“AMAZING HOTEL!!! but…”

Ranked #9 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Berlin, Germany
“AMAZING HOTEL!!! but…”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Probably one of the best hotels I have stayed in! Really enjoyed my time in Vancouver, and a superlative stay, except for … read my caveats below

Staff: I will start with the staff because they were so awesome! Everybody friendly, helpful, and patient. Gary is an absolute legend who greets you by name each time you enter. They really make you feel welcome without being overbearing.

Rooms: Pure comfort and awesomeness.. soft welcoming bed… nice decor.. the bathroom with standup shower and heated floors was amazing!

Location: Right in the heart of downtown Vancouver… you are a stone's throw from everywhere, and a short walk to Transit station (from airport - take the train and save your money trust me).

Breakfast: MMMMMM DELICIOUS.. i'm getting hungry now thinking about it haha.. You have a choice from a few different options, always served up fresh and quickly. Included in room price too.

Extras: Free gym passes to Steve Nash! I never actually made it there, but coworkers / girlfriend told me it is an awesome gym

Caveats: Sadly I wanted to give this place a 10/ 10 review but 1 major / 1 minor gripe ….

Security - A man from Hotel staff Entered our ROOM! I'm in shower and my girlfriend unclothed on bed sleeping when someone knocked, then opened the door and came in the room!!! 'anyone here?" well yeah we are here in our room with the Do NOT Disturb sign on door. He quickly left without saying a word. This is my 2nd hotel in a row where staff have done this haha common trend or my bad luck? Anyhow I flagged this to Management, and apparently they are aware of the situation and are taking steps to correct - I seriously hope so.

Noise - Amazing downtown location means just that - you get the amazing downtown noise too - cars and traffic, drunks & homeless people yelling lol Not a big deal as I used earplugs and slept like a baby.

Overall - an amazing boutique hotel! Almost a perfect 10 but the caveats knock it down from this notch. I would still recommend the place, loved my stay there :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Schlampah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We had a great first time visit to Vancouver and stayed at the S.R. due to its location and reasonable price. The location couldn't be better and the room price included a full breakfast. Some of the earlier reviews said there was a breakfast buffet but when we were there it was a custom ordered individually prepared meal. The front desk staff were always ready to assist us in navigating public transport and describing local neighborhoods and restaurants. They greeted us upon every arrival and said goodbye each morning as we explored a wonderful city.
The room was new, and spotless although on the small side. The hotel definitely contributed to a great visit to B.C.

Room Tip: Not a room tip, but there is a wine and spirits store that is close by down stairs on the way to a t...
1 Thank jeffkoppel8
Whitchurch-Stouffville, Canada
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I travel through the USA, Canada, Central and South America 80+ days per year. I try many different hotels and am so pleased to stumble on the St.Regis in Vancouver.

Gary, Diana and the rest of the team are excellent.

Beds...perfect..

Lots of plugs on the wall by the desk...essential.

Rooms small but very well appointed - bathroom amazing.

Terrific bar in the hotel and top notch steakhouse next door.

Get free access to the best gym in the city around the corner - Steven Nash sports club.

Complimentary breakfast is substantial and free wifi.

I have found my permanent hotel in Vancouver - will never stay at another hotel in this city,

Well done!

Room Tip: I stayed in 103 - excellent room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mdlphins
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2014

What's not to like about this boutique hotel? The location is perfect! The hotel is close to everything -- a block away from the Central Station Stop on the Sky Train from the airport; minutes away from the heart of Vancouver's downtown; steps away from coffee shops, restaurants, shopping; 5 minutes from cinemas; 3 blocks from the Art Gallery; 10 minutes from Gastown; 15 minutes from Chinatown. The pub attached to the hotel is a great place to hang and the food is good. Want a coffee? Starbucks is right next door and Timmy's is across the street. The free breakfast is huge. The hotel staff are unbelievably attentive and helpful. Our room was clean, well-appointed, small but luxurious, with good lighting, comfy beds, beautiful linens and a window that opened. The bathroom was spotless with nice soaps, shampoos etc. Phone calls are free. We loved this marvelous hotel! We will be back and will recommend to friends.

