“Afternoon tea nice”

Ranked #2,380 of 4,348 Restaurants in Vancouver
Neighborhood: Downtown
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We did the afternoon tea, it was very nice but the room is a tad dark for tea ( I like tea in a brighter area )
The items were excellent but the volume of sweet items was huge really huge. I would have also liked the sandwiches to be 1/2 the size and twice as many. Now after saying all we wonderful but smaller would have been nice.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (15)

Reviewed April 16, 2019

Want to experience Tea at the Castle? While in Vancouver, don't miss this opportunity. Go discover in this magnificent Hotel.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed September 25, 2017

bcchiick
Vancouver, Canada
Level
“A sad checkmark added beside this bucket list item”
Reviewed yesterday NEW
September 22 was my 50 th birthday.

To start with, six weeks of planning by my elderly mother , family and friends for a beautiful SURPRISE high tea at the Fairmont was ruined by the hostess. When my mother and I arrived, my mother checked in with her reservation. She said to the hostess that this was a surprise for her daughters birthday,I was a few feet behind her and as we were lead to the darken room at the back of the dining area, the hostess loudly states, the most of the other guests have arrived.
SURPRISE blown. The sadness on my mothers face was the start of a disappointing experience.

As most of the guests had arrived, we were waiting for the last person, she uses a walker as she has sever osteoporosis. This room is not disabled friendly. One step into the building with no wheel friendly information posted, on the east side. Then addional steps to the dinning area and then again four into this room. When asked where the wheelchair accessible entrances are , we were told " around the back of the building". Wow, in this day and age we were all shocked at lack of accessibility or assistance of the staff.

The tea theme was games, the dark room had many board games scattered around the room, all in their original plastic wrap. That was confusing, but the menu was even more confusing. Our waitress, all though lovely, did not explain to us what the menu or " theme" was all about. How did any of this relate to high tea.
Tea choices made and then our scones were brought out.... Lovely scones but sparse amount of compote and cream.
The main savoury and sweets came out in a small shelving looking display, very tall but has open sections so at least you can see the other guests you are having your meal with. The food selection was atypical of any high tea I have experienced. Now for 60 + per person, I guess sturgeon and beluga caviar is expected but was not enjoyed by all at our table.

The sweets were plentiful and enjoyable. Including chess pieces in white chocolate. Unique

The tea was served in individual silver pots but when a refill was offered, additional hot water was added to the tea, to only water down the beautiful seeped flavour. Terribly unfortunate.

I was given a beautiful dessert to go or my birthday.

I have had this " high tea" on my bucket list for a few years. I wish I had researched it better so the disappointment amongst my family, friends and myself would not have been experienced.

Date of visit: September 2017
1  Thank bcchiick
Reviewed May 21, 2017

The Tea was tasty, the scones were good but as for the rest of the High Tea-the Tea sandwiches dry and tasteless, thankfully I had the tea to wash them down with--at one point my daughter asked to try a different flavour of Tea, and really for the price of this meal a second pot of Tea isn't an outrageous request-well the wait staff were beside themselves and finally agreed and then brought the wrong flavour, all in all, don't waste your time here.

Date of visit: May 2017
1  Thank 56BUZZ56
Reviewed October 31, 2016

We enjoy tea at the Fairmont properties. This one is not as classic as the one in Victoria but great nonetheless.

Date of visit: October 2016