“Interesting tasty food - fixed price or a la carte”
Review of Two Chefs and a Table - CLOSED

Two Chefs and a Table
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Gastown
Ottawa, Canada
“Interesting tasty food - fixed price or a la carte”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We had dinner for 6 - everyone had the three course meal - I had devilled eggs, trout with some asparagus and mushrooms in philo pastry and baked Alaska. Others had steak and duck. With drinks $330.

• Visited April 2013

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Best Hidden food in The City”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Went here today for the first time! WOW is all I can say! The chicken and waffles is so amazing. The chicken was soaked in a buttermilk and was so moist it exploded in your mouth with juiciness :) The waffle was made to order on a waffle machine and was so soft and flavorful! The waffle came wit pecans and almond syrup. I am Going back here for the Southern Mac and cheese and now telling everyone about this HIDDEN but out of this world food !!!

• Visited April 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Arrived only to be told they were closing at 1230pm on sunday long weekend?!?”
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I saw the reviews on TA so decided to try this place. We called 10 mins before arriving there and was told there would be no wait. No mention they would close early. We got there to be told that they stopped taking orders... This was 1230pm. The reataurant was filled with people so i'm not sure how they figured that a slow morning would lead to a slow afternoon. Obviously it was a miscalculation on there part and unfortunate for us. Another couple also arrived at same time as us and they had the same disappointed feelings because they had called earlier to confirm.

So this review is not based on the food or any full dining experience only on first impression and customer service which was not the greatest. Be aware that even if you call to confirm 10 mins earlier, they can close on you.

Vancouver, Canada
“I'll give it another try but...”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Went to Two Chefs and a Table at the recommendation of a foodie friend who has been reviewing restaurants for 20 years and loves these guys.

We turned up just past 11 on a Saturday and were given the weekend brunch menu. Fair enough, everyone else was having brunch. First impressions: fun room - packed but not uncomfortably so. Like the kitchen-on-display decor, after all, it IS called "Two Chefs..." Waitress was friendly without being intrusive. Menu prices were reasonable.

Then we got our order. First to arrive was coffee in a French press, and it was excellent. But my Mimosa was flat. Next, my companion's French Toast: the two slices of French toast had what looked liked defrosted berries (not the "fresh" the menu promises) with too much juice making the toast soggy and cold, and not only did he not get the "warm syrup" - he got no syrup - had to ask for it. (There was a little pot of compote which was nice...) Ham was OK, eggs were good. Hashbrowns a tad cold & skimpy.

My order was French bread with ham and a poached egg. I had envisioned baquette-style crusty French bread so the unimaginative two slices that appeared were a bit of a let down. Again the ham was "OK" -- I had hoped for something tastier. The poached egg was perfect as was the sauce on top. Again, the hashbrowns were not hot and skimpy.

A bit of a let down -- probably because we went with high expectations -- although there's no doubt you get your money's worth. And I'm perfectly willing to go back for lunch and give it another go as others have raved.

• Visited March 2013
Vancouver, BC
“Cozy and Delicious”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Today was a bright, sunny day, and we wanted a bright, sunny brunch. We headed out from our secret location, soon arriving at 2 Chefs and a Table. Located at 300 Alexander St. in Gastown, this cozy restaurant is tucked into an industrial-ish, highrise-filled area near Main and Hastings. We were seated promptly, and settled in to peruse the menu.

I enjoyed my orange juice, fresh-squeezed, and Catie's coffee came in a giant French press, which she appreciated. The menu has what you'd expect for a casual brunch, but the devil was truly in the details, as each item had something that made it stand out from other brunch spots. Homemade jam, local meats, and eggs from happy chickens, to name but a few.

Catie chose the Classic Benny ($9,) which featured a thick slice of real ham and house-made English muffins, and I selected Big Lou's Breakfast ($12,) consisting of a pancake, breakfast sausage, ham, eggs, toast, and hashbrowns. As we settled in to wait for our food, the restaurant slowly started to fill up, so much so that by 10:00 there was a lineup outside. There was entertainment, though - the server said that the 5 police cars were responding to a report of a stolen car, and that the suspect didn't want to get out of the car, even after the dog unit showed up. 99 problems...

Anyhow, I digress. The wait was short, and our food soon showed up at our table. (While there are actually two chefs, as advertised, there is more than one table. There are actually quite a few.) The plates were well-presented, and the server brought the plate of garnishes first, just to increase our anticipation. The maple syrup, strawberry jam, ketchup, and vanilla butter were all delicious.

My meal was giant. The sausage and ham were really delicious, not fatty as at other places, and there was a blob of grainy mustard beside. The eggs were tasty, but the pancake really stands out in my mind. It was cooked with a thin slice of apple inside! The toast was toast-y, but the hashbrowns were a bit of a letdown. They were perhaps deep-fried, rather than cooked in a pan. After the care that had gone into the rest of the meal, they were a bit of a surprise. Nonetheless, I noshed happily.

Catie's Benny, on the other hand, were perhaps the perfect specimen of Benny. Light English muffins, toasted, with a piece of real ham, not deli meat, topped with poached eggs ("Just the way I like them! Not too runny!" she said) and with a dollop of hollandaise sauce, Catie was very pleased with her selection. Her potatoes, on the other hand, had suffered the same cooking fate as mine - a bit of a blot on an otherwise delightful meal.

A comfy atmosphere, friendly and attentive service, and tasty food makes this an ideal spot for a re-visit. Perhaps this could be the perfect brunch!

• Visited September 2012