“Great place to stay!”
Review of St. Regis Hotel

St. Regis Hotel
Ranked #9 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We booked this hotel based on tripadvisor reviews and we were not disappointed. The entire experience was excellent, we were checked in by professional friendly staff, our room was very suitable, clean and well decorated, breakfast was fantastic and included, staff were very friendly, overall a very positive experience and I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Donna21P

Reviewed February 10, 2014

My second stay at the St Regis. I'm in twin-share rooms, so a lot of space is taken by two beds, but the rooms are still an adequate size, nicely decorated, with safe, free wif-fi, plenty of plugs, etc. The bathrooms are fab. Best we had in Canada, really. Good pricing includes breakfast downstairs, with helpful waiter who acted like a concierge, although the front desk was of course very helpful too. There's a pub style bar/restaurant below which I definitely enjoyed last trip, but we eschewed that this trip because of the noise of ice hockey - not our thing. Connected to the hotel is the absolutely wonderful Gotham restaurant, where we had a wonderful meal. Sadly the coffee shop next door is a Starbucks so, as Australians, we eschewed that as well. The location is terrific - walking to Gastown, downtown, art gallery, public transport next door. Only problem was the smell as reported by another reviewer, caused, we found, by some new outdoor works. It would have been helpful if they'd told us about it beforehand. However, I would definitely stay there again because the work will be finished by now.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jane H
Reviewed February 9, 2014

In addition to a great, convenient location, the St Regis is one of my favourite hotels when travelling on business. Someone was really thinking when they designed the rooms. Little luxuries like heated bathroom floors, lit makeup mirror positioned by the window so a woman can actually apply makeup without having to squint in a dark bathroom, a safe in the room, lights and heat on when I arrived, tastefully decorated and both privacy screens and heavier curtains so I can work in privacy but not total darkness. The desk area has ample outlets for cellphones, IPads and laptops. Individual room high speed, complimentary wi-if (which is unheard of in downtown Vancouver where some hotels charge $15 per day), a hot custom made breakfast included with the room, and someone opening the lobby door for me every time I come and go. Given the reasonable price of this hotel, the spotless, luxurious rooms, vanities and showers, I feel pampered and would choose the St Regis over hotels charging twice as much. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: A higher floor may have less vehicle traffic noise but it is downtown Vancouver so total peace and q...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank AKTW
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I booked this hotel because of its top ranking in the area of downtown. After comparing the prices in its own website and booking agency, I booked it through elong, one of the booking agents. The location of this hotel is great. Just a few meter to Hotl Renfrew, a nice shopping center; next to sky train station; lots of commercial venues, etc. The breakfast is decent served with reasonable choices. However, the room assigned to me is 101. The window could not be opened since a low level roof with lots of trash were right out there. From mid-night, the bed room was full of strange smell which made me sleepless the whole night after awake at 3am. When I mentioned this to the front desk, it seems they have expected it. I do wonder, if the booking was made through hotel website, would this room be mine? I booked the room in 2 months advance with full payment guarantee and my staying were Wed & Thu. It's really hard to let me believe the booking WAS that full. Anyway, you could still choose this hotel as its location. Just make sure you get a room with an openable window and no strange smell. Good luck.

Room Tip: Don't stay in floor 1.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank JackieXian
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I expect to see Marcello Mastroianni and Anita Ekberg in the lobby. We seem to be in the Vancouver version of Federico Fellini’s “La Dolce Vita,” comfortably ensconced in the Executive Suite with a king size bed, large work desk, a living room with a double sofa bed separated by heavy sliding doors, master environmental controls, two 50’’ LCD TVs, mini refrigerator and many other lavish amenities. Our full marble washroom features a large soaker tub, double sinks and heated floors.

Vancouver’s independent, Canadian-owned and operated St. Regis Hotel boasts a complete renovation that has advanced this heritage building to the highest standard of comfort and finish; it also conforms to real estate rule number one: “Location! Location! Location!” Situated in the centre of downtown, adjacent to efficient SkyTrain service, it provides easy access to both YVR and Vancouver’s top tourist draws.