Room Tip: This is a downtown hotel so there is street noise. If that is a problem for you, ask for a quiet roo...
1 Thank ramblingstone
monterrey
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

It's the best boutique hotel we ever stayed. The service is excellent. The rooms, the breakfast, concierge, location, everything was GREAT!!! It's a luxury boutique hotel. 1st class service.
The staff was very kind with us, they help us a lot with their recommendations.
We'll be back next time in Vancouver.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank valeria s
Osaka, Japan
Reviewed March 29, 2014

The whole team was friendly, helpful and I enjoyed having a few chats with them. Unfortunately the infrastructure is quite poor. I could hear people walking in the room above me. Also, you could always hear the late night crowd on the streets. I could not sleep at all.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
STregisVancouver, Manager at St. Regis Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
We’re certainly disappointed to hear that you didn’t get the great sleep we’d hope for all our guests while they’re here. We’re surprised to hear of the noise from other guests, the hotel is solidly-built and we have invested in noise-reducing materials throughout.

The noise from outside is something which isn’t unique to the St. Regis Hotel. It’s one of the realities of life for everyone who enjoys the convenience of being in the heart of a large vibrant city. With than in mind, we’re always ready to accommodate guests who are sensitive to noise by trying to move them to rooms facing away from the street.

Thanks for choosing the St. Regis Hotel, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly should you have any further comments or questions regarding your stay.

Jeremy Roncoroni
General Manager, St. Regis Hotel
gm@stregishotel.com
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed March 28, 2014

My husband and I spent four nights at the St. Regis Vancouver for part of our stay in Vancouver mid March 2014. We arrived at the hotel on a Wednesday evening at around 10.30PM after a long flight from Asia. While check-in was smooth and fast, we didn't feel that welcomed as the front desk staff was not that particularly friendly. There was nobody around to help us with our 3 suitcases from the taxi. You would expect a hotel that charges the rate St. Regis does to have a doormen or an extra staff on the floor around the clock to help guests with their luggage. Surprise surprise, when we checked-out from the hotel on a Saturday morning, nobody helped us with our luggage either - so I guess it wasn't really whether they have an extra staff around or not (as there were quite a few in the morning). That said except for our first evening, overall the front desk staff were very friendly and offered to give us travel tips.

The room we stayed in was on the higher floors (I think it was on the 4th floor) opposite Tim Hortons and A&W. It was clean and the decors were new and modern. Bathroom was lovely and of a decent size but the bedroom was quite small. Bed was lovely and pillows were great. The room was dark which was good for sleeping but it might not be as pleasant in the summer as I am not sure if the sun would shine in.

Amenity wise, there was no fridge in the room nor a kettle. Not a biggie as the front desk has a kettle on loan. Be forewarned though, they charged a $50 deposit for the kettle which we found on our bill when we checked-out. The staff were happy to reverse the deposit but we had to present the kettle to the front desk upon check-out. Again, for a hotel that charges the rate St. Regis does, I would expect a kettle to be an in-room facility and guests would not have to ask for it (and pick it up from the front desk) and pay a deposit for it. By the way, unlike France, it is not a North American / Canadian thing that hotel rooms are not equipped with kettles. On our stays in other hotels in Vancouver, the rooms always come with kettles / coffee makers.

Traffic noises were bearable (as you would expect anyway for a hotel in Downtown Vancouver in a prime location) but we could hear this low buzz humming from the windows. When we opened the windows, it became apparent that the buzz came from the facility at the back of the hotel. There was probably nothing that the hotel can do about it so we didn't really tell the front desk. Your ears would adjust to the buzz anyway after spending a few hours in the room. But if you are looking for a quiet hotel, I would choose another hotel. Gotta be realistic about some traffic noises in Downtown Vancouver though.

On the upside, breakfast menu was awesome and made to order. Portions were generous and there were plenty of food choices so guests would not be bored with the same food every morning. Location-wise, Pacific Centre is steps away so the location is perfect especially for travellers without a car. There is a sky train station right next to the hotel as well. We had a car so we used the secured underground parking adjacent to the hotel. Parking was a bit expensive at $31.5 a night with unlimited in-and-out privilege - acceptable but we stayed in another hotel in Vancouver that offered valet parking for less than that price.

If you don't have a car, pick this hotel for its convenient location but if you have a car, I would choose other hotels in the vicinity as you may get a better value elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors away from the back of the hotel.
1 Thank KCMP