“Nice, average, pretty hotel”
Review of St. Regis Hotel

St. Regis Hotel
Ranked #9 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Great location. Close to pacific centre mall. 20mins taxi ride from airport. Bit disappointed scaffolding outside windows. Concierge on days was lovely, breakfast server also. However upon arriving (midnight) there was confusion as my sister wanted to check in before us, arriving 5hours earlier on a flight and this seemed to cause some confusion. Hotel very clean. Bathroom lovely. Hotel rooms. Little small. But very nice.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed December 29, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located in the heart of Downtown Vancouver. We took the Canada Line Rail from YVR Airport (cost $7.75 per person) and took the City Centre exit (took about 25 minutes). It was about 5 minutes walk from the station exit to the hotel.

Our room was in the first floor. It was spacious and clean. There is Starbucks conveniently next to the hotel building. Also, Tim Hortons and A&W across the street.

The hotel staff are very nice and helpful. We complaint about the noise and they kindly moved us to the suite room (we appreciate it!).

Overall, we had a great experience here and would definitely come stay at this place if we visit Vancouver again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I had booked a one night stay on Dec 21st through CAA website for a king sized bed room. Upon arrival we were told our reservation could not be found but it was okay because there were rooms available. I insisted it made no sense. Then I was told I had cancelled my reservation 2 hrs after it was made. I flat out told them that was a lie. We were then told we could be offered a jr. suite at a rate higher than what I had booked. I pulled up my reservation on CAA's website and showed them it was still active. I was told it must be a CAA issue. I quickly told them that wasn't my problem - if they decided to partner with a travel company and couldn't keep their reservations in sync. In the end we got the jr. suite for the price I had booked.

Upon checkout we called and asked if a late checkout was possible. We were told we would get charged a half day rate if we left a minute past 12pm. My sister was shocked - not even 15 mins allowance?? The desk clerk told her no.

It is a beautiful hotel, breakfast was pretty good and they had free worldwide phone calls. However they really need to work on their service. I will most likely not return.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Pinedays
STregisVancouver, General Manager at St. Regis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

We apologize for the confusion regarding your reservation made through the CAA. Despite our best efforts, there are occasional hiccups in reservations made through third-party travel agents and we do our best to honour them.

Readying rooms’ new guests after check-out is a vital process for hotels. Unlike many other hotels, each of our cleaned rooms is subject to inspection by management, before guests check-in. While this process is slightly more time-consuming, it’s our way of ensuring that guests check into a perfectly made-up room every time they visit us.

We are flexible whenever we can be on late check-outs, but there are days when we are turning a large number of rooms, when every minute does indeed count. On these days, we are unable to offer late check out so that we can be sure that we are 100% ready for arriving guests.

Thanks for choosing the St. Regis Hotel and please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any further comment or questions.

Regards,

Jeremy Roncoroni

Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed on the last leg of our honeymoon from the 19th- 21st December! The hotel was easy to find in a very central location. We checked in to room 201 with a view of scaffolding and air conditioning units. The room was very nicely appointed but did feel quite claustrophobic with not much light in from the building work.
Despite telling the hotel in an email and on the booking that it was our honeymoon we didn't even get a card which I thought lacked the personnel touch. It is just the little things that make a difference.
One day we had been out all day in the heavy snow to return to our room at 3.15 to it not being serviced. I felt this was very unacceptable. I went down to reception but was told they have until 4 to do the rooms and this is how the hotel runs. I was not impressed with the attitude of this. A lady came up within 10 minutes but we got the feeling we had been forgotten.
We had one breakfast in the restaurant. It was ok but I wouldn't have been overly happy if we had paid for it and the server was not to friendly.
Overall it was clean and comfortable but lacking the personnel touches to make me want to return.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Excellent Employee service, Terrible Management

This hotel has excellent location. The front desk employees I have encountered are extremely courteous and respond quickly to my needs. But the management of the hotel is TERRIBLE!!!

I checked into this hotel on Dec 23 and out on Dec 25, 2013, stayed in room 214 and this is what I experienced.

Noise problem
In the morning of Christmas Eve Dec 24 at 8AM sharp, I was woken up by loud noises caused by loud nail banging, steel pipe dragging and renovation work noises. I thought I was dreaming but the noises got louder and louder for 5 continuous minutes until I realized it was real, and not a dream! I rushed to my phone and called front desk, and the noise disappeared in 5 minutes. One hour later at 9AM, the noises returned and I gave up complaining to the front desk. This was Christmas Eve for goodness sake, and 8AM/9AM in the morning!

Fortunately, on Dec 25 morning, there was no such noise.

Toilet
In the morning of Christmas Eve Dec 24, I realized the toilet was stuck. I called front desk and the problem was resolved quickly.

