“Great hotel, well appointed, good value”
Review of St. Regis Hotel

St. Regis Hotel
Ranked #9 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I picked this hotel based on proximity to the business I was visiting and I would go back now every time. The hotel was well appointed, very nice rooms, clean, good service. The bar and grill attached had great soups and an IPA on tap.

Room Tip: they do have parking!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,601)

Reviewed December 5, 2012

My first trip to Vancouver for a family wedding staying at the St Regis following a recommendation from the bride. What can I say, what a great choice! The welcome on check in was lovely, a real personal touch. The room (smart queen) was spotlessly clean and the complimentary water was very gratefully received. Breakfast was cooked to order and delicious! Very friendly service by all staff, toning was too much trouble.
The hotel is perfectly placed for downtown Vancouver. We will definitely return.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed here for three nights and it was absolutely perfect. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful (particularly Ryan on the front desk). The beds are possibly the most comfortable we have ever slept in, in a hotel. Breakfast was amazing with so much selection and the wait staff are also really friendly. The room we stayed in was beautifullly decorated, making it really comfortable. The shower was brilliant. The hotel itself is located close to everything with easy access to Vancouver's fantastic public transport system. The food inthe bar is exceptional again with really friendly and helpful staff.The only bad thing about this hotel is that you eventually have to leave. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ShellandAds
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The hotel is clean and location is prime, but the overall experience was deeply unpleasant. I arrived at night, in the rain, lots of traffic and pulled up in front of the hotel where there is no actual parking place or loading zone -- it’s basically just a lane in busy traffic where you take your chances. There was no valet, just a sign that said to put your hazards on and stop for no more than 3 minutes. Obediently, I stopped, put on my hazards and cars immediately began backing up behind me. I ran into the hotel and the bellman thrust a fob at me with vague instructions on where to park. I ran back to the car where other cars had now begun honking. I drove down the street then down an alley and deep into the belly of a garage. I parked, rolled my tiny suitcase up an elevator, through the lobby of some other building, back down the alley, down the street through the rain, to the warm, dry lobby of the St. Regis where the bellman “thoughtfully” whisked that tiny suitcase away before I could object. Meanwhile, the desk clerk took my credit card “for incidentals.” (I’d already paid for the room on Expedia.) I went to my room (1st floor, 45 seconds away) where the bellman was hovering, awaiting his tip which I was unable to provide because I only had American $20 bills. It would have been truly useful if he’d come out in the rain when I pulled up and the cars started honking and escorted me to the garage and carried my tiny suitcase to the hotel. I would probably have given him $20 for that. Instead he offered a totally useless service and put me in an awkward position. I hate not being able to tip properly. Everything that happened later I blamed on my inability to give $3 to that bellman. How was the room? It looked out at a wall and was small, but perfectly adequate and clean. I was staying 2 nights and the next day someone came in while I was out and removed the trash, but didn’t straighten up the room at all, didn’t straighten the sheets on the bed. I didn’t care, but I think this is the first time that’s ever happened. Odd. I didn’t complain and wouldn’t have bothered to write this review but for what happened when I checked out. The desk clerk presented me with a bill for $50. I had stupidly assumed the parking was free because no one had told me otherwise. Genuinely surprised, I said, “No one told me there was a charge.” The desk clerk said, “I’m sorry, but those are our parking fees.” I said I thought it was wrong to charge someone without telling them in advance, and he repeated that these were the hotel’s fees.
Twenty-five dollars per day seems like a lot to pay for inconvenient self-parking. It’s what you pay for valet parking at other properties and I would have happily paid a valet to park my car that night, as this hotel has a truly harrowing drop-off situation.
Moreover, I might have willingly, if not joyously, paid $25-per-day to self-park if I’d been told when I first ran in from the rain. I was frazzled and wet and likely would have just sucked it up. But getting socked with the bill at checkout was really maddening and then the desk clerk handled it coldly and poorly. I paid the bill resentfully and left feeling irritated and ripped off, which probably bothers me as much as the $50. Like I said, the St. Regis is clean and the location is good, but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank TipsyBaker
STregisVancouver, Owner at St. Regis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear TipsyBaker,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay at the St. Regis with the TripAdvisor community.

Your comments about feeling uncomfortable by the bellman “hovering” outside of your room in the perceived wait for a tip is very disconcerting to read. We do our best to instill in all of our employees that our guests pay to stay with us for the best guest service and experience, and while gratuities are always appreciated, they are never to be expected. Anticipating gratuities in our industry is something that we as management find very unprofessional and, for lack of a better word, extremely tacky, and we have gone over your comments with the staff and hope that your experience was a one off and will not happen again.

In regards to parking, we sometimes,as you say, “stupidly assume” that everyone knows that parking in Vancouver always comes with a cost. $25/night + taxes is on the lower end of hotel parking in Vancouver. Although we are not able to offer valet service 24hrs, we do our best to make parking in our adjacent, key access only parking garage as easy as possible with directions on our parking passes and the parking sign outside of our front door. The cost to park is posted on our website as well as through Third Party Booking websites such as Expedia, but you are completely correct that this should have been reminded to you at check in. There is indeed a loading zone in front of the hotel marked by two poles; also some guests with local numbers will often phone us to meet them in St. Regis Lane with a pass if they are concerned about the traffic.
It sounds like it seemed like a chaotic moment with cars backing up, but regardless, it is our usual service standard to anticipate guests needing to park with us and assist thoroughly but quickly into the parking garage and we apologize that this service was not delivered for your check in.

After getting off on the wrong foot, we regret that we were not able to turn your experience around to a positive one. Again, we appreciate you sharing your stay with the TripAdvisor community to bring light these services that we can work on.

Warm regards,
Meryl Macdonald
Executive Assistant to the General Manager

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed at the St Regis over a long weekend in late November. In short, the hotel made the stay. Great, friendly, helpful staff that would do whatever you need to make your stay better. Bar manager worked hard to find a specific (and hard to find) event on TV, front desk was great and called us by name by the end of the first evening. Great location, close to restaurants and a short walk to many destinations. A 5 star stay and would go back to Vancouver just for the hotel.

Room Tip: Parking is a little tricky, but park on the street in front and run in to the front desk. They will...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This hotel made our downtown experience complete. We appreciate the one hundred year old history of the building and love how that history is complemented with modern and ecological touches. The location is perfect - everything we needed was within walking distance.
The people working at this hotel are amazing. From front desk to restaurant staff - everyone was friendly, patient and very helpful.
We will definitely be back to the St. Regis!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Front desk staff was very helpful at check-in. Our room was beautiful. The hotel has just enough quirk to make it endearing--a teensy retro-fitted elevator, etc. However, it was not made clear to us that parking isn't complimentary. The hotel has access to a garage, but charges $25.00/night + a 30% tax to park there. Due to poor communication on the booking website, it was not clear that this charge would be included.

Lastly, the complimentary breakfast is not terrible, but the dining hall was grossly understaffed. We were seated for half an hour before anyone came to take our order. We thought we would take advantage of the free breakfast to compensate for having to pay for parking, but it's probably not worth your time.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple