guests, just a darling young lady. Finally, if staying in Vancouver do not miss this gem.