Room temperature
On Dec 24 evening at approximately midnight, I felt that the temperature in the room was a bit cold. I did not give too much thought to it and went to sleep at about 1AM.

At about 6AM the next morning, I was woken up by cold temperature. I looked at my watch on the table, which had a thermometer reading, and I noticed it showed 60F! I thought someone had opened my window, and when I checked around, the windows were closed tight. I went to the temperature controller and dial it up to 90F, and went back to sleep cuddled up in the thick blanket. At 8AM, my watch still showed 60F! I thought the controller has probably malfunctioned so I dressed up and went out for breakfast. And I was shocked to find out later on that the problem is not due to my room’s thermostat; in fact the rooms beside mine and above and below mine all have the same problem! Somehow, the noise that I heard yesterday morning may have something to do with repairing the central heating system, and I realized I was screwed. I called front desk to have the problem rectified ASAP, and in 10 minutes, a nice gentleman came to my room with a portable heater, and apologized for the malfunctioning of the central heating system! Unfortunately by then, my nose was running, and I soon had a bad flu, which is still plaguing me as of this writing.

Parking
There was a loading zone at the hotel front door where hotel guests are allowed to park their car for less than 3 minutes. I did not realize this and after circling the hotel premises twice and wasted more than 15 minutes (there was slightly heavy traffic), I called the front desk to ask where I can unload my suitcases. I was told there was this loading zone in front of the hotel door. I soon noticed there was a small movable triangular sign standing the front door on the pavement not easily seen by passing driver. OK, maybe I was careless to miss this sign. When I checked out of the hotel on the 25th morning, I parked my car on this loading zone so I load my suitcases. After loading, I went back to my car and as I was checking on my GPS, a car pulled up behind me and the driver started honking, gesturing me angrily to get out. I gave the driver a sign to drive pass me from the right as we were on a one way road with two lanes and there was no traffic that Christmas day morning. The driver continued to honk and luckily, the hotel front desk gentleman, the same gentleman that came to my room with the portable heater, shouted at the honking driver that my car has the right to stay in this loading zone as I was the hotel guest. The driver realized his blunder and moved away from the right. Apparently, the driver failed to see the loading zone sign the same way as I did two days ago when I arrived at the hotel.

From the above four incidents, I noticed that the hotel has excellent front end employee, who are extremely quick to respond to hotel guests’ needs, but I think all these problems that I have encountered can be solved by good management.

First, management should have notified all guests with a note in every room that there will be renovation going on beginning at what time. And renovation should not have take place on Christmas Eve, and certainly not at 8AM or even 9AM. The earliest should have been 9:30AM or even 10AM. I appreciate the quick response of the front desk personnel.

Second, toilet, I can excuse the management for this and applaud the front desk personnel for their quick service.

Third, failure of heating system of such magnitude should never have taken place in such a high-end hotel as St. Regis. I have stayed in other St. Regis in other countries, and the quality of my stays were always top notch, no complain. This St. Regis Vancouver is a great disappointment.

Fourth, parking. Signs should have been easily visible.

I came away with the conclusion that the management of this property needs to be either retrained or fired, and the front desk employees highly recommended. The hotel should have spent more effort in “fire prevention” and not “fire fighting.” What a terrible experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank ilovetrvl

Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your stay with us.

One of the difficulties of operating at 24/7 business like a hotel is that any mechanical repairs or renovations must be completed while the hotel is operating.

While city regulations for the start of construction projects, street work and garbage pickup is 7am, we limit that our contractors to a 9am and post guest notifications throughout the hotel to inform them of the ongoing work. We apologize for the fact that you were woken by our contractors when they started work earlier than our planned 9am and we have reiterated the rules to them.

We apologize for your heating issues and always encourage all our guests to contact us immediately upon noticing anything amiss. We could have kept your room much warmer by bringing in an extra heater earlier rather than later.

Finally, we would love to be able to follow your suggestion for larger street side signage for our drop-off zone but we are limited by City regulations to the current arrangement. In order to help our guests, we include a link to detailed parking instructions in our pre-stay emails to guests with reservations.

Regards,

Jeremy Roncoroni

Reviewed December 24, 2013

I was recommended to stay at this hotel during my recent visit to Vancouver, and my expectations were exceeded in just how nice this hotel is. I really loved the comfortable beds, the big screen TV, the professional and helpful staff, the breakfast, the clean rooms and the location. This hotel has it all, and was so well priced for the quality and location. I will be back, and will be recommending this hotel to my friends that visit Vancouver from now on.

Room Tip: I liked my room 202, it had separate rooms for sleeping with big doors that closed to give privacy f...