“A wonderful night”

Ranked #3 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
“A wonderful night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2005

Well From Driving up and the doormans nice welcome,
He must of radio ahead our names...FrontDesk welcomed us by name nice touch...we had a amazing room service dinner our server named Paul was wonderful. The service for breakfast was not as good...but food made up for it.

It's our 3rd time at The Wonderful WedgeWood Hotel We live in Vancouver and like to get away for a night or too every couple of months...We will be back...it's a great escape to relaxe and enjoy!

Keiko MacDonald

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2005

Warm staff, superb manager and extraordinary accommodations made my stay at the Wedgwood hotel a business trip turned vacation.

The reason for my stay was somewhat unique - I was in the process of relocating for work purposes from Toronto to Vancouver. While it was very tough to leave my family and friends behind, my first experience in Vancouver at the Wedgewood provided for a smooth transition. From the moment I arrived I felt welcome and comfortable - friendly and prompt service, as well as a welcome letter and box of chocolates waiting in my room. The room itself was superb - a balcony with a nice view where I could enjoy my morning tea and paper, a jacuzzi tub and an incredible bathroom with all the amenities. The service was also extraordinary; the staff were very warm, friendly and accommodating, and great at making someone new to the city feel at home. I particularly loved the bed turndown service, which was accompanied by decadent gourmet cookies.

The manager of the hotel, Philip Meyer, was both a gentleman and a host. His gracious, genuine manner adds to the Wedgweood charm. When we met I simply had to thank him for the best hotel stay I have ever had. I would recommend the Wedgewood to anyone visiting Vancouver, I am sure you will have an experience just as memorable as mine.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2005

I travel 18 cities a month. Besides my private residence, The Wedgewood Hotel is the only property where I feel right at home. The personal touches are what make the place; the staff are impeccable, fun, personal and always go out of their way to make everyone feel extraordinarily special. The quality of products & amenities in the rooms speak for themselves. The Bacchus restaurant & lounge is also one of the finest in Vancouver, you will not be disappointed. Should you try this property, you’ll never leave!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2005

The Wedgewood Hotel was one of the best hotel experiences I've had in all my travels around the world. I appreciate the smaller quaint hotels when traveling as the service is more personalized. This is definitely the case with the Wedgewood Hotel. From the time I gave my keys to the valet I felt very welcome at the hotel.

The rooms are luxurious and comfortable. I highly recommend a room with the jacuzzi bathtubs. It was a great way to relax after a walking tour of the shops on Robson St.

On top of the spacious rooms there is the Bacchus Bar and Lounge. All three meals offer a great selection of food and drinks to choose from. Once I ate at the hotel it was hard to find anything else in Vancouver that could compare. I highly recommend a stay at the Wedgewood Hotel. Vancouver is a great city and the Wedgewood Hotel makes it hard to leave.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2005

Several friends and I stopped by the Bacchus lounge on Friday night and had a fantastic time. Great atmosphere, wide array of late evening drinks (e.g., single malts, port, martinis, etc) and amazing desserts. We sampled three of their dessert options and were blown away.
We've stayed at the Wedgewood before and marvelled at the service and the restaurant was no different. We were seated quickly and the wait staff was attentive but not intrusive. To top it off, we were brought (free of charge) a basket of seasonal fruit and nuts to graze on as we finished our drinks...
Definitely one of the best rooms in the city, with service to match.

3 Thank Wornpassport
Seattle, wa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2005

We drove to Vancouver from Seattle for a mini-getaway right before the holidays. We wanted this trip to be special, and so we spent quite some time deciding which hotel to stay in. At the end we decided on Wedgewood. Big mistake.

Upon our arrival, we were told we were placed in "penthouse suite," which we assumed was an upgrade - it wasn't! We have made a reservation for a USD$269+tax Executive Suite, which was supposed to have either a king or two twin beds (we requested a king in our reservation). The room we were placed in had a double bed! When we got to our room, we thought it was a mistake and called the reception to let them know. We were told it was the only room they had available, and that that's what executive suit was supposed to look like anyway. The room was tiny!! I'm attaching photos.

That night, we were too tired to argue, so the next morning we talked to receptionist again, and were told that we should have "read the fine print" on Expedia (where we made the reservation), and that the king-size bed was "a request" from us they basically didn't have to meet. By the way, here's the description of the room from Wedgewood website:

****Executive Suite:*****
Studio room with mini-bar and private balcony. Extremely spacious, bright and beautifully appointed, they are always in demand. Bedding - One King-Size Bed or Two Doubles.

Just look at the pictures, please, and tell me if that's what you would expect from that description!

Anyway, after complaining to three different people we got "an upgrade" for our second night, after which we were placed in a room with a king bed and a slightly larger living area with a nice soaking tub. The staff at the hotel made it look as if they were doing us a favor, they never apologized for our inconvenience and generally were arrogant throughout our stay.

To top it off, my brand-new car was dented in valley parking (which by the way costs additional $26 per night) during our stay. We only found the dent after we drove a few hours away from Vancouver, so we didn't complain because, frankly, after all the "service" we received at the hotel we decided it was pretty useless. It was a small dent, but you can imagine it didn't add anything to our overall experience with our stay. Needless to say, I don't think we are ever coming back. For that $$$, there are other hotels to stay in the city were we are bound to get better service than this.

Maybe if we were placed in the right room from the beginning our experience would have been better, it is the only way I can explain all the positive reviews on this website. But, as you can see, if you ever run into any problems during your stay, they are not going to go out of their way to remedy them.

STAY AWAY!!!!

21 Thank ptpkn
San Pedro, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2005

The Wedgewood is a very nice hotel. It is fancy. The service is very professional. But it's just not that special.

They do so much right:
- They give you free cookies and water (even better!)
- They recognize special occasions (with fancy chocolates and a room upgrade)

But the Ritz-Carlton-esque French-chintz style of decorating feels so generic and so frankly out of tune with the Vancouver ethic. Even beyond the fact that I don't really love that style, much of the furnishings were starting to seem kind of threadbare and worn. Plus, certain comforts one would begin to expect from a luxury hotel -- DVD player, for example -- weren't present in a "Jr. Suite."

Location is great -- we did actually do a lot of walking (including a lot in the rain) and the central location made it quite easy.

In all, we had a fine stay (and the free business center helped us to check in for our flight the night before departure), but I'm not so sure I'd be eager to return to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2005