With an all-inclusive room rate, the hotel offers many extras that include complimentary full breakfast, (which we share with a young couple from Aberdeen, Scotland who were skiing at Whistler and wanted to take a break and see the city, choosing the St. Regis because it is centrally located, close to everything.) high-speed internet, free local and worldwide long distance, Fiji bottled water, Steve Nash sports club passes and business centre access.

And, we also happily inhabit an art gallery featuring the work of Hilario Gutierrez, Linda Murphy, Simon Addyman, Liz Jardine, and Jodi Mass – Canadian, American and British with a range of heritage from native and Hispanic to Asian and Irish. Their works decorate every floor and each staircase landing.

The St. Regis enjoys a storied past. With the start of the Second World War in 1939, the shipbuilding and lumber industry took off and the hotel assumed the role of Vancouver’s “Sportsman’s” hotel, hosting such NHL stars as Stanley Cup winner and New York Ranger coach, Muzz Patrick along with Maurice “The Rocket” Richard. Coley Hall, the owner, decided that he needed a hockey team, so for the 1943-1944 PCHL season, the Vancouver St. Regis took the ice. The “St. Regis Hotels” was Cyclone Taylor’s last team. He played on the first sports team in history to wear numbers on their jerseys, and led Vancouver when it last won a Stanley Cup in 1915.

Inspired by the ubiquitous hotel art, we decide to take in the Emily Carr exhibit, “Deep Forest,” at the nearby Vancouver Art Gallery located at Robson Square. Her mystical images depict the coastal forest landscape, and she reminds me of another favourite, Brantford’s Lawren Harris of the famed Canadian Group of Seven.

Back at the hotel, we stop by the St. Regis Bar and Grill next door and we note that for a century-old icon, the hotel is remarkably up-to-date with electric vehicle charging stations in its underground parking that would accommodate VIP Tesla owners such as Morgan Freeman, Demi Moore, Cameron Diaz, Don Cheadle, Stephen Spielberg, Will Smith, James Cameron and many other notables from nearby Hollywood.

Yes, La Dolce Vita indeed!

Room Tip: There is only one elevator & it's small so check out early or late to avoid waiting.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike K
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed at the lovely St. Regis for my husband's birthday weekend getaway in Vancouver. The hotel is situated right next to Granville station and a block away from the Pacific Centre mall. There are numerous restaurants, bars and shops within walking distance to the hotel.

The room is quaint, clean and comfortable. The shower is great with enough water pressure and a bench to sit when needed. The bathroom amenities include Acca Kappa products. My husband and I loved the bed. It was so cozy and comfortable and the pillows are the right kind of support. We slept very well on this trip.

The room comes with two bottles of Fiji bottled water daily, as well as a chocolate treat on the bed. There is a safe in the room and plush robes. Free wifi is also included in the room. The only negative is that you can hear street noise, especially at night when people are out walking on the street after partying. Bring ear plugs.

The room price includes a sit down breakfast in the lower level restaurant. Guests have a choice between the continental, traditional and classic. And the difference at this hotel vs. others is that it is served to you. It's a great change from the usual serve yourself continental breakfast at other hotels. The breakfast space is comfortable, clean and there are TVs surrounded throughout so you'd be able to watch the news while eating breakfast. The service is top notch and the wait staff is attentive to your needs.

The business center has two desktop computers that have fast and efficient internet connection. There is a lounge area in the center with leather couch seating, newspapers and a TV. It's a great waiting space for after check out too.

The parking is an extra charge but it is well worth it. The parking structure is underground and adjacent to the hotel in the next building. It's safe and secure. We also worked out at the Steve Nash fitness club which is located in the same building of where you'd park for the hotel. The hotel provides complimentary passes to the fitness club. It's a huge, tri level space of modern cardio and weight equipment. It's the biggest fitness club we've ever been to. There are also a steam and sauna room in the locker room area.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and applaud the St. Regis for their stellar service. We will stay here again when we return to Vancouver.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Eves V
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I want to say a big thanks goes to Juan on the front desk. Amazing service. He helped get to locations throughout my stay and of coarse he checked back with me to see how I went. I work in the hotel industry and this truly signifies that he is passionate about his job and his guests that stay with the St. Regis Hotel. This is my first trip overseas and he really helped me be comfortable in a foreign city and foreign country. Thanks again will be back in the near future.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo